1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2010 10:03 AM by 772830 RSS

java.lang.nullpointer.exception at 11gR2 database install on Windows XP SP3

Hi all!
      I'm trying to install Oracle 11gR2 database software on my Windows XP SP3 machine. There are also Oracle 9.2.0.8 database and Oracle 10.2.0.4. database installed on this machine.
      So, I'm executing setup.exe and cmd screen appears showing that OUI makes some preinstall checks and unpacks software to the temp folder. After that stage OUI java screen must appear but insted of it I see only window with java.lang.nullpointer.exception error. I checked logs and there is only the following:

Using paramFile: D:\Distr\Oracle\11g\database\disk1\install\oraparam.ini

Checking monitor: must be configured to display at least 256 colors. Actual 4294967296 Passed

The commandline for unzip:
      D:\Distr\Oracle\11g\database\disk1\install\unzip -qqqo ..\stage\Components\oracle.jdk\1.5.0.17.03\1\DataFiles/"*.jar" -d "C:\Temp\OraInstall2010-05-13_01-3932PM"

Can anybody help me? I don't know what causes this error. My machine meets all minimum requirements to install Oracle 11gR2 database software. Environment variable ORACLE_HOSTNAME is set in system environment variables. Previously 9.2.0.8 and 10.2.0.4 were installed successfully.
        • 1. Re: java.lang.nullpointer.exception at 11gR2 database install on Windows XP SP3
          Zekeriya Besiroglu
          hi

pls check this link similar problem and he solved it.

http://boardreader.com/thread/client_11gR2_install_on_Win_7_Pro_fails_l7kxXmu5u.html

" I have discovered the solution to this problem. Corporate policy dictates that all accounts with admin rights begin with the ! (exclamation point) character. On a whim I gave my non-privileged account local admin rights (No leading !) and the install worked as anticipated. This is a bug in the Installer process that should be dealt with by the Oracle ..."

regards.

zekeriya
          • 2. Re: java.lang.nullpointer.exception at 11gR2 database install on Windows XP SP3
            No, this is not my case. My user account is named pevunov_d and it is a member of local admin group and ORA_DBA group. I also tried to create user "oracle", assign it into local admins and ORA_DBA groups and try to install 11gR2 under it. The result was - the same error.

Edited by: user10919894 on May 13, 2010 3:44 PM
            • 3. Re: java.lang.nullpointer.exception at 11gR2 database install on Windows XP SP3
              Are there any suggestions? I still cannot install 11gR2 on my machine...
              • 4. Re: java.lang.nullpointer.exception at 11gR2 database install on Windows XP SP3
                Hello Denis,

There may be a problem with the installation kit you are using. Where did you get it from? Do you have an installation CD/DVD? Did you download the kit from Oracle?
                If you downloaded the kit from Oracle, did you verify the checksum of the archive(s)?

Could you try starting the installer this way:
                \>setup -debug
                or
                \>setup -logLevel finest

and see if some helpful detail is logged.

There may also be problem with the inventory on the machine. Please check this file: c:\Program Files\Oracle\Inventory\contentsXML\inventory.xml and see if there is an entry there that points to an Oracle home that does not exist enymore (maybe removed after the other Oracle homes were installed but prior to performing this install). Not sure if it is posiible to upload files, i would have asked you to upload the whole inventory so i could check it out.

Regards,
                Alex
                • 5. Re: java.lang.nullpointer.exception at 11gR2 database install on Windows XP SP3
                  Hi user11980464,

Many thanks for your helpfull answer. I downloaded distrib from oracle site. On other machine installer works fine. So, I think the checksum is correct.

After I started install with -debug -loglevel finest parameters at last I saw what exacly installer is trying to do:

Arg:13:oracle.install.ivw.db.driver.DBInstaller:
                  Arg:14:-scratchPath:
                  Arg:15:"C:\Temp\OraInstall2010-05-18_05-15-03PM" :
                  Arg:16:-sourceLoc:
                  Arg:17:"D:\Distr\Oracle\11g\database\disk1\install\../stage/products.xml" :
                  Arg:18:-sourceType:
                  Arg:19:network:
                  Arg:20:-timestamp:
                  Arg:21:2010-05-18_05-15-03PM:
                  Arg:22:-debug -logLevel finest:
                  -------------------------------------------------------
                  Initializing Java Virtual Machine from
                  "C:\Temp\OraInstall2010-05-18_04-57-35PM\jdk/jre\bin\java.exe" . Please wait...

After that message with error java.lang.nullpointer.exception comes. It seems to me that installer cannot start JVM. Do you know what causes this error? What I can see - the strange back-slash (*/jre*) in the path to java.exe

PS: I can upload logs and inventory but don't know how. Can you tell how to do this?

Edited by: Denis Pevunov on May 18, 2010 6:21 PM
                  • 6. Re: java.lang.nullpointer.exception at 11gR2 database install on Windows XP SP3
                    Hello Denis,

I do not think it is possible to upload any files... no problem about that.
                    You posted some messages from the install*.log file. There are two other files - install*.err and install*.out. Is there anything useful in these files?

I do not think the "/" in the path to java.exe causes any problems.

I strongly belive that the problem is caused by something else - a problem with a file read by the JVM which contains a pointer (a path for example) that reffers to an invalid location.
                    Coult you please post the contents of c:\program files\oracle\inventory\ContentsXML\inventory.xml here?

Regards,
                    Alex
                    • 7. Re: java.lang.nullpointer.exception at 11gR2 database install on Windows XP SP3
                      Hello Alex,

There are no files install*.err and install*.out - only install*.log. I found install*.err and install*.out files only from previous installations.

The contents of inventory.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes" ?>
                      <!-- Copyright (c) 2005 Oracle Corporation. All rights Reserved -->
                      <!-- Do not modify the contents of this file by hand. -->
                      <INVENTORY>
                      <VERSION_INFO>
                      <SAVED_WITH>10.2.0.1.0</SAVED_WITH>
                      <MINIMUM_VER>2.1.0.6.0</MINIMUM_VER>
                      </VERSION_INFO>
                      <HOME_LIST>
                      <HOME NAME="ora92DB" LOC="C:\oracle\ora92DB" TYPE="O" IDX="9"/>
                      <HOME NAME="ora102client" LOC="C:\oracle\ora102client" TYPE="O" IDX="1"/>
                      <HOME NAME="C_WINDOWS_system32" LOC="C:\WINDOWS\system32" TYPE="O" IDX="2" REMOVED="T"/>
                      <HOME NAME="OraHomeDevSuit904" LOC="c:\oracle\DevSuit904" TYPE="O" IDX="3" REMOVED="T"/>
                      <HOME NAME="OraDb10g_home1" LOC="C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1" TYPE="O" IDX="5" REMOVED="T"/>
                      <HOME NAME="OraClient10g" LOC="C:\oracle\client102" TYPE="O" IDX="6" REMOVED="T"/>
                      <HOME NAME="OraDb10g" LOC="C:\oracle\db102" TYPE="O" IDX="7" REMOVED="T"/>
                      <HOME NAME="Ora92" LOC="C:\oracle\ora92" TYPE="O" IDX="4" REMOVED="T"/>
                      <HOME NAME="OraClient11g" LOC="C:\oracle\client11" TYPE="O" IDX="8" REMOVED="T"/>
                      <HOME NAME="ora102DB" LOC="C:\oracle\ora102DB" TYPE="O" IDX="11" REMOVED="T"/>
                      <HOME NAME="Home1" LOC="D:\OraHome_1" TYPE="O" IDX="10" REMOVED="T"/>
                      </HOME_LIST>
                      </INVENTORY>

Regards,
                      Denis
                      • 8. Re: java.lang.nullpointer.exception at 11gR2 database install on Windows XP SP3
                        Hello Denis,

i did not have so much time to work on this, but I will try to do later this afternoon. Sorry for the delay.
                        One thing i tried though: i replaced my inventory.xml file with the one you provided and tried running the 10.2.0.1 OUI (I do not have a 11g OUI available yet). It started and i expected it to show me the list of the existing Oracle Homes (the ones that do not have REMOVED=T in inventory.xml). It did not, instead, it considered those two homes are empty and only listed them after checking the 'show empty homes' option.
                        Looks like the structure of inventory.xml is correct.

It would be useful to try the following:
                        - start the installer that is installed in C:\oracle\ora102client\oui\bin and see if it works
                        - check your environment variables and remove anything (at least for testing) that references an independent Java installation on the machine (JAVA_HOME for example) or any directory in the path where Java may be installed.

I will try to do some more testing and tell you the results.

Regards,
                        Alex
                        • 9. Re: java.lang.nullpointer.exception at 11gR2 database install on Windows XP SP3
                          Hello Alex,

The installer of 10gR2 started fine from C:\oracle\ora102client\oui\bin
                          Here is some log info:

Arg:13:oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicInstaller:
                          Arg:14:-scratchPath:
                          Arg:15:"C:\Temp\OraInstall2010-05-19_02-09-58PM" :
                          Arg:16:-sourceType:
                          Arg:17:network:
                          Arg:18:-timestamp:
                          Arg:19:2010-05-19_02-09-58PM:
                          Arg:20:-debug -loglevel finest:
                          -------------------------------------------------------
                          Initializing Java Virtual Machine from "C:\Temp\OraInstall2010-05-19_02-09-58PM\jre\bin\java.exe"; . Please wait...

Oracle Universal Installer, Version 10.2.0.4.0 Production Copyright (C) 1999, 2008, Oracle. All rights reserved.

As I see, there is no back slash in path to java.exe. But then I don't understand how it was installed on other machine...
                          Also I found that this back slash can be changed in oraparam.ini (JRE_SCRATCH_LOC parameter). I changed it but the result was the same. So, after testing we can say that this slash is not the issue at all.

Then I checked all environment variables and found old java path in CLASSPATH and removed it. Now I don't have any java products installed. In PATH environment there is only java regarding to oracle homes installed on my machine. I don't think it could be an issue. And moreover, 10gR2 installer starts fine. This is something with java in 11gR2 installer. As I know, during install OUI uses its own JRE, which is unpacked to the temp location by OUI itself.
                          Can my issue be with jre which 11gR2 installer uses and OS configuration? Looks like this jre is incompatible with my OS configuration or something wrong is in environment variables still.

Regards,
                          Denis
                          • 10. Re: java.lang.nullpointer.exception at 11gR2 database install on Windows XP SP3
                            Hello Denis,

It's true that the OUI unpacks its own JRE then it starts using it. But it may get confused by environment variables entries. That is why i suggested removing everything that points to other Java installations.
                            It may be useful to remove the entry you have in the path too then try again, If it does not work, there is no problem as this would take only several minutes.

I agree with you, it may well be an incompatibility problem between the JRE the OUI uses and the OS (perhaps SP3 is the problem, what's the service pack level on the machine where the installation succeeded?).
                            Is is possible to instruct the OUI to use a different JRE using the -jreLoc switch (setup -jreLoc <JRE location>). But, before doing that, we need to see what JRE version the OUI needs. Then use at least that one from another location.

Let me do some checking then i will get back to you.

Regards,
                            Alex
                            • 11. Re: java.lang.nullpointer.exception at 11gR2 database install on Windows XP SP3
                              Hello Alex,

On the machine were I was able to install 11gR2 is the same version of OS - Microsoft Windows Version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.091208-2036: Service Pack 3).
                              As I can see from the temp location OUI is using jre version 1.5.0:

C:\Temp\OraInstall2010-05-19_10-06-42AM\jdk\jre\bin>java.exe -version
                              java version "1.5.0_17"
                              Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_17-b03)
                              Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_17-b03, mixed mode)

Update:
                              I tryed to use jre from installed oracle homes (1.4.x and 1.3.x versions) - it simply crashed at OUI startup. Then I installed jre 1.6.0_17 and tryed to use it in jreLoc - the result was the java.lang.nullpointerexception error again.

Regards,
                              Denis

Edited by: Denis Pevunov on 19.05.2010 18:47
                              • 12. Re: java.lang.nullpointer.exception at 11gR2 database install on Windows XP SP3
                                hello Denis,

sorry for not posting anything for a long time, I have been busy and yesterday was public holiday.
                                After reading your last update, the only solution I could think of was tracing the java executable (the system calls it invokes I mean) but this is not easy on windows.
                                I belive you could try:

\> setup -debug [-jreLoc <JRE location>]

The OUI help (setup -help) says -debug is obsolete but i tried it and saw it works. It also provides some details setup -logLevel finest does not.
                                We definitelly need a stack trace when the nullpointer error occurs so we could see what the process does at that time. It should be helpful.

(If you would have been on a unix machine, we would have used strace).

jdb could also help but I am not sure we can attach it to the java process after the error is raised. I am not sure if we could start the oui from a jdb session either.

Regards,
                                Alex
                                • 13. Re: java.lang.nullpointer.exception at 11gR2 database install on Windows XP SP3
                                  Hans Forbrich
                                  Denis, Quick sideline questions:

What are the values of the environment variables 'PATH', 'ORACLE_HOME', 'ORACLE_SID', and 'CLASSPATH'? (If any?)

How are you invoking the OUI?

If you have not tried it yet, would you try to invoke OUI by command line after displaying all environment variables ...
                                  • 14. Re: java.lang.nullpointer.exception at 11gR2 database install on Windows XP SP3
                                    Hello Alex,

I tryed to use jreloc, but all other versions of jre are crashing when OUI starts java (I mean those javas that are in oher oracle homes). Then I installed jre6u17 and used jreloc again - the error was the same java.lang.nullpointer exception. Do you have any other thoughts how to trace java process in windows, not using jdb?
                                    1 2 Previous Next