7 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2010 1:22 AM by prasad bolla - oracle77354 RSS

Using BI Apps with applications other than Oracle, Peoplesoft and ....

Hi all,

I'm new in BI Applications. We have developed our applications with oracle tools and technologies. Is there any possibility to use Oracle BI Apps with our own database and applications?

Regards,

Iman
        • 1. Re: Using BI Apps with applications other than Oracle, Peoplesoft and ....
          remc0
          yes there is, you can use the universal adapter, meaning, you can connect every source system by creating your own interface to the datawarehouse. However, I think you really have to look if you really want to use BI applications or perhaps you just want to use OBIEE without the BI apps content...
          • 2. Re: Using BI Apps with applications other than Oracle, Peoplesoft and ....
            thank you for your reply.

Would you please explain me more about universal adapter. I didn't heard about it!

Thanks in advance.
            • 3. Re: Using BI Apps with applications other than Oracle, Peoplesoft and ....
              I'll try to explain the "Universal Adapter."

So Oracle BI Applications contains the presentation catolog (prebuilt reports and dashboards), the .rpd (prebuilt business logic), and the Informatica Repository (the ETL process).

The warehouse model stays fairly consistent regardless of the platform. The "ETL Process" runs through SDE (source depent extract), SIL (source independent), and PLP (post load) mappings.
              By utilizing the "Universal Adapter/Container" you are still able to utilize the standard .rpd and presentation catalog.

Essentially the Universal Adapter is in place to allow a user to develop discover the data needed by the "SDE" mappings, while still utilizing the rest of the functionality provided with BI Applications. This can be an overwhelming task, and I do suggest you do fairly comprehensive analysis before you attempt to utilize Oracle BI Applications with the Universal Container.

Depending on the magnitude and scope of your deployment, you might be better off developing the ETL process on your own. However, there are instances where the universal adapter can be incredibly usefull.

HTH,
              Austin
              • 4. Re: Using BI Apps with applications other than Oracle, Peoplesoft and ....
                Austin,
                As per Oracle installation process, for DAC metadata import
                "In the Applications List table, use the check boxes in the Selected column to specify the source system applications for which you will import the ETL metadata, as follows:
                a. Select the check box next to Universal.
                To avoid possible ETL errors in other applications (for example, missing tasks), you must import the Universal application.
                b. Select the check box for any other business applications"

Are you referring to this "Universal" in your post.
                What get from guide is that, Universal is the super set of all applications like Siebel 1.1, Siebel 1.1 Vert, Peoplesoft etc... Plz corret me if im wrong.

Thanks.
                • 5. Re: Using BI Apps with applications other than Oracle, Peoplesoft and ....
                  prasad bolla - oracle77354
                  Austin/Priti,

Even i understood universal container as "the super set of all applications like Siebel 1.1, Siebel 1.1 Vert, Peoplesoft etc"
                  Is that not correct?
                  I am confused now.
                  Please get me out of this confusion.

Thanks,
                  Prasad Bolla.
                  • 6. Re: Using BI Apps with applications other than Oracle, Peoplesoft and ....
                    What Austin has mentioned, seems to be correct.
                    I had imported Universal in DAC, & it was not the superset. I didnt even import any OLTP S_* tables not the change capture.
                    Then i imported Siebel 8.1.1, the containers was what i needed with all S_*, W_*, change capture process...

I still cant get why Oracle installation guide has mentioned "to import Universal to avoid any errors"...
                    • 7. Re: Using BI Apps with applications other than Oracle, Peoplesoft and ....
                      prasad bolla - oracle77354
                      Priti,
                      thank you..got it..to be more precise

Universal Business Adaptor :
                      --------------------------------
                      1. Use for sources with no prepackaged business Adaptor
                      2. Extracts, transforms and loads data from Universal Sources :
                      - Extract mappings get data from files
                      - No source-specific logic is embedded.
                      - Sources are flat files
                      - Adaptors are easily modified to support relational and MQ Series sources.

Thank you,
                      DNV Prasad Bolla.