8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2010 1:53 AM by Tanel Poder RSS

32-bit oracle client for a 64-bit Oracle Server

Due to a 3rd party application's requirement, I may be forced to use 32-bit client of Oracle 10gR2 on the application server to connect to a 64-bit DB server (another box). The OS is SUSE Linux ver 10. Platform is x86.

- Does this result in performance degradation? Does Oracle has any recommendations about this kind of scenerio? Searched the net without much gain.

Please help. Thanks.
        • 1. Re: 32-bit oracle client for a 64-bit Oracle Server
          EdStevens
          dakshin wrote:
          Due to a 3rd party application's requirement, I may be forced to use 32-bit client of Oracle 10gR2 on the application server to connect to a 64-bit DB server (another box). The OS is SUSE Linux ver 10. Platform is x86.

- Does this result in performance degradation? Does Oracle has any recommendations about this kind of scenerio? Searched the net without much gain.

Please help. Thanks.
          You should be fine.
          • 2. Re: 32-bit oracle client for a 64-bit Oracle Server
            Lubiez Jean-Valentin
            Hello,

I may be forced to use 32-bit client of Oracle 10gR2 on the application server to connect to a 64-bit DB server
            I don't see your DB Server version.

The most important is that the Oracle Client and Server versions are compatible.

Else, I don't see any trouble to connect to a 64 bit Oracle Server from a 32 bit Oracle Client.

Best regards,
            Jean-Valentin
            • 3. Re: 32-bit oracle client for a 64-bit Oracle Server
              My server DB version is also 10gR2 (10.2.0.4.0 - 64bit).

There are no problems connecting to 64-bit DB server via 32-bit client. I have tested this. Question is: Does this have any disadvantages / performance problems? Are there any recommendations from Oracle?

Thanks.
              • 4. Re: 32-bit oracle client for a 64-bit Oracle Server
                Hans Forbrich
                dakshin wrote:
                Question is: Does this have any disadvantages / performance problems? Are there any recommendations from Oracle?
                I suspect there might be performance issues if you attempted to send a 2GB packet. ;-)

Other than that - no. I don't see any situation in which a 32 bit client would have, or create, performance issues on the server.
                • 5. Re: 32-bit oracle client for a 64-bit Oracle Server
                  Thanks for the reply.

1.Will the response time at the application server be better if I could use a 64-bit client?

2. 2^32=4GB; Will the 32-bit client be constrained to access data sets of maximum 4 GB at a time?
                  • 6. Re: 32-bit oracle client for a 64-bit Oracle Server
                    Hans Forbrich
                    dakshin wrote:
                    Thanks for the reply.

1.Will the response time at the application server be better if I could use a 64-bit client?

2. 2^32=4GB; Will the 32-bit client be constrained to access data sets of maximum 4 GB at a time?
                    Not by any use of the software that I can imagine. Network packets are typically limited to under 1 MB (under 16K) in any case, so you never pass the 32-bit need from a networking side.

The only time I see needing a 64-bit client is if you are using OCI and trying to compile and link to a C program. In which case your link libraries need to be 64-bit aware.

Tanel might have other ideas based on his experience.
                    • 7. Re: 32-bit oracle client for a 64-bit Oracle Server
                      Hans Forbrich
                      On further thinking, I guess it really depends on what we mean by 'client'.

My answer is based on using the definition 'Oracle Client = Oracle Networking' and I was restricting myself to the network layer only. (This seems to be the traditional 'Oracle' interpretation of client.)

If you mean SQL*Loader, Import/Export, etc, then using the 64-bit client could have a performance benefit.
                      • 8. Re: 32-bit oracle client for a 64-bit Oracle Server
                        Tanel Poder
                        No problem with 32bit client whatsoever (well at least not because of the word length anyway).

And if you have both, it will be relatively easy to test with a little OCI/ProC demo application (not sqlplus as it's not a very precise measurement tool), but I wouldn't even worry about it. I'd install the application, test and see if it performs acceptably. If yes, then I'd stop worrying and would go out for a beer.

--
                        Tanel Poder
                        http://tech.e2sn.com