6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2011 3:49 AM by Buntoro

Auto-refresh in Reports

LuckyJack2001
      Hi,
      I like using the auto-refresh feature in reports. However, whenever I am using another application, the auto-refresh causes SQL Developer to get the focus in Windows, so I wind up having to click on my application to get the focus back. It is so frustrating I don't even use auto-refresh because of this. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Or should I request this as an enhancement/bug fix?
      I'm using Version 2.1.1.64
      Thanks!
      Paul
        • 1. Re: Auto-refresh in Reports
          -K-
          Well, the most logical suggestion is not to auto-refresh if you don't have the app in foreground. Would be pretty useless anyway, don't you reckon?
          You can request this at the SQL Developer Exchange anyway, so other users can vote and add weight for possible future implementation, but as a clear low-prio issue it might never get addressed.

Regards,
          K.
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Auto-refresh in Reports
            LuckyJack2001
            Well, I keep the sql developer screen visible to the side so I can monitor it - so although it does not have the focus it is still visible. So having the auto-update work without taking the focus would be very useful, in my opinion - because basically the way it works now is too frustrating to use at all. I guess I'll request this on the developer exchange.
            Thanks,
            Paul
            • 3. Re: Auto-refresh in Reports
              -K-
              Sure, it does make sense...

Have fun,
              K.
              • 4. Re: Auto-refresh in Reports
                Did you ever find a solution for this ? I find it extremely annoying that the window grabs focus every time auto-refresh happens
                • 5. Re: Auto-refresh in Reports
                  LuckyJack - I have solved this. You cannot do this from Oracle SQL developer. You will have to use TWEAKUI (a MS tool) to accomplish this for you:

Here are the steps. After doing this Auto-refresh in SQL Developer is not stealing focus.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/ht/stealingfocus01.htm

Hope this helps
                  • 6. Re: Auto-refresh in Reports
                    Buntoro
                    Hi,

I would rather prefer this should be provided as part of SQL Dev, since some other applications which have auto refresh inside the main application do not steal focus.
                    Since Java is thread based, hope the team also consider of using a more flexible on Report's modal window which prevent user to work on worksheet while report is refreshing.
                    Just imagine, that you have an auto refresh report on background and suddenly during the time of refreshing, you are no longer able to do anything on current worksheet.

Regards,

Buntoro