2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2010 12:17 AM by Alfonso Vicente RSS

Can not start WLS as oracle user

Yannick Ongena
      I am not able to start the WLS (10.3.2) as the oracle user.
      I am able to start it as the root user but i don't have root access so i always have to ask our admin to stop and start the server...

What do i need to do to be able to start and stop the WLS with the oracle user?

Their are 2 errors i get... When i started the server as root and i need to restart it and i try it with the oracle user i get this:
      <May 27, 2010 12:23:14 PM CEST> <Notice> <Log Management> <BEA-170019> <The server log file /oracle/product/wls10320/user_projects/domains/webcenter_domain/servers/AdminServer/logs/AdminServer.log is opened. All server side log events will be written to this file.>
      Error creating logFile: /oracle/product/wls10320/user_projects/domains/webcenter_domain/servers/AdminServer/data/ldap/log/EmbeddedLDAP.log (Permission denied)
      <May 27, 2010 12:23:19 PM CEST> <Error> <EmbeddedLDAP> <BEA-000000> <Error opening the Transaction Log: /oracle/product/wls10320/user_projects/domains/webcenter_domain/servers/AdminServer/data/ldap/ldapfiles/EmbeddedLDAP.tran (Permission denied)>
      <May 27, 2010 12:23:19 PM CEST> <Error> <EmbeddedLDAP> <BEA-000000> <Error Instantiating 'dc=webcenter_domain': null>
      <May 27, 2010 12:23:19 PM CEST> <Critical> <EmbeddedLDAP> <BEA-171522> <An error occurred while initializing the Embedded LDAP Server. The exception thrown is java.lang.ClassCastException: com.octetstring.vde.backend.BackendRoot. This may indicate a problem with the data files for the Embedded LDAP Server. If the problem is with the data files and it can not be corrected, backups of previous versions of the data files exist in /oracle/product/wls10320/user_projects/domains/webcenter_domain/servers/AdminServer/data/ldap/backup.>
      <May 27, 2010 12:23:19 PM CEST> <Critical> <WebLogicServer> <BEA-000362> <Server failed. Reason:

There are 1 nested errors:

java.lang.ClassCastException: com.octetstring.vde.backend.BackendRoot
              at weblogic.ldap.EmbeddedLDAP.start(EmbeddedLDAP.java:273)
              at weblogic.t3.srvr.SubsystemRequest.run(SubsystemRequest.java:64)
              at weblogic.work.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:201)
              at weblogic.work.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:173)
      I can do a chmod for the files so i don't get the permission denied error but than when i try to start the server from my oracle user i get an error which i currently can not get because of the permission denied and no root access...

I know the error says something about bootstrap or something which i thought to be something to do with a password... But when i run the same startup with root user i do not get this error...

So what do i need to do so i can start the WLS without having to login as the root?

Edited by: Yannick.O on 27-May-2010 03:38
        • 1. Re: Can not start WLS as oracle user
          Hi,

Could you first check if you have read/write/create permissions on the folder:
          /oracle/product/wls10320/user_projects/domains/webcenter_domain/servers/AdminServer/data/ldap/ldapfiles/EmbeddedLDAP.tran

If yes could you try deleting the the ldap folder from "yourdomain/servername/ldap" and then restart the server.

regards,
          Zeno
          • 2. Re: Can not start WLS as oracle user
            Alfonso Vicente
            Yannick, I think someone started your WLS as root, so, there are many files with owner root, causing your error

Try:

(Solaris) chown -R oracle:oragid /oracle/product/wls10320
            (Linux) chown -R oracle.oragid /oracle/product/wls10320

(replace oragid for your oracle main group)

Regards,
            Alfonso