11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2012 3:26 AM by 974824 RSS

download-uk, download-west and download-llnw incredibly slow

Hi,

I'm trying to download Grid Control from OTN (Grid Control 10gR2 isn't on e-delivery). The download speed here (European Commission) is always enormously high, but on OTN today it definitely isn't.

After looking around a bit, it seems that download.oracle.com is load-balanced over download-uk.oracle.com, download-west.oracle.com, download-east.oracle.com and download-llnw.oracle.com.

I'm located in Belgium, and downloading at 2KB/s over each of the servers, except for download-east which gives me ~300KB/s. Also, some pages (e.g. http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/oem/htdocs/linuxsoft.html) sometimes don't work, returning an error.

Just thought I'd report it here, since I can't seem to find an email address to contact an OTN admin.
        • 1. Re: download-uk, download-west and download-llnw incredibly slow
          FYI: the error message returned was "An error occurred while processing the request. Try refreshing your browser. If the problem persists contact the site administrator".
          • 2. Re: download-uk, download-west and download-llnw incredibly slow
            Helios-GunesEROL
            Hi;

I am from Turkey and you are not alone in this issue. While i try to download Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Grid Control Release 2 (10.2.0.1.1) it through "Page not found error"

I belive its a global problem and oracle will fix it soon

Regard
            Helios
            • 3. Re: download-uk, download-west and download-llnw incredibly slow
              Keng Heng. Chan
              I believed oracle had changed the network delivery provider and caused the issues, I'm from Malaysia, previously I can obtained around 1Mbps download speed at my data center, but now drop to 37Kbps to 47Kbps....
              • 4. Re: download-uk, download-west and download-llnw incredibly slow
                user8991246
                I am in the us and it seems that lately any url at download.oracle.com is painfully slow and oftentimes it just plain times out or returns an error. I have been trying to use the oracle eclipse update site (which is hosted in the download.oracle.com domain space) and it just keeps failing.
                • 5. Re: download-uk, download-west and download-llnw incredibly slow
                  It's two days already, when instead of download I'm getting:

We're sorry, the page you requested was not found.

We have recorded this error (404) to help us fix the problem.
                  You may wish to try again using one of the tools below.
                  • 6. Re: download-uk, download-west and download-llnw incredibly slow
                    same for me, impossible to download Oracle WebLogic Server 10.3.2, or grid control, or database, ... lot of links seems dead.

very strange. hope they will fix it ASAP.
                    • 7. Re: download-uk, download-west and download-llnw incredibly slow
                      hi all

the same here all links seems to be down

i have called oracle support, i'm waiting for their answer ....
                      • 8. Re: download-uk, download-west and download-llnw incredibly slow
                        user121298
                        I'm often at 3 kbps for my downloads. 3 days to download a 1.5 gig file.
                        • 9. Re: download-uk, download-west and download-llnw incredibly slow
                          I agree with what has been posted in this thread. I reside in India(Bangalore) and have a 2Mbps line. Annoyingly when I download anything from Oracle site, the speed goes to a max of 80~90 KBps and drops down to 12~15 KBps after a couple of minutes. Now this is using a Download manager with say 12 partitions at a given instance. Situation is worse if I use inbuilt downloader of any browser. At times the download stops. It's really irritating that I 've been downloading Jdeveloper for the 6th day. Should not have taken more than 125 mins from any other site.

Moreover oracle sites take a long time to load up. Sometimes I 've to hit 'refresh' several times for the page to load up. Just to double check that the problem is not because of an intermittent DNS, I used a different one (Google/OpenDNS). Results were worse if not the same.

Please look in to this matter with a sense of urgency.
                          Thanks in advance.
                          • 10. Re: download-uk, download-west and download-llnw incredibly slow
                            I'm in the US with excellent connectivity and am getting 234KB/sec. Pathetic.
                            • 11. Re: download-uk, download-west and download-llnw incredibly slow
                              Me from India (Bihar)
                              same problem with me.
                              struggling from 6 days. spent about 1500/- just for downloading facilities to download oracle 11g.

I observed some properties of the problem.
                              we have signout and then sign in after about 20 minutes.
                              then immediately download the file required.
                              for upto 30 minutes the downloadable speed will lie in between 200 KBPS to 50 KBPS.
                              Later on suddenly reduces to a little. You can spend several hours to download the file. We will be successfull in downloading.

However, if we sign out and sign before 20 minutes,
                              or the case, we sign in and do some thing else, and after 30 minutes of our first signin on the day, then the speed starts with less speed and the downloading staggles after some time.

It is appearing the policy makers have allowed only 30 minutes of time for downloading.

Unfortunately, for countries like India, the downloading speed is restricted to about 200 kbps and at most for 30 minutes of sign in per day. if we are not successfull in downloading in that period, then it is better to wait for next day rather wasting our money and time on that day.

If the web site managers increases this time limit to 2 hours, then we will be able to download the files successfully without any security problems to the site.
                              Also, the maximum size of any downloadable file should be at most 400 MB and divide into several parts so that we can doiwnload at least in one week if not in one day.

The web site managers have taken policies due to which they are harassing the seekers of the software.

I am sorry to say but it is appearing like the planners of such policy makers are shadists...

Even after these many mails, and after this many days of gap, no improvement is there in this facility.

Probably US people like troubling others.