6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2010 4:52 PM by R. Royal

Problem with ORACLE ODBC DRIVER

R. Royal
      Hi,
      I've an application that connect to Oracle via ODBC
      When I try to connect I get this error:

Error during writing ODBC data source information into the registry: Oracle ODBC for Oracle
      Data source name not found and no default driver specified

In ODBC Data Source Administrator in User DSN I have only "Oracle in OraDb10g_home" e if I try to add e new data source I can add only "Oracle in OraDb10g_home"

How can I fix my problem?
      Must I install Oracle ODBC for Oracle?
      If so How can I install it?

Thanks in advance!
        • 1. Re: Problem with ORACLE ODBC DRIVER
          Mark D Powell
          What platform?

Using what tool/language?

Is an Oracle cleint installed, if so what version, is more than one client installed?

What is the full version of the target database and is it local or remote?

We need a little bit more detail to work with.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --
          • 2. Re: Problem with ORACLE ODBC DRIVER
            R. Royal
            What platform?
            Windows 2003 server 64bit

Is an Oracle cleint installed, if so what version, is more than one client installed?
            Oracle 10.2.0.4 server

What is the full version of the target database and is it local or remote?
            local

Maybe I need to run Windows \SysWOW64 \odbcad32.exe??
            • 3. Re: Problem with ORACLE ODBC DRIVER
              oradba
              There are still a lot of problems with ODBC on Windows 64bit, refer to this thread:

Does Oracle have a 64-bit ODBC Driver.

Werner
              • 4. Re: Problem with ORACLE ODBC DRIVER
                avramits
                You need to install oracle(64 bit) client on 62 bit computer. If you are installed 32 bit, then you have to use odbcad32.exe from C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64 directory.
                • 5. Re: Problem with ORACLE ODBC DRIVER
                  R. Royal
                  my platform is: Windows 2003 server R2 Enterprise x64 Edition Service Pack 2
                  My application run to 32 bit

the ODBC Data Source Administrator run from C:\Windows\system32\odbcad32.exe
                  If I double-click on C:\Windows\system32\odbcad32.exe I can see only "Oracle in OraDb10g_home"

In C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe
                  If I double-click on C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe and "select a driver for which I want to setup a datasource" I can see many driver ODBC and if I try to add the "Oracle ODBC for Oracle" I get this error:

The setup routines for the "Oracle ODBC for Oracle" ODBC driver could not be load due the system error code 193.
                  Could not load the setup or translator library.

Have someone any idea??
                  • 6. Re: Problem with ORACLE ODBC DRIVER
                    R. Royal
                    I found what means the error code 193:
                    ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT
                    193 (0xC1) %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

If you are talking about ODBCAD32.exe, then it looks like the installation of the driver mis-registered a 32 bit driver ad 64 bit or vise-versa. It is trying to load either a 32 bit driver from the 64 bit version (C:\windows\system32\odbcad32.exe) or trying to load a 64 bit driver from the 32 bit version (C:\windows\syswow64\odbcad32.exe). As the driver listing is determined by registry keys that are set on installation of the driver, it is likely that the driver installer has a fault which is causing it to be mis-registered with ODBC.