Scot Krause wrote:Good for you and thanks for posting.
This is a tough one. I had an SR open for a while and finally got this solved.
1) The workstation service must be present and started. For whatever reason, I did not have this service available, so I had to install.
2) Make sure you are on either a static IP address or the microsoft loopback adapter. I STRONGLY recommend a static IP address, as doing so will make life a lot easier later when you try to start OEM DB control (for whatever reason, OEM does not like the microsoft loopback adapter). I took my laptop home, put my laptop on a static IP address over wireless, and this problem (plus my never ending OEM problems) disappeared.
3) Delete all unnecessary files in your temp directory (usually c:\temp).
I made these 3 changes, and I went from 100% failure to 100% success.