This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2010 3:44 PM by 726616 RSS

Primavera keeps changing dates when I don't want it to

771497 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Please reference the attached pictures... I want the infection control in the preconstruction category to be scheduled for 4/14, but it can happen any time during preconstruction. Primavera keeps making it start with the beginning of pre-construction and ending with the end of pre-construction since it doesn't have any other precedocessor or successors. How do I make it so it shows that it's scheduled just for 4/14?
Also, Primavera keeps changing the lag times on all my activities, even for starting milestones it will reschedule it to some random date. How do I keep primavera from picking random dates to start on when I hit schedule. See Pic 1 and 2 for what my schedule looks lke after I hit autoschedule

http://www.primaveratools.com/Portals/4/activeforums_Attach/p3_sample.JPG

http://www.primaveratools.com/Portals/4/activeforums_Attach/p3n.JPG
  • 1. Re: Primavera keeps changing dates when I don't want it to
    726616 Explorer
    user13064368 wrote:
    Please reference the attached pictures... I want the infection control in the preconstruction category to be scheduled for 4/14, but it can happen any time during preconstruction. Primavera keeps making it start with the beginning of pre-construction and ending with the end of pre-construction since it doesn't have any other precedocessor or successors. How do I make it so it shows that it's scheduled just for 4/14?
    change activity type from wbs (summary) to task (dependent). wbs summary activities are supposed to act as you described above.
    Also, Primavera keeps changing the lag times on all my activities, even for starting milestones it will reschedule it to some random date. How do I keep primavera from picking random dates to start on when I hit schedule. See Pic 1 and 2 for what my schedule looks lke after I hit autoschedule
    by "lag times" do you actually mean lag (e.g. +5d) or lead (e.g. -5d) values for relationships (one of FS, SS, FF or SF types) or are using the term loosely?

all not-started activities (even milestones) can start earliest (ES) on the data date (DD) unless predecessor relationships, constraints and/or levelling options push them even further into the future. the DD is no random date.

try checking network logic. you can even use a few constraints, but i would do so moderately as they definetly soften or even break the logic of your activity network.

best of luck,
  • 2. Re: Primavera keeps changing dates when I don't want it to
    771497 Newbie
    changing to independent still makes it start with the project start instead of the designated date. I ended up fixing this my uncheckin ES and make it AS. For the other problem I will make a new thread to make easier to understand because I know there is a simple solution to it.
  • 3. Re: Primavera keeps changing dates when I don't want it to
    726616 Explorer
    changing the activity status from "not-started" (ES = Early Start which is a planned date) to "in progress" (AS = Actual Start, an actual date) is not the way to "nail" an activity into a fixed position onto the timescale (if that is what you want).

try applying constraints (if proper relationships wón't cut it). one way is to drag the activity bar ends while holding the Alt key. cursor should take the shape of a hammer and nail.

hope this helps,

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points