This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2013 12:54 PM by 999644 RSS

Teradata Vs Oracle Exadata

758876 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Everyone,

I am not sure whether can I post this query here,if I had distrupted the ethics of the forum I am slapping my self.

I have expierence of 4.5 Yrs in Oracle Database and have expierence in 10g,Dataguard.Now I am planning to learn RAC with ASM in the meanwhile I got offer to Learn Teradata.

Can anyone have idea about career in teradata like the workprofile,perks PA for Teradata.

How would teradata could compete Oracle Exadata.

TIA for your suggestions.

Thanks,
Raj Shekar
  • 1. Re: Teradata Vs Oracle Exadata
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    Raj,

I am not sure that the comparison you are doing between Teradata and Exadata is correct. What is your understanding about both? What do you think both are? According to me, its an mangoes to grapes comparison. Teradata is another rdbms like Oracle db but with a different architecture, like Oracle uses Shared-Everything and I believe, for Teradata, its shared-nothing! And exadata is a machine, a hardware server which is designed to optmize the performance of the databases in many many folds. So not sure why you picked up both for comparison in the first place?

About picking teradata, its another rdbms as I just said and doing/working/studying any rdbms seriously enough won't give you any bad results down the line ever. Weigh your options correctly and pick Teradata if you really want. If you ask me, after spending 5 years with Oracle like you did, I wouldn't do that but that's just me, YMMV!

Aman....
  • 2. Re: Teradata Vs Oracle Exadata
    758876 Newbie
    Hi Aman,

Thnks for your reply,the comparision I am doing between teradata and Oracle is the work profile(how would be working with Teradata Database compared to Oracle like when I need to work with MS SQL DB I feel working with Oracle gives more) and more importantly I know that in market almost 85 % are using Oracle after making carrer in Teradata how would be the carrer growth.

Thanks,
    Raj
  • 3. Re: Teradata Vs Oracle Exadata
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    user9313932 wrote:
    Hi Aman,

Thnks for your reply,the comparision I am doing between teradata and Oracle is the work profile(how would be working with Teradata Database compared to Oracle like when I need to work with MS SQL DB I feel working with Oracle gives more) and more importantly I know that in market almost 85 % are using Oracle after making carrer in Teradata how would be the carrer growth.
    Raj,

As I said before, every database has its own methodlogies and set of functions. You can't say that this is bad or that is good. Yes, Oracle is most popular because of the features it have but still, there are people who use mysql, db2, sql server and teradata even for numerous reasons. This is a choice that you have to make. I personally know one guy, a friend of mine, who worked with oracle for many years, joined Teradata corp and worked there for couple of years and now again, he has come back to oracle world. And just for the record, he is not a fresher or someone who changed companies just for the sake of money. He actually chose to work with Teradata because he wanted to see how things are there on the other side. He worked in the company itself for couple of years as a senior consultant. He saw, didn't like and came back. So it all comes down to your choice of things. I don't think doing either of oracle or terdata would be going to give you any wrong outcomes ever.

HTH
    Aman....
  • 4. Re: Teradata Vs Oracle Exadata
    393015 Newbie
    well, it may be an old discussion but i see Aman totally wrong here.

Teradata and Exadata are totally comparable since both claim to be a warehouse systems. Please see the what the OP wants
  • 5. Re: Teradata Vs Oracle Exadata
    FahdMirza Oracle ACE
    I fully concur with Ahsen here.

By all means, Teradata and Exadata are comparable.

Oracle Exadata is 'n product family of high-performance data warehouse appliance. Infact, Exadata takes many leaps further, but then there is cost factor attached to it.

regards
  • 6. Re: Teradata Vs Oracle Exadata
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    ahsen.javaid wrote:
    well, it may be an old discussion but i see Aman totally wrong here.

Teradata and Exadata are totally comparable since both claim to be a warehouse systems. Please see the what the OP wants
    Exadata is NOT a "+data warehouse+". It is a storage technology (specifically for RAC storage, using Infiniband and RDMA protocol) that can be used for data warehouse storage (Exadata v1) and also OLTP storage (Exadata v2).

It does not claim to be a data warehouse. IT NEVER DID. It claims to be a superior storage technology (and backs that up with facts and figures).

From http://www.oracle.com/us/products/database/exadata/index.htm:
    Oracle Exadata Storage Servers combine Oracle's smart storage software and Oracle's industry-standard Sun hardware to deliver the industry's highest database storage performance.
    (my bold emphasis)

Please check your facts before resurrecting an old thread for the sole purpose of taking pot shots at a poster.
  • 7. Re: Teradata Vs Oracle Exadata
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    Ahsen,

The EXadata was as a DSS based machine when it first came. Its version 2 which is called +database machine* is for both DSS and OLTP. Moreover, Exadata is a storage technique/equipment which is also having an intelligent algorithm working with it where as Teradata is nothing but a database ( just like Oracle database) which would be stored somewhere. So I am not sure how both are supposed to be called same or comparable.

HTH
    Aman....
  • 8. Re: Teradata Vs Oracle Exadata
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    Fahd,

Please read the link completely and also mine and Billy's description.
    http://www.oracle.com/us/products/database/exadata/index.html

HTH
    Aman....
  • 9. Re: Teradata Vs Oracle Exadata
    FahdMirza Oracle ACE
    Thanks Aman for the link. My point is just that Exadata and Teradata are comparable because both are, have been and can be used for Data warehouse.

best regards

Fahd

Edited by: Fahd Mirza on Apr 23, 2010 3:02 PM
  • 10. Re: Teradata Vs Oracle Exadata
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    Fahd Mirza wrote:
    Thanks Aman for the link. My point is just that Exadata and Teradata are comparable because both are, have been and can be used for Data warehouse.
    Fahd,

Sorry to say but this again is wrong for two reasons. One, Exadata is not for DSS alone. Its version 1 was but the current version is for both OLTP and DSS. The second reason, one is a DB and the other is a storage solution , apples and oranges here.

HTH
    Aman....
  • 11. Re: Teradata Vs Oracle Exadata
    FahdMirza Oracle ACE
    Well, if I build a data warehouse by using Teradata technology and then another data warehouse using oracle exadata technology, then I believe that I can compare both?

best regards
  • 12. Re: Teradata Vs Oracle Exadata
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    Fahd Mirza wrote:
    Well, if I build a data warehouse by using Teradata technology and then another data warehouse using oracle exadata technology, then I believe that I can compare both?

best regards
    You don't have a Teradata technology Fahd. You have a DB called Teradata which is normally considered to be optimized for DSS! Its not at all different from using ORacle in the same DSS environment. But the Teradata's algorithms are optimized for DSS kind of queries. That's all!

Now, Exadata, on the other hand is a storage solution which is having disks, cpus and above all, a very intelligent software working in the backend, making it an ideal solution for anything which would run over it!

So, again, I am not sure whether it would be right to compare both!

Regards
    Aman....
  • 13. Re: Teradata Vs Oracle Exadata
    389403 Journeyer
    Completely agree with Aman, exadata is software and hardware in one box, + it is consists of several small servers that work in Oracle Grid technology, it means that if tomorrow you will sea that there is insufficient resources
    You can just buy 1u server plug it to the exadata and extend your grid, this operation will be done online! The performance of exadata is significant.
  • 14. Re: Teradata Vs Oracle Exadata
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Fahd Mirza wrote:
    Conceptually.. but that would be comparing Oracle (as a product solution) with Teradata (as a product solution) - and not comparing the storage architecture and technology of Oracle Exadata with Teradata.

Oracle data warehouses can run on Linux AMD86_64 kernels. Would you know say you want to compare Linux AMD86_64 kernel technology with Teradata to see which is the better data warehouse?

Do not confuse technology components with the actual business solution.

Also keep in mind that Oracle data warehouses can be build with other storage technologies too. You do not need Exadata to build an Oracle data warehouse.
1 2 3 4 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points