9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2010 8:32 AM by Christian RSS

Which Doc Contains Standard Edition's Replication Features?

user11974348
      Hi all,

I am going to use Oracle 10g / Oracle 11g Standard Edition's replication features (single-master, simple replication). However, in the online documentation web site, I cannot find relevant manuals / chapters.

There are manuals on advanced replication or Streams, but these are not what I am looking for.

I also searched the web on the above information, and some tutorial or step-by-step instruction (without using Oracle Enterprise Manager) but have found nothing so far.

Please advise where I may find such info. Thanks in advance!

Best regards

Edited by: user11974348 on Jun 10, 2010 3:43 AM
        • 1. Re: Which Doc Contains Standard Edition's Replication Features?
          Srini Chavali-Oracle
          Pl provide more detail on what you mean by "single-master, simple replication". An example of what you intend to do will help. Which version of 10g do you intend to use ? 10gR1 is already de-supported and 10gR2 will be de-supported next month. Any reason you cannot use 11gR1 or 11gR2 ?

HTH
          Srini
          • 2. Re: Which Doc Contains Standard Edition's Replication Features?
            user11974348
            Hi Srini and all,

I am working on a proposal to meet a customer's demand to offload the reporting workload on a database to another read-only snapshot. The customer is currently using 10gR2 standard edition. A read-only snapshot (a few hours delay acceptable) on another DB server is good enough to meet the demand.

The customer does not intend to use Enterprise Ed. because of cost issue. It may consider upgrading to Oracle 11g though, but the main point is to stick to Standard Edition. That's why my previous question focused on Standard Edition for either 10g or 11g.

Thanks and regards.
            • 3. Re: Which Doc Contains Standard Edition's Replication Features?
              Srini Chavali-Oracle
              Pl post details of database size and transaction volumes. Transportable tablespaces may be an option - http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/tspaces.htm#ADMIN01101

HTH
              Srini
              • 4. Re: Which Doc Contains Standard Edition's Replication Features?
                P.Forstmann
                You cannot use Transportable Tablespace features in 10.2 Standard Edition:
                http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/license.102/b14199/editions.htm#BABJFHED.

You cannot also use Data Guard to have a Data Guard standby database: but you could try to build a manual standby database:http://www.databasejournal.com/features/oracle/article.php/3682421/Manual-Standby-Database-under-Oracle-Standard-Edition.htm. This solution could be easier to implement if you need to copy a lot of tables and indexes than some solution based on materialized views. Note also that you cannot use Streams in 10.2 Standard Edition.
                • 5. Re: Which Doc Contains Standard Edition's Replication Features?
                  user11974348
                  Hi Forstmann and all,

Thank you for your information.

I believe manual standby database may not be applicable to my situation because the reporting database needs to be refreshed several times a day during office hours to keep the data not too far behind production, while the reporting access may be continuous during office hours. The manual standby solution needs to bring down the standby database and causes interruption to the reporting workload.

I guess Oracle is "encouraging" people to use Enterprise Edition because back in Oracle 8's documentation, there is a dedicated book called "Oracle Replication" which contains information for both basic and advanced replication. There is also a whole chapter (Chapter 2) on basic replication.

In Oracle 9i Release 1, the chapter on basic replication is gone. In Oracle 10g Release 2, the book "Oracle Replication" is gone, and is apparently replaced by "Advanced Replication". So, for Standard Edition users, how do they know what replication documentation is relevant to them? Should Standard Edition users refer to Oracle 8's documentation? This is the key of my question.

Thanks and regards,

Lawrence

Edited by: user11974348 on Jun 14, 2010 3:42 AM
                  • 6. Re: Which Doc Contains Standard Edition's Replication Features?
                    P.Forstmann
                    The manual standby does not need to be shutdown if you have your own scripts that will automatically:
                    1. send archived redo logs from primary to standby database
                    2. apply archived redo logs to standby database.

10.2 Advanced Replication doc says there are 3 kinds of replications (from http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14226/repoverview.htm#i14155)

>

Multimaster Replication

Materialized View Replication

Multimaster and Materialized View Hybrid Configurations

>

10.2 Licensing Guide (http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/license.102/b14199/editions.htm#BABJFHED) says
                    that Standard Edition supports only Basic Replication defined as:

>
                    SE1/SE: read-only, updateable materialized view
                    >

This likely means that 10.2 Standard Edition supports only materialized views.
                    • 7. Re: Which Doc Contains Standard Edition's Replication Features?
                      user11974348
                      Thanks for your info.

I am now setting up a Standard Edition DB to test out the materialized view features' availability. Grouping this MV topic under the manual "Advanced Replication" is quite confusing as the Licensing Guide says "Advanced Replication" is available only to EE.

For manual standy, even though shutdown is not required, I believe the database is not available for reporting during recovery mode to catch up with the source database. The DB should be in mount mode during recovery, right? If so, this is an issue for my customer, as the in-flight reports will be interrupted.
                      • 8. Re: Which Doc Contains Standard Edition's Replication Features?
                        P.Forstmann
                        user11974348 wrote:

For manual standy, even though shutdown is not required, I believe the database is not available for reporting during recovery mode to catch up with the source database. The DB should be in mount mode during recovery, right?
                        Yes this is correct in 10.2 for a physical standby with Standard Edition or Entreprise Edition. Only with 11G Entreprise Edition and Active Data Guard option it is possible to open a physical standby also running in recovery mode.
                        • 9. Re: Which Doc Contains Standard Edition's Replication Features?
                          Christian
                          Hey, could you setup the MV´s for your customer ?

I have the same demand now.

Can you explain, what you did and which steps are neccessary to setup basic replication on a standard edition ?