This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2010 8:49 AM by Stan - Herrman RSS

applying cpu with a physical standby in place - 11g

stellr Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
187242.1 covers this wrt 9i. Is this topic covered for 11g specifics somewhere? Can't google/metal ink it anywhere. Thanks.
  • 1. Re: applying cpu with a physical standby in place - 11g
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Pl see if MOS Doc 813445.1 (Applying CPU Patches With Standby Database In Place) can help. It is generic enough to apply to 11g. Opening an SR may also help.

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: applying cpu with a physical standby in place - 11g
    stellr Newbie
    813445.1 - Applies to: Oracle Server - Enterprise Edition - Version: 10.2.0.4
  • 3. Re: applying cpu with a physical standby in place - 11g
    Stan - Herrman Newbie
    The "readme" for Patch 9369783 (which covers the AprilCPU for our 11.1.0.7 HPUX-IA64 environment) includes this short reference to DataGuard:

---
    If you are using a Data Guard Physical Standby database, you must first install this patch on the primary database before installing the patch on the physical standby database. It is not supported to install this patch on the physical standby database before installing the patch on the primary database. For more information, see My Oracle Support Note 278641.1.
    ---

When checking that note 278641.1 we see that it also appears to only cover 10.2. Although this note has more detail, it is clearly the same procedure as discussed in 813445.1. Therefore, the conclusion that I make is: OPatch works exactly the same with DataGuard in 11g as it did in 10g.

We will be upgrading our DataGuard enviornment to 11g in one-month. At this point, I am completely expecting our OPatch procedures to remain unchanged from what we have done for years with 9i and 10g. I would also note that the upgrade procedures we have tested (involving DG from 10.2.0.4 to 11.1.0.7) are nearly identical to the above mentioned support notes.

Hope that helps,
    Stan

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points