This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2010 4:00 AM by LokanathGiri RSS

Uninstall/Remove Sql plus

681567 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hai,
I have an server in which Oracle 9i Standard Edition has been installed. If i dont want to give access to sqlplus from that server, whether deletion of sqlplus.exe alone will be sufficient or any thing else needs to be done.

Regards
Sridhar
  • 1. Re: Uninstall/Remove Sql plus
    Rajesh Lathwal Guru
    user7277731 wrote:
    Hai,
    I have an server in which Oracle 9i Standard Edition has been installed. If i dont want to give access to sqlplus from that server, whether deletion of sqlplus.exe alone will be sufficient or any thing else needs to be done.
    There is no need to delete the files .. If you delete that , even you cannot login to server as sysdba through sql plus.

You can change permission of sqlplus.exe , so that other users are not able to execute this.

Regards
    Rajesh
  • 2. Re: Uninstall/Remove Sql plus
    681567 Newbie
    Hai,
    In my environment, all the users are login as administrator only (Windows 2003). That is the problem. From remote location, i can connect through sql plus. But i dont want to give access to the users who are accessing this server locally. How to handle this?

Regards
    Sridhar
  • 3. Re: Uninstall/Remove Sql plus
    asifkabirdba Guru
    Do not remove sqlplus.exe as it is an installation part for oracle database. People who got the password of your boxes must be a trusted person. So use sqlplus with your trusted person in the company.

Why do you people give access locally? Stop this as a DBA. User should only connect database from the remote PC.

Regards
    Asif kabir

Edited by: asifkabirdba on Jun 7, 2010 3:59 PM
  • 4. Re: Uninstall/Remove Sql plus
    681567 Newbie
    Hai,
    You have informed that "Why do you people give access locally? Stop this as a DBA." This is the basic requirement of the business and it cannot be changed. I have to give them access with administrator user and at the same time, they should not use sqlplus and access oracle database in that machine. How to acheive both ?

Regards
    Sridhar
  • 5. Re: Uninstall/Remove Sql plus
    asifkabirdba Guru
    If someone knows database a bit better and delete all of your datafiles/tablespace. Then what will be the scenario? So only stopping SQLPLUS won't solve your problem.

Regards
    Asif Kabir
  • 6. Re: Uninstall/Remove Sql plus
    681567 Newbie
    Hai,
    The real problem is the users should not login to the database through sqlplus and modify the data. It should be done through the application only. That is the actual reason for this requirement.

Regards
    Sridhar
  • 7. Re: Uninstall/Remove Sql plus
    asifkabirdba Guru
    create a role

assign object privileges to this role

assign this role into users.

This will help you more.

Regards
    Asif Kabir
  • 8. Re: Uninstall/Remove Sql plus
    LokanathGiri Expert
    Hi Sridhar,

After reading your requirement.

Your can read the M/C name & login user from V$session. If MACHINE=DB server & OSUSER is other than your name don't allow to login into database.

OSUSER MACHINE
    IN\Os_User IN\DBSever

Next option
    Keep in a table - who can use SQL*Plus in DB server in a table(Entries will be few) . Try to restrict when they try to login with a trigger

Best Regards,
    Lokanath Giri
  • 9. Re: Uninstall/Remove Sql plus
    LokanathGiri Expert
    Hi Sridhar,

Your can read the M/C name & login user from V$session. If MACHINE=DB server & OSUSER is other than your name don't allow to login into database.

OSUSER MACHINE
    IN\Os_User IN\DBSever

Next option
    Keep in a table - who can use SQL*Plus in DB server in a table(Entries will be few) . Try to restrict when they try to login with a trigger

Best Regards,
    Lokanath Giri
  • 10. Re: Uninstall/Remove Sql plus
    LokanathGiri Expert
    Hi Sridhar,

OSUSER MACHINE
    IN\Os_User IN\DBSever

Next option

Best Regards,
    Lokanath Giri

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points