6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2010 5:06 PM by ynandi

"Approve and Forward"  vs "Forward" of PO documents

ynandi
      Hello

(a) Why would the system have an "approve and forward" capability ? Once the approver has approved, why does he/she want to manually forward the PO ? What is the purpose of the forward ? The system allows forwarding the PO to anyone defined as an employee in HR even though the person may not have any approval authority ????

(b) Why would the system provide the capability to Forward a PO ? Forward to anyone defined in HR who may not have approval authority????

Since we are clearly defining the approval hierarchies in PO setups, I am confused as to why the system allows
      the approver to deviate from the approval hierarchy by providing manual forwarding options.

I would think that the only valid options should be "Approve", "Reject" and "Reassign".

If the approver is sick or on vacation, he/she can delegate to someone else.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated

Yesh
        • 1. Re: "Approve and Forward"  vs "Forward" of PO documents
          gareth.roberts
          Simple answer is that sometimes PO's need non-financial based approval, or an approver wants to forward to another staff member for informational purposes only.

Regards,
          Gareth
          • 2. Re: "Approve and Forward"  vs "Forward" of PO documents
            ynandi
            Gareth:

If they need non-financial based approval, should'nt that have been setup in the approval hierarchy ?

I guess I am not understanding why the design allows the user to deviate from approval hierarchy setups by allowing him to manually forward
            the PO anywhere ......... what is the point of the approval hierarchy ?

Yesh
            • 3. Re: "Approve and Forward"  vs "Forward" of PO documents
              S.PDASH
              Hi Yesh,
              Your question :

*(a) Why would the system have an "approve and forward" capability ? Once the approver has approved, why does he/she want to manually forward the PO ? What is the purpose of the forward ? The system allows forwarding the PO to anyone defined as an employee in HR even though the person may not have any approval authority ????*

Ans : 1) When you only checked "Submit for approval" option of PO approval form, system basically takes the approval based on the setup (Employee - Supervisor or Positional Hierachy), it follows the normal approval process defined in the system. If you don’t select Forward, Purchasing will automatically send the document to the appropriate person in the Approval Path (if you’re not the appropriate approver).

2) You have Forward option in the PO approval form b'coz it gives an oppurtunity to forward to a person to approve the PO even though he/she is not defined as buyer's supervisor or falling in the Positional Hierarchy approval process. e.g. Vice President / President has an unlimited approval authority of any company and he can approve any PO. In short, you can get your PO approved by someone who is having the authority to approve but may or may not fall in the approval process. This also helps to bypass normal approval process if it is required in case of there is an emergency.

*(b) Why would the system provide the capability to Forward a PO ? Forward to anyone defined in HR who may not have approval authority????*

Ans : If someone is not having the authority to approve a PO but you forwarded the PO to him in that case PO will continue the approval process with the next person in that Approval Path. If the Forward To person is not in the default (or selected) Approval Path, and also does not have enough approval authority, you will receive an Approver Not Found notification.

c) If the approver is sick or on vacation, he/she can delegate to someone else.
              Ans : For this kind of situation we normally define vacation rule or we use Forward option to get the PO approved.

Hope this will help.

Regards,
              S.P DASH
              • 4. Re: "Approve and Forward"  vs "Forward" of PO documents
                ynandi
                S.P. Dash

Just to be clear, I am looking at the Workflow Notification form that has buttons like "Approve and Forward" and "Forward". In the PO form, I only have a "Submit" button in Buyer Work Center (R12.0.6). I have removed the Forward button using personalization in the PO form.

(a) <<<<<<In short, you can get your PO approved by someone who is having the authority to approve but may or may not fall in the approval process. This also helps to bypass normal approval process if it is required in case of there is an emergency. >>>>>>

That makes sense .......... however, in the Workflow Notification form the "Approve and Forward" button allows me to forward to anyone in the organization.
                How do I prevent this LOV from only displaying president and vice president ?

(b) OK.

(c) OK.

Yesh
                • 5. Re: "Approve and Forward"  vs "Forward" of PO documents
                  S.PDASH
                  Hi Yesh,
                  Thanks for clarifying that you are looking for "Approve and Forward" option of Workflow notification page. Initially I thought you are looking the same in PO approval page..

"Approve and Forward" option of Workflow notification basic functionality is to approve the PO and forward it to the next approver (may or may not be in the system generated approval list). In simple word, a person with the final authority to approve the document approves it, but then forwards it to someone else for additional approval, here the PO status will be changed to Pre–Approved.

In R12 we have an option to introduce or enter a new approver between 2 approvers of normal process.

Your question : How do I prevent this LOV from only displaying president and vice president ?
                  We believe this you can do through WF customization....

Hope this helps...

Regards,
                  S.P DASH
                  • 6. Re: "Approve and Forward"  vs "Forward" of PO documents
                    ynandi
                    Thanks S.P.

So in R12, using the "Approve and Forward" button in the WF notification screen, the user can deviate from the system generated approver list for additional approvals.

The "Forward" button in the WF notification screen is used for forwarding the PO without approving to someone on the system generated approver list