10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2010 6:00 AM by Lokanath Giri RSS

Uninstall/Remove Sql plus

Hai,
      I have an server in which Oracle 9i Standard Edition has been installed. If i dont want to give access to sqlplus from that server, whether deletion of sqlplus.exe alone will be sufficient or any thing else needs to be done.

Regards
      Sridhar
        • 1. Re: Uninstall/Remove Sql plus
          Rajesh Lathwal
          user7277731 wrote:
          Hai,
          I have an server in which Oracle 9i Standard Edition has been installed. If i dont want to give access to sqlplus from that server, whether deletion of sqlplus.exe alone will be sufficient or any thing else needs to be done.
          There is no need to delete the files .. If you delete that , even you cannot login to server as sysdba through sql plus.

You can change permission of sqlplus.exe , so that other users are not able to execute this.

Regards
          Rajesh
          • 2. Re: Uninstall/Remove Sql plus
            Hai,
            In my environment, all the users are login as administrator only (Windows 2003). That is the problem. From remote location, i can connect through sql plus. But i dont want to give access to the users who are accessing this server locally. How to handle this?

Regards
            Sridhar
            • 3. Re: Uninstall/Remove Sql plus
              asifkabirdba
              Do not remove sqlplus.exe as it is an installation part for oracle database. People who got the password of your boxes must be a trusted person. So use sqlplus with your trusted person in the company.

Why do you people give access locally? Stop this as a DBA. User should only connect database from the remote PC.

Regards
              Asif kabir

Edited by: asifkabirdba on Jun 7, 2010 3:59 PM
              • 4. Re: Uninstall/Remove Sql plus
                Hai,
                You have informed that "Why do you people give access locally? Stop this as a DBA." This is the basic requirement of the business and it cannot be changed. I have to give them access with administrator user and at the same time, they should not use sqlplus and access oracle database in that machine. How to acheive both ?

Regards
                Sridhar
                • 5. Re: Uninstall/Remove Sql plus
                  asifkabirdba
                  If someone knows database a bit better and delete all of your datafiles/tablespace. Then what will be the scenario? So only stopping SQLPLUS won't solve your problem.

Regards
                  Asif Kabir
                  • 6. Re: Uninstall/Remove Sql plus
                    Hai,
                    The real problem is the users should not login to the database through sqlplus and modify the data. It should be done through the application only. That is the actual reason for this requirement.

Regards
                    Sridhar
                    • 7. Re: Uninstall/Remove Sql plus
                      asifkabirdba
                      create a role

assign object privileges to this role

assign this role into users.

This will help you more.

Regards
                      Asif Kabir
                      • 8. Re: Uninstall/Remove Sql plus
                        Lokanath Giri
                        Hi Sridhar,

After reading your requirement.

Your can read the M/C name & login user from V$session. If MACHINE=DB server & OSUSER is other than your name don't allow to login into database.

OSUSER MACHINE
                        IN\Os_User IN\DBSever

Next option
                        Keep in a table - who can use SQL*Plus in DB server in a table(Entries will be few) . Try to restrict when they try to login with a trigger

Best Regards,
                        Lokanath Giri
                        • 9. Re: Uninstall/Remove Sql plus
                          Lokanath Giri
                          Hi Sridhar,

Your can read the M/C name & login user from V$session. If MACHINE=DB server & OSUSER is other than your name don't allow to login into database.

OSUSER MACHINE
                          IN\Os_User IN\DBSever

Next option
                          Keep in a table - who can use SQL*Plus in DB server in a table(Entries will be few) . Try to restrict when they try to login with a trigger

Best Regards,
                          Lokanath Giri
                          • 10. Re: Uninstall/Remove Sql plus
                            Lokanath Giri
                            Hi Sridhar,

OSUSER MACHINE
                            IN\Os_User IN\DBSever

Next option

Best Regards,
                            Lokanath Giri