5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2013 6:51 AM by Panos RSS

Changing af:messages width and height

Chris Muir-Oracle
      Hi gang

Does anybody have a suggestion how I can expand the default width and height of the af:messages popup under JDev 11.1.1.2.0? From what I can see there are no styles defined in the skin, no properties on the component, and the inline style width/height properties are ignored.

Your help appreciated.

Regards,

CM.
        • 1. Re: Chaning af:messages width and height
          John Stegeman
          Hi Chris,

As far as I have seen, the component expands to the size needed to contain the messages therein, is it that you want it to be bigger than that? Just curious as to the use case.

As a side note, Googling for "af:messages size" finds a page titled "**BREAKING NEWS*** Keyshia Cole's New Nose" which I thought was amusing. I'm putting that in here so that people searching for Keyshia Cole's New Nose will find JDeveloper :P

John
          • 2. Re: Changing af:messages width and height
            Chris Muir-Oracle
            I have to agree with 9 of the 14 respondents Keyshia Cole's new nose is indeed natural looking :-)

The problem we're getting is two fold:

a) Occasionally our error messages have long words, the messages tag isn't hard wrapping, and this is resulting in a horizontal scroll bar.

b) Sometimes the number of messages displayed is greater than the vertical space, so we get a vertical scroll bar.

c) Sometimes both, which looks cr@p.

The combination can make the app less user friendly as the user has trouble assessing/reading the error messages.

While we can do some minor tweaking to minimize word length and number of error messages, the preferred method would be just to increase the size of the dialog.

CM.
            • 3. Re: Changing af:messages width and height
              SamsonFu
              c) Sometimes both, which looks cr@p.
              That's exactly what my client is complaining.

As the monitor size is getting bigger and bigger nowadays, more and more clients were complaint about the bad UI of small error dialog with scroll bars.

Do you have found any solution for this issue?

Samson Fu
              • 4. Re: Changing af:messages width and height
                Chris Muir-Oracle
                No. I suggest you lodge an SR with Oracle Support.

CM.
                • 5. Re: Changing af:messages width and height
                  Panos
                  You might find useful the excellent solution that is provided at the following link:

Controlling the Sizing of the af:messages Dialog

https://blogs.oracle.com/groundside/entry/controlling_the_sizing_of_the

by Duncan Mills

Edited by: Panos on Apr 28, 2013 4:50 AM