This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2012 7:35 AM by 980561 RSS

Cold Backup / Recovery for OEM Grid

640410 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi friends,

OEM 10.2.0.5
RHEL 4.6

How do you Clone or Backup OEM Grid (Management server(OMS) , agent, and repository database)?
in case of disaster?
They are all under our server dir /home/oracle. If I have a backup of my /home/oracle on external tape or disk,
and ithappened that my OEM server crashed and it can not be fixed anymore. Then we buy another server
with the same specs and OS. Then copy/download the backup. How can I start it up? Just like the original setup?

Thanks a lot.

Ms K
  • 1. Re: Cold Backup / Recovery for OEM Grid
    Rajesh Lathwal Guru
    Hi , you can take hot rman back up of repository database . For oms and agent back up you can simply take back up me the mount point . In case of disaster you can recover from backup but make sure that host name is same otherwise you will have to reinstall oms.
  • 2. Re: Cold Backup / Recovery for OEM Grid
    dba05 Journeyer
    Hi,

Repository DB is just like any other database,U can use RMAN or any custom backup job.

For OMS--As long as new machine name and ports used are same as old one,you are good to restore it from tape.

Thanks...
  • 3. Re: Cold Backup / Recovery for OEM Grid
    640410 Newbie
    Thanks a lot gentlemen :)

By the way, In the "old" local OEM, I can manage, add or extend tablespaces and datafiles.
    Is this available in Grid Control too?
  • 4. Re: Cold Backup / Recovery for OEM Grid
    dba05 Journeyer
    Yes!!!
    All these TS and DF mangae options and lot of other features are avilable in Grid Control....
  • 5. Re: Cold Backup / Recovery for OEM Grid
    640410 Newbie

So, I dont need the local OEM anymore ;)

By the way, does the agent keep backup of its gathered data? Or does it delete them automatically after it is sent
    to the OMS server? I am afraid that my agent disk space will get full.

Does agent use oracle tables to keep data? or just text files

How do I know what time/schedule or how frequent does the agent updates our OMS server?

How often does the agent gathers data from the managed database?

Thanks again

Edited by: ytterp2009 on May 26, 2010 4:53 PM
  • 6. Re: Cold Backup / Recovery for OEM Grid
    Rajesh Lathwal Guru
    ytterp2009 wrote:

So, I dont need the local OEM anymore ;)
    Yes ..
    By the way, does the agent keep backup of its gathered data? Or does it delete them automatically after it is sent
    to the OMS server? I am afraid that my agent disk space will get full.

Does agent use oracle tables to keep data? or just text files
    Agent gathers data and stores it in form of xml in $AGENT_HOME/sysman/upload and sends these xml to OMS and deletes them automatically.In OMS they are stored at $OMS_HOME/sysman/recv . Then these xmls are processed by loader and get loaded into repository DB and deleted automatically from directory.

By default your agent can store data upto 50 MB and once it is full then your agent will stop working. Check out parameters in $AGENT_HOME/sysman/config/emd.properties file.
    please check :

http://racdba.wordpress.com/2009/12/05/oem-agent-common-errors/
    How do I know what time/schedule or how frequent does the agent updates our OMS server?

How often does the agent gathers data from the managed database?
    It depends on the frequency of metric applied for the target.

Please read :

Enterprise Manager Grid Control Agent 10g, Process Control (Start, Stop & Status) Troubleshooting Guide [ID 548928.1]

Understanding the Enterprise Manager 10g Grid Control Management Agent, Directory Structure and Key Configuration Files. [ID 234872.1]

Regards
    Rajesh
  • 7. Re: Cold Backup / Recovery for OEM Grid
    640410 Newbie
    Thanks a lot raj, you explain so well and clear ;) do you have a dba blogs? or write dba books?
  • 8. Re: Cold Backup / Recovery for OEM Grid
    640410 Newbie
    ok i see you blog in the link above :)
  • 9. Re: Cold Backup / Recovery for OEM Grid
    Rajesh Lathwal Guru
    ytterp2009 wrote:
    Thanks a lot raj, you explain so well and clear ;) do you have a dba blogs? or write dba books?
    Glad that I could help you ..

I am also learning oracle just like you .. Thanks for your compliments ..
  • 10. Re: Cold Backup / Recovery for OEM Grid
    640410 Newbie
    Hi again,

I am just curious , at the client side where OMA is installed. How does it triggers the program to start gathering of data?
    When it does not have Oracle database where you can use DBMS_JOB. Does it use OS crontab to schedule the program runs?

Thanks
  • 11. Re: Cold Backup / Recovery for OEM Grid
    Rajesh Lathwal Guru
    ytterp2009 wrote:
    Hi again,

I am just curious , at the client side where OMA is installed. How does it triggers the program to start gathering of data?
    When it does not have Oracle database where you can use DBMS_JOB. Does it use OS crontab to schedule the program runs?
    Hi ,

It(OMA) is a system daemon that is made up of two processes:
    One for ensuring that the Management Agent is up and available (watchdog)
    The other for the capabilities of monitoring, alerting, and scheduling job system (emagent)

Please read :

How to Process Control (start, stop, check status) the Oracle Management Agent (OMA) in Enterprise Manager Grid Control 10g [ID 297727.1]
    Understanding the Enterprise Manager 10g Grid Control Management Agent, Directory Structure and Key Configuration Files. [ID 234872.1]

Regards
    Rajesh
  • 12. Re: Cold Backup / Recovery for OEM Grid
    640410 Newbie
    Thanks raj,

I am very impressed about how oracle do it without using OS crontb batch jobs.
    I really am inspired to make such programs. You know we have similar systems too, inhouse Inventory distributed system.
    We have lots of braches, sending data by batch to the main office thru xml data, its has also ftpsend and receive. But there are lots of loopholes in the system. I want to copy how the OMA (agent) ans OMS(server)
    managed to send/update transaction in a "flawless" manner.

I there a metalink docs that expalin in details what and how the programs ang being run?
  • 13. Re: Cold Backup / Recovery for OEM Grid
    Rajesh Lathwal Guru
    Hi,

All this is managed by emagent daemon process which takes cares of all monitoring stuff.

I am not sure how exactly this daemon process works and If I find any info regarding this , I will share it.

Regards
    Rajesh
  • 14. Re: Cold Backup / Recovery for OEM Grid
    640410 Newbie
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points