13 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2010 9:27 AM by 761559 RSS

Oracle Cluster Registry (OCR) is not shared across all the nodes . . .

Dears,,

While installing Oracle clusterware Release 2 (10.2.0.1.0) on Linux ( Red Hat 32-bit ) i faced the following error . . .
      The location /ocfs/clusterware/ocr, entered for the Oracle Cluster Registry (OCR) is not shared across all the nodes in the cluster. Specify a shared raw partition or cluster file system file that is visible by the same name on all nodes of the cluster."

I searched a lot but with no result.
      *Please , how can i solve it?*
        • 1. Re: Oracle Cluster Registry (OCR) is not shared across all the nodes . . .
          sb92075
          Please , how can i solve it?
          Specify a shared raw partition or cluster file system file that is visible by the same name on all nodes of the cluster."
          • 2. Re: Oracle Cluster Registry (OCR) is not shared across all the nodes . . .
            Dear,,

I am new in RAC installation
            Please , how can i make this?

See , i did the following before . . . Is this true?
            Mount the file system. To mount the file system, execute the command below on both nodes.
            # mount -t ocfs2 -o datavolume,nointr /dev/sdb1 /ocfs
            mount the file system on boot, add the following line in /etc/fstab on both nodes.
            /etc/fstab
            /dev/sdb1 /ocfs ocfs2 _netdev,datavolume,nointr 0 0
            I created Oracle Clusterware directory.
            On rac1,
            # mkdir /ocfs/clusterware
            # chown -R oracle:dba /ocfs

Please , provide to me step by step solution
            It will be highly appreciated.

Edited by: Oracle D B A on Apr 24, 2010 6:12 PM

Edited by: Oracle D B A on Apr 24, 2010 6:17 PM
            • 3. Re: Oracle Cluster Registry (OCR) is not shared across all the nodes . . .
              sb92075
              Do you have a storage device & disk controllers that allow more than 1 computer to access the storage concurrently?
              Please provide hardware storage details

Post Operating System (OS) name & version for DB server system.
              • 4. Re: Oracle Cluster Registry (OCR) is not shared across all the nodes . . .
                See,,

I created two virtual machines as at a test environment.
                I installed on both of them Linux Red Hat 32-bit
                I have now rac1 , rac2 virtual machines.
                The first step now is to install Oracle clusterware Release 2 (10.2.0.1.0) on rac1
                but i faced an error as mentioned above.
                The second step after solving the error and finish installing the cluster is to install Oracle database 10g Release 2.
                • 5. Re: Oracle Cluster Registry (OCR) is not shared across all the nodes . . .
                  Dears,,

I am still face this problem.
                  I think that no sharing between the both virtual machine in the same directory cause this error.

So , how share directory between two Linux virtual machines?
                  I mean , if create file in the directory in the first VM , I must see it from the second VM.

Edited by: M o h a m m e d on Apr 28, 2010 3:16 PM
                  • 6. Re: Oracle Cluster Registry (OCR) is not shared across all the nodes . . .
                    share direcotries are configured in the vmware configuration file.disk.locking=false should be set for this...
                    use this link for better understanding for RAC on VMWARE.....

http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/10g/OracleDB10gR2RACInstallationOnCentos4UsingVMware.php

Thanks & Regards
                    Dilip(Ora DBA)

Edited by: Dilip Kumar (Ora DBA) on Apr 29, 2010 6:18 PM
                    • 7. Re: Oracle Cluster Registry (OCR) is not shared across all the nodes . . .
                      Dear,,

May be there is miss understand . . .
                      I don't mean the shared directory that asmdisk2-flat.vmdk and ocfs2disk-flat.vmdk , . . . . etc are located.
                      No , i did not mean this.

Let me explain again to you:

I am trying to install Oracle RAC on two Linux nodes . . .
                      I created two virtual machines as a test environment.
                      I installed on both of them Linux Red Hat 32-bit
                      I have now rac1 , rac2 virtual machines.
                      But i faced the following error as attached:

Oracle Cluster Registry (OCR) is not shared across all the nodes
                      So , i need to make directory shared between the both nodes
                      directory is /ocfs/clusterware
                      I need to make this directory shared between them
                      I mean , if create file in this directory in the first node , I must see it from the second node.
                      As example:
                      On first node:
                      [root@rac1 clusterware]# touch test
                      On second node:
                      [root@rac2 clusterware]# ll
                      Should find test file

You got my point now?
                      How can i make this please?

Thanks & regards,,
                      • 8. Re: Oracle Cluster Registry (OCR) is not shared across all the nodes . . .
                        There is some limitation with VM ware.....So

Just because of this first we install the OS on one virtual machine and make shared directory then just copy it to another place and renamed it to rac2 rather than installing anoter OS

Read carefully at column Create Shared Disks and Clone the Virtual Machine

http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/10g/OracleDB10gR2RACInstallationOnCentos4UsingVMware.php#create_shared_disks

Regards
                        Dilip

Edited by: Dilip Kumar (Ora DBA) on Apr 30, 2010 5:12 PM
                        • 9. Re: Oracle Cluster Registry (OCR) is not shared across all the nodes . . .
                          Dear,,

I already followed steps located in the following link . . .
                          [http://www.docstoc.com/docs/4603014/Install-Oracle-RAC-10g-on-Oracle-Enterprise-Linux-Using-VMware-Server/]

and i created the following in my lap top drive J:\

J:\RAC Virtual Machine\RAC\RAC 1
                          J:\RAC Virtual Machine\RAC\RAC 2
                          and J:\RAC Virtual Machine\RAC\Shared Storage
                          that contain the following:
                          asmdisk1.vmdk , asmdisk1-flat.vmdk , asmdisk2.vmdk , asmdisk2-flat.vmdk ,
                          asmdisk3.vmdk , asmdisk3-flat.vmdk , ocfs2disk.vmdk , ocfs2disk-flat.vmdk
                          • 10. Re: Oracle Cluster Registry (OCR) is not shared across all the nodes . . .
                            Ronny Egner
                            For Oracle 10.2.0.1.0 you need some kind of raw device mapping if i remember correctly. This should be handled in the guide. Please check that. In addition to that make sure all disks are seen by both nodes (fdisk -l).

By the way: If you install 11g R1 or 11g R2 clusterware you will make your life much easiert because 10.2.0.1.0 is quite old and on top of that has a lot of bugs and limitations. So my recommendation is to go at least with 11g R1 (you can still run 10g database with 11g clusterware and asm....)

--
                            Ronny Egner
                            My Blog: http://blog.ronnyegner-consulting.de
                            • 11. Re: Oracle Cluster Registry (OCR) is not shared across all the nodes . . .
                              For Oracle 10.2.0.1.0 you need some kind of raw device mapping if i remember correctly. This should be handled in the guide. Please check that. In addition to that make sure all disks are seen by both nodes (fdisk -l).
                              How can i use fdisk -l to make sure all disks are seen by both nodes?
                              By the way: If you install 11g R1 or 11g R2 clusterware you will make your life much easiert . . .
                              From where and how can i know that Oracle Database 10g is compatible with 11g clusterware R1 or R2 ?
                              Is Oracle Database 10g is compatible with 11g clusterware R2 also?
                              • 12. Re: Oracle Cluster Registry (OCR) is not shared across all the nodes . . .
                                Ronny Egner
                                How can i use fdisk -l to make sure all disks are seen by both nodes?
                                You have to manually compare the output of "fdisk -l" on all nodes regarding name, total size and so on.
                                From where and how can i know that Oracle Database 10g is compatible with 11g clusterware R1 or R2 ? Is Oracle Database 10g is compatible with 11g clusterware R2 also?
                                Clusterware AND asm must always be at least at the same version as your highest database version.
                                So if youre running a 10.2.0.4.0 database your asm AND clusterware version must be at least 10.2.0.4.0 but can also be any higher version (up to 11.2.0.1.0).

You can check my statements at http://support.oracle.com

Genereally speaking Oracle recommends to use always the most recent version of clusterware and asm.

--
                                Ronny Egner
                                My Blog: http://blog.ronnyegner-consulting.de
                                • 13. Re: Oracle Cluster Registry (OCR) is not shared across all the nodes . . .
                                  fdisk -l in both nodes are the same and the following lines i attached them for for sdb

rac1 Disk /dev/sdb: 536 MB, 536870912 bytes
                                  rac2 Disk /dev/sdb: 536 MB, 536870912 bytes

rac1 64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 512 cylinders
                                  rac2 64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 512 cylinders

rac1 Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 = 1048576 bytes
                                  rac2 Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 = 1048576 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
                                  rac1 /dev/sdb1 1 512 524272 83 Linux
                                  rac2 /dev/sdb1 1 512 524272 83 Linux