This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2011 2:07 AM by G.Y RSS

Oracle 11g R2 Windows Installation issue

765119 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hey everybody,

i was trying to install Oracle 11g R2 on a Windows Server 2008 64-bit machine. During the installation i am getting an error message multiple times (about 20 times) where it says it cannot find certain files like C:\app\ora11g\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\oc4j\j2ee\oc4j_applications\WFMLRSVCApp.ear and some other files too. If i click move on in the dialog box each time an error occurs the installation will succeed and finish successfully.

What am I doing wrong, do I have to change anything before installation starts?

I am using the correct 64-bit installation files i downloaded from the Oracle homepage...

Edited by: user12266335 on 07.04.2010 05:32
  • 1. Re: Oracle 11g R2 Windows Installation issue
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Welcome to the forums !

Pl confirm that you are following the Install Guide at http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e10843/toc.htm

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: Oracle 11g R2 Windows Installation issue
    477205 Newbie
    I was experiencing a similar issue. The first file it did not find was:

$ORACLE_HOME\oc4j\...something...\em.ear

There were many more after that.

To give you some background, I unzipped my downloaded files pieces (1 and 2) in the the default directories.

That created two folders:

...\win32_11gR2_database1of2
    ...\win32_11gR2_database2of2

When I got the errors that files were missing, I thought I would try choosing my directory
    in which to unzip the files. I made sure they now went to the same directory:

...\win32_11gR2_database

After doing so, I did not get the errors I got before. Install was successful. This technique is specified in the documentation to some extent. However,
    I think they need to emphasize that this is required or else the install will not work. Unlike Oracle 9i when we had multiple installation
    directories (disk1, disk2, disk3, etc), the 11gR2 installer does not seem to be able to automatically find the other/next directories. Seems like an oversight
    or a step backwards to me.
  • 3. Re: Oracle 11g R2 Windows Installation issue
    765119 Newbie
    Hey schavali,
    thanks for the welcome. Yes I Did follow the install guide

greetings
    Sebastian
  • 4. Re: Oracle 11g R2 Windows Installation issue
    765119 Newbie
    Hi Chris,

thanks for your response. I will try this as soon as I can. I hope it works but it sounds good ;-)

But i couldn´t find anything specific in the documentary about it...

Greetings
    Sebastian
  • 5. Re: Oracle 11g R2 Windows Installation issue
    477205 Newbie
    No problem, Sebastian. FWIW, it's in the part where it talks about extracting the files before installation...I think it is the pre-install tasks. I did not see it either when I did the install...after doing Oracle installs for so many versions/years, that's usually the part of the doc you can skip by now. That's why I thought it should be better marked as a requirement. Oh well, no big deal. Goes to show we should always read the docs for a new OS before the install. Funny thing, I have does this on Linux many times and when you unzip the files, they automatically go to the correct location. That sort of inconsistency makes things less intuitive. That's why we get the big bucks as they say. :)
  • 6. Re: Oracle 11g R2 Windows Installation issue
    hans forbrich Oracle ACE Director
    SKramer_MuM wrote:
    Hi Chris,

thanks for your response. I will try this as soon as I can. I hope it works but it sounds good ;-)

But i couldn´t find anything specific in the documentary about it...
    I think that might not be in the documentation.

It is on the download site. Right under the link you click to get the software.
  • 7. Re: Oracle 11g R2 Windows Installation issue
    765119 Newbie
    Hi Hans,

know I found where it contains the information about the downloads. It only shows up when you click on the "See All", but it won´t show up if you directly download via the Disk 1 or Disk 2 link on the download page. What brings up more confusion is when you click on the "See All" button next to the download for the 32-bit Version of 11g R2 for Windows an error comes up. So I think Oracle needs to improve its homepage a lot...

But thanks anyway...
  • 8. Re: Oracle 11g R2 Windows Installation issue
    hans forbrich Oracle ACE Director
    SKramer_MuM wrote:
    Hi Hans,

know I found where it contains the information about the downloads. It only shows up when you click on the "See All", but it won´t show up if you directly download via the Disk 1 or Disk 2 link on the download page.
    Good point. I never would have believed noobs would stop at that page and not be curious about what other stuff might be available under 'See All'. Stuff like the 'De-install' package.

Since you didn't do it, I posted a comment/suggestion in the Download forum to put an additional note on the top 11gR2 download page.
    What brings up more confusion is when you click on the "See All" button next to the download for the 32-bit Version of 11g R2 for Windows an error comes up.
    Worked for me.

You reported your error ... where?
    So I think Oracle needs to improve its homepage a lot...
    If you have ideas there is a forum "Forum Home » Technology Network Community » Community Feedback and Suggestions" in which you you are welcome to submit comments.
  • 9. Re: Oracle 11g R2 Windows Installation issue
    765119 Newbie
    Hi Hans,

thanks for the tip with the Technology Network Community Forum. I´ll keep that in mind und submit next time...

Greetings....
  • 10. Re: Oracle 11g R2 Windows Installation issue
    766360 Newbie
    #

Create a directory on your hard drive. For example:

C:\> mkdir \install
    C:\> mkdir \install\database

#

Copy the contents of the installation media to the directory that you just created.
    #

After you have copied all of the required installation files, see the "Installing the Oracle Database Software" section.
  • 11. Re: Oracle 11g R2 Windows Installation issue
    766360 Newbie
    Create a directory on your hard drive. For example:

C:\> mkdir \install
    C:\> mkdir \install\database

Copy the contents of the installation media to the directory that you just created.

After you have copied all of the required installation files, see the "Installing the Oracle Database Software" section.
  • 12. Re: Oracle 11g R2 Windows Installation issue
    nabeel khan Newbie
    I downloaded the files from OTN with following names:

win64_11gR2_database_1of2.zip
    win64_11gR2_database_2of2.zip

Extracted both into the SAME directory with these names

C:\Oracle\Disk1
    C:\Oracle\Disk2

Started the installation from C:\Oracle\Disk1\database\setup.exe

And the Installation failed due to file not found of {C:\app\11g\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\oc4j\j2ee\oc4j_applications\WFMLRSVCApp.ear and some other files too}

I went through the http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e10843/toc.htm but there was nothing which mentioned where or how to rename the directories.

All my downloaded files were in the same directory but still I was facing the problem.

As both zip files contained database folder so I couldn't override the files.

I solved the file not found issue by coping all the folders under C:\Oracle\Disk2\database\stage\Components to C:\Oracle\Disk1\database\stage\Components

After restarting the installation it went like a charm and without any issues.

Regards,
    NK
  • 13. Re: Oracle 11g R2 Windows Installation issue
    694915 Newbie
    hi,
    this is the best answer to da problem..thank u very much..

regards
    sunil
  • 14. Re: Oracle 11g R2 Windows Installation issue
    814061 Newbie
    Chris.Ruel wrote:
    I made sure they now went to the same directory:

...\win32_11gR2_database

After doing so, I did not get the errors I got before. Install was successful.
    This was very helpful also to me, I'd been trying for 3 days to install and uninstall Oracle, not knowing what was wrong till I found your solution :D

Thanks!!

Edited by: Dru on Jan 26, 2011 1:01 AM
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points