This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2013 4:41 AM by Niv_D RSS

Why does my sqlplus password line not function

768800 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
With windows 7, I successfully installed Oracle Database XE. I then attempted to update Application Express to 3.2... In attempting to update, at the very start of the process, I'm directed to open sqlplus, which in turn requires me to input my username and password. While I can enter a username successfully after Enter user-name:, I am unable to enter anything after Enter password: The cursor just sits there on the password line and does not move regardless of what I do. Then an error message appears if I hit Enter. ERROR ORA 01017 invalid username/password. Logon denied. Repeated attempts produce the same result and there seems no logical explanation for what is happending.
  • 1. Re: Why does my sqlplus password line not function
    clcarter Expert
    input my username and password
    What values are you using for the connection, sqlplus wants a database username and password (system/<passwd defined at install time>) or perhaps sys as sysdba; or another database user (not a windows nor OS login) depending on the what you're trying to do-
  • 2. Re: Why does my sqlplus password line not function
    768800 Newbie
    While sqlplus may expect to see something it can respond to, I am unable to type anything on that password line. Since I an unable to type anything, as if the cursor is stuck, the program is unable to respond and the line stays blank. This problem does not occur on the Username line.
  • 3. Re: Why does my sqlplus password line not function
    clcarter Expert
    How are you starting sqlplus, using the "run sql command line" shortcut? Its probably a bit easier to go to a command box, change directory to where the apex3 files were unzipped and run it from there-

Start/Run ... cmd
    cd <drive:>\apex3 directory ...
    sqlplus /nolog
    SQL> connect / as sysdba;
    -- or connect system/passwd or just connect <username> it will prompt for a password
  • 4. Re: Why does my sqlplus password line not function
    768800 Newbie
    My problem is not getting to the password line, which I can do, but when I get to the password line. Whenever I get to the password line, the cursor blinks as if it is waiting for a response. But when I attempt to enter my password, or any letter on the keyboard, the cursor merely sits in place and does not move. As a result, I am unable to perform the Application Express upgrade to 3.2.1. I am using the Run SQL Command Line.
    It would be very helpful if Oracle would provide a version 10 that already included the 3.2.1 upgrade rather than having to go through the upgrade process, which I am unable to perform.
  • 5. Re: Why does my sqlplus password line not function
    Niv_D Newbie
    I had the same problem . Type in the Username : sys as sysdba . this works .

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points