13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2011 12:15 AM by 822558 RSS

10gR2 database with 11gR2 Grid infrastructure

user130040
      I have upgraded the CRS and ASM to 11gR2, but database is still in 10gR2 release. I have removed the database from crs and re-register again with the 10g Oracle home, but unable to start the database using srvctl. But I can start the database using sqlplus.

I have even tried setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH,SHLIB_PATH and TNS_ADMIN pointing to 10g home using "srvctl setene database" command, but no change in the result.

Details:

$ srvctl config database -d racdb
      Database unique name: racdb
      Database name:
      Oracle home: /u03/app/oracle/product/102/db
      Oracle user: oracle
      Spfile:
      Domain:
      Start options: open
      Stop options: immediate
      Database role: PRIMARY
      Management policy: AUTOMATIC
      Server pools: racdb
      Database instances: racdb1,racdb2
      Disk Groups:
      Services:
      Database is administrator managed

$ srvctl start database -d racdb
      PRCR-1079 : Failed to start resource ora.racdb.db
      CRS-5011: Check of resource "racdb" failed: details at "(:CLSN00007:)" in "/u02/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/grid/log/sf2-db1a/agent/crsd/oraagent_oracle/oraagent_oracle.log"
      CRS-2674: Start of 'ora.racdb.db' on 'sf2-db1a' failed
      CRS-2632: There are no more servers to try to place resource 'ora.racdb.db' on that would satisfy its placement policy
      CRS-5011: Check of resource "racdb" failed: details at "(:CLSN00007:)" in "/u02/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/grid/log/sf2-db2a/agent/crsd/oraagent_oracle/oraagent_oracle.log"

Alert log is not showing any error message, but shutdown about was initiated.

Thu Jun 24 11:03:44 2010
      Completed: ALTER DATABASE OPEN
      Thu Jun 24 11:03:44 2010
      db_recovery_file_dest_size of 5120 MB is 0.50% used. This is a
      user-specified limit on the amount of space that will be used by this
      database for recovery-related files, and does not reflect the amount of
      space available in the underlying filesystem or ASM diskgroup.
      Thu Jun 24 11:03:45 2010
      Shutting down instance (abort)
      License high water mark = 17
      Instance terminated by USER, pid = 26322

Same issue with the instance start

$ srvctl start instance -d racdb -i racdb1
      PRCR-1013 : Failed to start resource ora.racdb.db
      PRCR-1064 : Failed to start resource ora.racdb.db on node sf2-db1a
      CRS-5011: Check of resource "racdb" failed: details at "(:CLSN00007:)" in "/u02/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/grid/log/sf2-db1a/agent/crsd/oraagent_oracle/oraagent_oracle.log"
      CRS-2674: Start of 'ora.racdb.db' on 'sf2-db1a' failed

Regards
      Siva
        • 1. Re: 10gR2 database with 11gR2 Grid infrastructure
          Fisrt of all, ORACLE_HOME 10g R2 worked fine for me using clusterware 11.2 on RH4,5 and OEL 5, it's a supported configuration too. I'm not sure about the steps you applied and suspect about permissions problems, are you using the some unix user to register and start the database?, I don't remember exactly but I had a problem registering and starting when they were different oracle owners, clusterware (grid) and oracle10(ORACLE_HOME 10gR2). Hope this helps.
          • 2. Re: 10gR2 database with 11gR2 Grid infrastructure
            Fix for unpublished Bug 8262786 will be included in the 10.2.0.5 patchset, 10.2.0.4.4 CRS PSU, 11.1.0.7.4 CRS PSU, patch 9556796 and Windows Patch 36 for 10.2.0.4. Until the patch is made available, the workaround is to use sqlplus to start the database instead of srvctl
            • 3. Re: 10gR2 database with 11gR2 Grid infrastructure
              user130040
              Thanks for the details.
              • 4. Re: 10gR2 database with 11gR2 Grid infrastructure
                user130040
                Thanks for the details.
                • 5. Re: 10gR2 database with 11gR2 Grid infrastructure
                  Siva,

I will need to do the same as you did. Do you have any detail notes to complete the task such as:

Step 1: de-register DB and Listerner from Oracle 10gR2 Clusterware;
                  Step 2: install Oracle 11gR2 ASM and Clusterware;
                  Step 3: re-gister DB and Listerner with Oracle 11gR2;

If you have, would you mind to provide me? Otherwise, do you have documents or whitepaper for detail instructions? I will really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Ju Jin
                  • 6. Re: 10gR2 database with 11gR2 Grid infrastructure
                    user130040
                    Hi,

I have used Oracle documentation and the following Metalink Notes for upgrade.

Oracle 11gR2 Upgrade Companion [ID 785351.1]
                    Complete Checklist for Manual Upgrades to 11gR2 [ID 837570.1]

When you install 11g Grid infrastructure, it automatically detects the 10g cluster configuration and upgrades the same to 11gR2.

Then follow the Note 837570.1 for manually upgrading the database to 11gR2.

To de-register listener and database resources

crs_stat | grep lsnr

-- Delete the listener with force option
                    crsctl delete resource <listener_resource_name> -f

Delete the 10g Instance and Database resources from crs

crs_stat | grep inst
                    crsctl delete resource <resource_name>

To register the database resources again with the new 11g ORACLE_HOME

srvctl add database -d <db_name> -o <ORACLE_HOME path>

srvctl add instance -d <db_name> -i <instance_name> -n <node_name>

Regards
                    Siva
                    • 7. Re: 10gR2 database with 11gR2 Grid infrastructure
                      Siva - thanks for your responding!

My situation is:
                      1) 10gR2 DB and CRS;
                      2) plan to upgrade 11gR2 CRS only, no DB upgrade;

What's your recommendation? Upgrade or new installation?

We plan to put GRID home, OCR and Voting Disk on NFS, do you see any issue?

I am looking forwarding to hearing from you.

J.J
                      • 8. Re: 10gR2 database with 11gR2 Grid infrastructure
                        user130040
                        Hi J.J,

Currently I am upgrading 10g crs to 11g and plan to continue the database in 10g release and test for any issues. Will update you once I have done the upgrade.

Regards
                        Siva
                        • 9. Re: 10gR2 database with 11gR2 Grid infrastructure
                          Hi,
                          I currently have:
                          10gR2 on SLES 9 and planning to move to 11gR2 on SLES 11.
                          We wanted to do OS and DB upgrade separately. So, we are doing 11gR2 install and upgrade 10g clusterware and ASM and continue 10gR2 db. In the second phase, we've planned to upgrade the db. So, as part of this I've been trying several things for the past 1 month and looks like the oracle documentation is not clear as to how to upgrade to 11g clusterware considering that they've merged ASM and clusterware into one piece called grid infrastructure, moving ocr and voting disks to ASM or other shared file system.
                          To upgrade the clusterware, do I have to:
                          1. Keep the 10g Clusterware and ASM up and running
                          2. Install Grid infrastrucutre software only
                          3. Run ASMCA or DBUA(does not exist in grid infrastrucutre home) to upgrade 10g clusterware and ASM
                          4. Install 11gr2 db and then run DBUA

Are those above steps correct? If not, could you please modify them?
                          --> I have tried Install Grid infrastrucutre software only and it does not ask me for clustered or non-clsutered, etc..so it installs on only 1 node.
                          --> Is upgrading to 11gR1 clsuterware different than upgrading to 11gR2 clsuterware?
                          --> If I have the 10g clsuterware and ASM up and running, and I select Install and configure Grid infrastrucutre for Cluster, it says /etc/oracle/ocr.loc needs to be deleted.
                          How do I get this thing done? Please help.
                          • 10. Re: 10gR2 database with 11gR2 Grid infrastructure
                            user130040
                            Hi,

I have performed the following steps to upgrade the cluster:

1. Keep the 10g Clusterware and ASM up and running
                            2. Select "Upgrade Grid Infrastructure" option
                            3. It will detect the Existing ASM instance and prompt you an alert
                            4. Shutdown the DB and then ASM instance.
                            5. In Node selection screen, select all the nodes, and make sure "Upgrade ASM" check box is selected.

Provide the necessary details on further screens, which will upgrade the Cluster and ASM to 11.2.
                            Now the ASM instance will be running from 11g GRID_HOME.

2) Yes, upgrading to 11gR1 clsuterware different than upgrading to 11gR2 clsuterware. In 11gR2, the ASM is part of Grid infrastructure.
                            3) You can't have multiple version of clusterware running on the same servers. You have to select "Upgrade Grid Infrastructure" option.

But after the CRS and ASM upgrade, I couldn't start the 10g database with the 11g cluster, and I am working on it.

Regards
                            Siva
                            • 11. Re: 10gR2 database with 11gR2 Grid infrastructure
                              user130040
                              This time the 10g database is running fine with 11g grid. I have upgraded 10g crs and asm to 11gR2 grid and started the 10g database using 10g srvctl, which is working fine.

Not sure, what I have missed on my previous attempt.

Thanks all for your valuable response.

Regards
                              Siva
                              • 12. Re: 10gR2 database with 11gR2 Grid infrastructure
                                hi all,

I need to install 10.2.0.4(10gr2) with 11gr2 grid infrastructure.Already i installed 11gr2 grid successfully in Windows 2008 R2 Server.

This is my case:

In my case there are two application support only 10gr2 and rest of three application support 11g and above.

I try to install 10gr2 with 11gr2 grid home. while in middle of the installation the error like ASM instance already running.only one ASM instance per system.

How can resolve this.

Kindly suggest how to install 10.2.0.4 with 11gr2 grid in windows server 2008 R2 .

advanced thanks,

Karthik
                                • 13. Re: 10gR2 database with 11gR2 Grid infrastructure
                                  Dear Karthik
                                  More than one ASM in a node is not possible.
                                  But u have an option to use the 10g and 11g databases.
                                  which means use the 11g ASM for both the databases.
                                  Because the 10g ASM will not support the 11g database. But the 11g ASM will support the 10g database and 11g database.
                                  So better u try in this and let me to know the result.