9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2013 4:35 PM by bigdelboy RSS

    Problems with S-E-X censorship.

    75407
      The english noun S-E-X is often used in column names and other contexts denoting the gender of an individual ... however as far as I can tell it is being rendered as 3 asterick (stars).

      This even happens under the code tag:
        select SEX AS "Gender" ,COUNT(*) as "Count" from EMP group by SEX;
      
      Gender Count
      ------ -----
      M          8
      F          4
      Now while SEX could be used in a context ... let us say in terms of a liason with Pompey Lil, which may be deemed appropriate for censorship, the use of the three astrick can result in some unfortunate renderings not intended by the poster who does not check his preview (like bigdelboy), as in some contexts *** can be very offensive, while S-E-X is not; and others may think *** has been offensively when S-E-X was intended.

      Can I therefore request that SEX is permitted.
        • 1. Re: Problems with S-E-X censorship.
          Hans Forbrich
          bigdelboy wrote:
          Can I therefore request that SEX is permitted.
          While I certainly support your argument to removing the censorship in the forums, the specific question you ask about should really only be discussed with your wife ;-)
          • 2. Re: Problems with S-E-X censorship.
            125857
            That last sentence just LOOKS so bad-LOL!!!

            Evita
            • 3. Re: Problems with S-E-X censorship.
              Hans Forbrich
              <OT>
              Evita wrote:
              That last sentence just LOOKS so bad-LOL!!!

              Evita
              I am also a Toastmaster (Advanced - Silver). In a recent speech I discussed how to keep a marriage vibrant for 29 years. The linchpin to the speech was 3 words: "We", "love" and "sex". After the laughter (and gasps) died down, I explained that I'd given them 3 words, not a phrase. Then I told the audience to get their mind out of the gutter and proceeded to discuss how these 3 words - individually - could be used as reminders to maintaining a long-term, happy, marriage.

              Now .. get your mind out of the gutter, as I want to roll mine through ...
              </OT>
              Therefore, in defense/support of bigdelboy and this thread: censorship requires context.

              Which means simply that in some cases it is not a single word, but the combination and proximity of a number of keywords. The word in question here is innocuous by itself, but in conjunction with a number of others it can certainly provide weight toward censoring a word or even a post or thread.

              Much like is done in Oracle Text :-)
              • 4. Re: Problems with S-E-X censorship.
                Billy~Verreynne
                bigdelboy wrote:

                Can I therefore request that SEX is permitted.
                You mean it is not!? +<horrified expression>+ ;-)

                In the same vein, guys like Tom and Harry are welcome here. Their friend Dick on the other hand is not.
                • 5. Re: Problems with S-E-X censorship.
                  jduprez
                  In the same vein, guys like Tom and Harry are welcome here. Their friend Dick on the other hand is not.
                  Their innocent cousin Willy is luckier.
                  • 6. Re: Problems with S-E-X censorship.
                    jgarry
                    Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
                    bigdelboy wrote:

                    Can I therefore request that SEX is permitted.
                    You mean it is not!? +<horrified expression>+ ;-)
                    SEX is fine. Lying about it on expense reports, that'll set off your golden parachute. Scorning a woman so she puts up a billboard about it isn't necessarily a great career move either.

                    >
                    In the same vein, guys like Tom and Harry are welcome here. Their friend Dick on the other hand is not.
                    My, Larry was sore at the HP board.
                    • 7. Re: Problems with S-E-X censorship.
                      Billy~Verreynne
                      jgarry wrote:

                      SEX is fine. Lying about it on expense reports, that'll set off your golden parachute. Scorning a woman so she puts up a billboard about it isn't necessarily a great career move either.
                      Yeah.. that one was.. well, made me wonder what type of person would do that until I saw "+oh sales and marketing+" and then went "+of course, what else can one expect+".

                      >
                      My, Larry was sore at the HP board.
                      Rule #1256. Don't diss Larry's golfing buddies.

                      The Ferengi stole their Rules of Acquisition from Larry... poor bastards (should they ever try to deal with Larry)
                      • 8. Re: Problems with S-E-X censorship.
                        jgarry
                        Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
                        jgarry wrote:

                        SEX is fine. Lying about it on expense reports, that'll set off your golden parachute. Scorning a woman so she puts up a billboard about it isn't necessarily a great career move either.
                        Yeah.. that one was.. well, made me wonder what type of person would do that until I saw "+oh sales and marketing+" and then went "+of course, what else can one expect+".
                        My, Larry was sore at the HP board.
                        Rule #1256. Don't diss Larry's golfing buddies.

                        The Ferengi stole their Rules of Acquisition from Larry... poor bastards (should they ever try to deal with Larry)
                        Yes, the rules were softened in translation, such as rule 57:
                             Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

                        Didn't Larry assimilate the Borg around stardate 54977, picking up the pieces of the unimatrix for a song?
                        • 9. Re: Problems with S-E-X censorship.
                          bigdelboy

                          Hello me,

                           

                          Checking out this thread I see the new incarnation of the forums does not censor old s[nospace]e[nospace]x content.

                           

                          However if I attempt to add the word it won't let me ... I think .. it seems silently disallowed at the time of trying to post this ...  (It's all so flakey I can't me sure... dont seem to have a preview either)

                           

                          hmmmmm ..........