8 Replies Latest reply: May 26, 2010 5:32 AM by Ronny Egner RSS

Oracle Not Available

user645399
      Dear buddies,

I am completely lost as anyone would be with such an error.

DatabaseError: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
      ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
      See log file for more details.

I am using a customized tool to create Oracle Database. I have created a few using this tool.

There was no problem. Today, I am not able to create any database.

I have visited many threads in this forums and from web on this error and tried everything mentioned and everything extra I could think of.

1 - I restarted the server
      2 - I restarted all the Oracle services many times, in different situations after getting the error.
      3 - Thinking that its probably due to many databases residing in the system and deleted a couple of them.

4 - wherever the SID is being reference, its all in small caps (in listener.ora, tnsnames.ora, init.ora, when I set oracle_sid=test2 and in every possible place)
      5 - Without setting the oracle home still everything was fine but still I set it to see if that would solve the problem and that didn't either( I set it in the advanced properties)
      6 - Increased the shared_pool_size = 500M ( tried also with 900M)

I managed to login and access the databases but the tool need to perform some configuration and thats what is being a problem now. Whenever the configuration runs, after a certain point, I receive this error.

My database is in Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition.
      Oracle Database 10g Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production

I am not able to create any database. Please help me. I am working on migration and with different configurations, I created different databases.

I have dropped all the databases now and still not able to create a new one.

Please help me.

Nith

Edited by: user645399 on May 26, 2010 4:00 PM
        • 1. Re: Oracle Not Available
          >
          I am using a customized tool to create Oracle Database. I have created a few using this tool.
          instead of this, have you ever try to use database configuration assistant?

or you can create database manually, you can check the link below,

http://www.ifslibrary.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=305:create-database-manually&catid=49:backup&Itemid=54

is there any obligation to use this tool?

Ugur
          • 2. Re: Oracle Not Available
            user645399
            Yes,

I have to use only that tool because it maintains a database of the databases.

So, when I create a database using that tool, it gets registered in the main database. Its like a star method.

Whats the cause of the error? Any idea?

nith
            • 3. Re: Oracle Not Available
              DBA 24*7
              The most common cause of the ORA-01034 ORA-27101 Problem is when the ORACLE_SID or ORACLE_HOME not properly set.
              • 4. Re: Oracle Not Available
                Asif Muhammad
                Hi,
                DatabaseError: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
                usually tihs error is returned if your database is not up and running, therefore which also will lead to:
                ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
                With regard to your information provided I believe you are working with multiple databases, so therefore ensure you set your Oracle_sid before you get connected, and also ensure you are connected to the database as the sysdba previlege and startup the database. If you login to the database with a normal previleged user like scott other than the sysdba previlege you will get this error

And could you also post the exact error you receive when creating the database

Warm Regards

Edited by: A.R.M Asif on May 26, 2010 1:31 AM
                • 5. Re: Oracle Not Available
                  Rafi (Oracle DBA)
                  Hi,
                  Can you please check the environment variable and the processes running in your machine.

Best regards,

Rafi.
                  • 6. Re: Oracle Not Available
                    If have multiple databases in your same server then you have to specify which database do you want to connect i.e. you have specify the enviornment variables for example the oracle home? By the way which OS you are using ? Are you doing this in Unix box? Please confirm.
                    • 7. Re: Oracle Not Available
                      Chinar
                      Hi,there are may several reasons for Oracle 10.2.0.4.0 and Windows Server 2003 platform.
                      Of course you can create database manually.But when creating database which template did you select?
                      Select "Custom Database" template do not select "General Purpose" because in this oracle version(10.2.0.4.0) and this platform(OS) you can get error.Otherwise how did you configure memory(sga/pga)? In memory tab select Shared Memory management with automatic option(error occurred because may you selected manual and shared_pool was significant small.).
                      • 8. Re: Oracle Not Available
                        Ronny Egner
                        FACT #1: I am using a customized tool to create Oracle Database.
                        HOW does the tool work?
                        FACT #2: Today, I am not able to create any database.
                        FACT #3: I managed to login and access the databases but the tool need to perform some configuration and thats what is being a problem now.
                        How did you manage to login to the database if you were unable to create the database?
                        FACT #4: Whenever the configuration runs, after a certain point, I receive this error.
                        Configuration? Creation? How if you are unable to create a database at all??

Regarding your error i suspect youre operating over network and logging to the database via SQLNet from your client (please confirm!). You try to create a database and receive this error.
                        If your database is on Windows you most probably did not create the required windows service.

--
                        Ronny Egner
                        My Blog: http://blog.ronnyegner-consulting.de

Edited by: Ronny Egner on May 26, 2010 12:32 PM