This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2010 2:38 PM by 798618 RSS

VM Manager and VM Server - backup and recovery options

user12000089 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Can anyone suggest a sensible backup and recovery procedure for the VM environment I am setting up.

Environment:
One physical server running the VM Manager and a single Windows 2003 guest which will be running a single Oracle RDBMS database.
An Oracle VM manager, installed on a separate linux server.

I will be backing up the Windows 2003 guest and the RDBMS in the same way as I would if it were not virtualized, so that is not part of this question.

I am interested in the backup and recovery options for the VM Manager and Server.

At this point, the recovery procedure as I see it will be to reinstal and configure the VM Server and VM Manager from our original build documentation, create a new Windows 2003 guest and then restore the database from a backup onto that.

Can anyone suggest a better way?

Many thanks
Paul
  • 1. Re: VM Manager and VM Server - backup and recovery options
    rlisson Newbie
    Hi Paul,
    Heres how we do it.

VM Manager
    This is just a regular linux box so we back that up the way you would any server.

VM Server
    This only takes about 15 minues to install and configure from scratch so we dont back it up.

VM Guests
    We have done this 2 ways previously
    1 If you are on a SAN with snapshot capabilities then yo should snapshot the disk and backup th running_pool directory from the snapshot
    If you have your poon on NFS then we created the OVS are using LVM undr linux. You can then snapshot your file system and backup the running_pool from there
    2 If you only have 1 VM server and are not using shared storage you can
    a) Shutdown your virtual Machines andthen backup the running_pool directory
    b) Pause yor running machines and backup your running_pool directory

To recover from these
    1 and 2a)
    These are running backups (Hot withoutdatabases being in hot backup mode. Like a system crash)
    For these you would simply re-install your VM server.
    Restore the running_pool directory
    Startup the machines. The database should start the same as if you had a server crash. #You cannot roll forward from this unless your database was in hot backup mode.

2b) is a cold backup
    Re-Installthe VM Server
    Restore the running_pool
    Start the VM

In the future of OVM 3 there will be a method where you can snapshot the files that make up a VM. (Using reflink) This is not available yet, but wil be great when it is.
  • 2. Re: VM Manager and VM Server - backup and recovery options
    Dude! Guru
    If you are looking for an affordable commercial solutions to perform backup and disaster recovery to local storage or network: http://www.retrospect.com/products/software/retroforwin/
    They also have a Linux client.
  • 3. Re: VM Manager and VM Server - backup and recovery options
    user12000089 Newbie
    Nice one Rlisson... Thank you for taking the time to explain that so well.

Cheers
    paul
  • 4. Re: VM Manager and VM Server - backup and recovery options
    416594 Newbie
    rlisson wrote:

VM Manager
    This is just a regular linux box so we back that up the way you would any server.
    Since the VM Manager is running a copy of the Oracle XE database engine, you'd really need to either:

1) shut down that engine before making a cold backup and start it up again after your back up completes
    or
    2) make sure the database is set up for, and running in ARCHIVELOG mode and have your backup script launch an online backup of the database... just make sure to exclude the live running database files from your "tar" (or whatever) backup job.

For simplicity sake, and because I don't really need hot backups in my environment, I'm opting to use cold backups.

I've got a purely Linux VM environment running, no Windows guests at all, plus I've got a large amount of locally-attached storage and an LTO4 autoloader on my VM Server host, so I'm just using plain old cron jobs on each vm guest and the manager to run scripts which shut down my databases and tar up the servers to a collection of big gzipped tarballs, one per per server, into a "backupvolume" filesystem on the dom0 host, and when those jobs are all done, then I tar up the entire VM Server host to my LTO4 tape machine.

This way, if I have to restore one of my Linux VMs (even to a piece of real hardware instead of a VM), I just have to install the same version Linux on that hardware (or a freshly created empty VM), configure the filesystems to match the original machine topology and untar the corresponding backup tarball over the top of it, and I'm back in business in short order.
  • 5. Re: VM Manager and VM Server - backup and recovery options
    756859 Newbie
    If you want to wait for the best then checkout this one.

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/036766
  • 6. Re: VM Manager and VM Server - backup and recovery options
    714624 Newbie
    To add to CWFNetman for guests cold backup;
    If you have free disk space on your logical volume where you DB is, have a script do the following:
    1 - shutdown your DB
    2 - create a snapshot using LVM (may take less than a minute)
    3 - restart your DB
    4 - backup your snapshot
    4 - remove the snapshot
  • 7. Re: VM Manager and VM Server - backup and recovery options
    788585 Newbie
    Is the following correct ? ........................

From what I see there's no support for third party backup products for the VM Manager & VM Server.
    Third party backup products being HP Data Protector, EMC Networker , Symantec Backup Exec or Netbackup.

There might support for the virtual machines if the relevant backup agent is installed and configured
  • 8. Re: VM Manager and VM Server - backup and recovery options
    Dude! Guru
    There is generally no option to backup open files or files that are in use and locked by an operating system or application, unless a backup client or agent can use an interface or API to communicate with the application in question. Some files systems and backup software can also use Open File Backup technology to backup any open or busy files, regardless, which is done by temporarily suspending disk operations to access metadata or "snapshot" a current disk volume. Some backup software provides this feature as an add-on, usually not for free. For this to work there must usually be some disk idle threshold or underlying low level support available. To my experience this often works fine, but it needs to be tested if it can be used with your application, and I would not use it with an Oracle database.

Other options are to take advantage of logical storage management or software based RAID systems. When used with database and applications, related data must not be distributed across different disks.
    http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/LVM-HOWTO/snapshots_backup.html

Oracle provides instructions how to backup and restore OVM Manager:
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11081_01/doc/doc.21/e10901/appendix_b.htm

To backup virtual guest systems, you can shutdown a system, backup the physical disk image, or install a backup agent into the guest OS that will do the backup to locally attached storage or network while running. Success depends on what you are using and what the backup software can do. You can also combine strategies, i.e. use oracle RMAN to backup oracle and than use 3rd party backup to backup the RMAN backup sets. Some admins create the Oracle backup sets on a remote NFS volume, which is backed up separately.

Edited by: Markus Waldorf on Jul 31, 2010 3:35 AM
  • 9. Re: VM Manager and VM Server - backup and recovery options
    798618 Newbie
    To back up Oracle VM Manager, perform the following:

1. Log in to the Oracle VM Server as the root user.
    2. Back up the Oracle VM Manager resources stored in the following directories:

/OVS/running_pool for virtual machine images
    /OVS/seed_pool for virtual machine templates
    /OVS/iso_pool for ISO files

Skip this step if you have enabled the storage backup mechanism.
    3. Back up the existing Oracle VM Manager data by using the following commands:

# cd /opt/ovs-manager-2.1/bin
    # sh backup.sh

Enter 1 to back up the data.

Please enter the choice: [1|2]
    1. Back up Oracle VM Manager,
    2. Restore Oracle VM Manager

Enter the database information, and the path for the dump and log files.

Back up data now ...
    Please enter the password for database account 'OVS':
    Please specify the path for dump file?
    Please specify the path for log file?

Oracle VM Manager is backed up.
    To restore Oracle VM Manager:

1. Log in to the Oracle VM Server as the root user.
    2. Save or copy the Oracle VM Manager resources into the following directories respectively:
    /OVS/running_pool for virtual machine images
    /OVS/seed_pool for virtual machine templates
    /OVS/iso_pool for ISO files
    3. Restore the backup data of the Oracle VM Manager by using the following commands:

# cd /opt/ovs-manager-2.x/bin
    # sh backup.sh

Enter 2 to restore the data.

Please enter the choice: [1|2]
    1. Back up Oracle VM Manager,
    2. Restore Oracle VM Manager

Enter the database information, and the path for the dump and log files.

Edited by: 795615 on Sep 18, 2010 3:07 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points