This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2010 2:28 AM by Lubiez Jean-Valentin RSS

Reduce the size of Archive Logs

saima Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear Friends

I am running oracle 9.2.0.1 database on 2003 server.

My database is in archive log mode and archive size is 100 MB. I want to reduce it to 10MB.

how can I get this? please guide me in detail

regards
  • 1. Re: Reduce the size of Archive Logs
    sybrand_b Guru
    100 Mb is really tiny!!!
    You also most likely won't be able to get a 90 percent reduction.
    The easiest solution is to set the compress attribute of the directory you are saving the files in. This is transparent to Oracle, and you will get savings.
    You can also zip the file using your favorite zip utility. You won't get 90 percent reduction.

You would be better off
    - buying extra disk
    - get rid of 9.2.0.1 as soon as possible. Support for Oracle 9i will stop end of July.

----------
    Sybrand Bakker
    Senior Oracle DBA
  • 2. Re: Reduce the size of Archive Logs
    Lubiez Jean-Valentin Guru
    Hello,
    My database is in archive log mode and archive size is 100 MB. I want to reduce it to 10MB.

how can I get this? please guide me in detail
    In fact the size of your archived logs is generally fixed by the size of your online redo logs. So if you reduce
    the size of your online redo logs you'll get smaller archived logs.

But, the consequence will be that your database will have more redolog switchs (they will be filled ten times
    faster as you reduce their size from 100 Mo to 10 Mo) and, it's not good for the performances.

More over, you'll get ten times more Archived logs (ten times smaller), so the space used by the Archived logs
    won't change (it depends on the database activity).

So, as previously posted, it may be better to compress the Archived logs so that they finally use less space.

If you decide to compress them, you should check that the database is not writing (archiving) on it, the view
    V$ARCHIVED_LOG may help you to get the list of the redo logs already archived.

Hope this help.
    Best regards,
    Jean-Valentin

Edited by: Lubiez Jean-Valentin on Mar 6, 2010 11:22 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points