1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2012 11:39 AM by 933700

installation error in invoking target 'agent nmhs'

Dear All,
      I am new to this forum and I would like to inquire about the reasons behind a specific installation error of Oracle 11gR2 on Fedora 13 and the way to fix it. The error led to a weired behavior for the EM. I am going to explain everything precisely to flap the correspondence time so please please please bare with me.

I have followed precisely all the pre-requisites for preparing the installation environment (Fedora 13 Linux OS) by following the instructions in the manual that comes on the source installation Disk-1of Oracle 11g R2, like assigning the environment variables, setting kernel parameters, installation of all the required and necessary packages, creating the necessary directories and changing the owner ship, in addition to creation the user 'oracle' and the necessary groups. This installation ends up with a successful working database that can be accessed using sqlplus locally and remotely from another machine. My EM also worked but for a limited period of time for only about 10 to 15 min then after that I cannot access it due to a problem in the agent background process or daemon that is resulted from the error happened during the installation, and need to restart my machine. Here is what happened.

My installation is a stand alone database (database control / console database). Everything went smoothly during the installation except the following error that I couldn't get rid of or fix it, and I just continued the installation by clicking on the continue button of the OUI alert window. The error message on the alert window is:

Error in invoking target 'agent nmhs' of makefile '/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/sysman/lib/ins_emagent.mk'. See '/u01/app/oraInventory/logs/installActions2010-06-24_03-22-15PM.log' for details.

and here is the contenets (error part) of the installActions2010-06-24_03-22-15PM.log file

INFO: /usr/bin/ld: /u01/app/oracle/product/carried(nmectlt.o): undefined reference to symbol 'B_DestroyKeyObject'
      */usr/bin/ld: note: 'B_DestroyKeyObject' is defined in DSO /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/lib/libnnz11.so so try adding it to the linker command line*
      */u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/lib/libnnz11.so: could not read symbols: Invalid operation*
      INFO: collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
      *INFO: make[1]: --- [u01/app/oracle/product/carried] Error 1*
      INFO: make[1]: Leaving directory `/u01/app/oracle/product/carried'
      *INFO: make: --- [emdctl] Error 2*
      INFO: End output from spawned process.
      INFO: ----------------------------------
      INFO: Exception thrown from action: make
      Exception Name: MakefileException
      Exception String: Error in invoking target 'agent nmhs' of makefile '/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/sysman/lib/ins_emagent.mk'. See '/u01/app/oraInventory/logs/installActions2010-06-24_03-22-15PM.log' for details.
      Exception Severity: 1
      INFO: Calling Action unixActions10.2.0.3.0 ; make
      registerOnly = false
      installMakePath = /usr/bin/make
      installMakeFileName = /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/rdbms/lib/ins_rdbms.mk
      installTarget = all_no_orcl
      undoMakeFileName =
      installArguments = ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1
      logFile = /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/install/make.log
      undoTarget =
      progMsg = Linking RDBMS Executables

After all the above, I am going to explain here how this error affected the EM. Here is the output of starting the dbconsole:

$ emctl start dbconsole
      Oracle Enterprise Manager 11g Database Control Release 11.2.0.1.0
      Copyright (c) 1996, 2009 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
      http://bassam-desktop:1158/em/console/aboutApplication
      Starting Oracle Enterprise Manager 11g Database Control .... started.
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Logs are generated in directory /u01/app/oracle/product/carried-desktop_orcl/sysman/log

and here is the output of the status of the dbconsole

$ emctl status dbconsole
      http://bassam-desktop:1158/em/console/aboutApplication
      EM Daemon is not running.
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Logs are generated in directory /u01/app/oracle/product/carried-desktop_orcl/sysman/log

notice the EM Daemon (agent background process) is not running

Becuase of this error, the actual status of the database is not shown up in the EM. For example, if I try to startup my database through the EM, it starts successfully, but its status will not be shown, same thing happens for the listener. Clicking the View Details link in the EM after starting up the database shows up the following:

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Sat Jun 26 03:43:36 2010
      Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.
      SQL> Connected to an idle instance.
      SQL> SQL> ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 1489829888 bytes
      Fixed Size          1336624 bytes
      Variable Size          922749648 bytes
      Database Buffers     553648128 bytes
      Redo Buffers          12095488 bytes
      Database mounted.
      Database opened.

SQL> Disconnected from Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
      With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Agent is Not Running

again notice the last line of the message Agent is not running.

After all the above, I beleive that the installation error is the cause of all that. I would appreciate it if you could help me solving this problem. Thanks.

Bassam A. Al-Khaffaf
        • 1. Re: installation error in invoking target 'agent nmhs'
          Lubiez Jean-Valentin
          Hello,

Everything went smoothly during the installation except the following error that I couldn't get rid of or fix it, and I just continued the installation by clicking on the continue button of the OUI alert window. The error message on the alert window is:

Error in invoking target 'agent nmhs' of makefile '/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/sysman/lib/ins_emagent.mk'.
          It won't help you to solve this issue but, others reported exactly the same error when installing Oracle 11.2 on Fedora 13 and, couldn't eventually use EM:

http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1373810

Best regards,
          Jean-Valentin
          • 2. Re: installation error in invoking target 'agent nmhs'
            Hi,
            Thanks for your reply. I have already come across the post that you mentioned in Fedora forum. However, it doesn't help at all. The post showes how to execlude the EM from the installation, while I want to use the EM.

I am not sure if this error happenes with Redhat 5.0. Any idea? I am thinking to try installing Oracle 11g R2 on it, and the problem is that the trial version of redhat supports only two sockets and I am not sure if this is enough as a test bed for oracle 11g R2.

Regards,
            Bassam
            • 3. Re: installation error in invoking target 'agent nmhs'
              Fahd.Mirza
              You should check the compatibility matrix to verify that if Oracle 11gR2 is certified to be run on Fedora 13 at all?

regards
              • 4. Re: installation error in invoking target 'agent nmhs'
                Lubiez Jean-Valentin
                Hello,

Red Hat 5 update 2 is among the supported OS. You may also use the corresponding Oracle Linux Enterprise release.

Please find enclosed a link about the OS requirements:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e10840/pre_install.htm#CHDFFBIF
                the trial version of redhat supports only two sockets and I am not sure if this is enough as a test bed for oracle 11g R2.
                It depends on your test.

If you want to just let running the database and make a few training with it, it may be enough.

Best regards,
                Jean-Valentin

Edited by: Lubiez Jean-Valentin on Jun 26, 2010 12:04 PM
                • 5. Re: installation error in invoking target 'agent nmhs'
                  Hi,

I have successfully installed Oracle 11g R2 after some manual intervention to solve this linker error.
                  The linker error actually gave the useful hint to solve this problem:

INFO: /usr/bin/ld: /home/akos/app/akos/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/sysman/lib//libnmectl.a(nmectlt.o): undefined reference to symbol 'B_DestroyKeyObject'
                  /usr/bin/ld: note: 'B_DestroyKeyObject' is defined in DSO /home/akos/app/akos/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/lib/libnnz11.so so try adding it to the linker command line
                  /home/akos/app/akos/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/lib/libnnz11.so: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
                  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

This means that the gcc linker phase lacked an option for "-lnnz11". I run "make agent nmhs" manually,
                  so the last command that gave an error can be copy&pasted to the command line. Adding "-lnnz11"
                  after "-lcore11" to the command made it run successfully, and also re-running "make agent nmhs"
                  on the command line didn't fail now. Then I chose the "Retry" button in the installer GUI and it proceeded.

This change in the Fedora 13 linker was announced at
                  http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Release_Notes/sect-Release_Notes-The_GCC_Compiler_Collection.html
                  In Fedora 12 and earlier it was allowed to an app with library A and the app was able to use symbols
                  from every other libraries (B, C, ...) that library A was linked with. In Fedora 13 this is not allowed anymore,
                  your app needs to be linked explicitely with library B, C, etc.

Later, there was another problem with SELinux not allowing text relocation in .../product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/lib/libclntsh.so.11.1
                  which was solved by running:

chcon -t textrel_shlib_t '.../product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/lib/libclntsh.so.11.1'

and re-running configuration of "Oracle Net Configuration Assistant". This allows keeping SELinux on.

After that, installation and setup of the first database succeeded on Fedora 13.
                  • 6. Re: installation error in invoking target 'agent nmhs'
                    Hello,

could you please explain how this ""I run "make agent nmhs" manually"" is done
                    for other FC13 users?

Thanks
                    Michael
                    • 7. Re: installation error in invoking target 'agent nmhs'
                      found it

start here
                      ORACLE_HOME/sysman/lib

make -f ins_emagent.mk "agent"

last gcc call fails

copy the hole gcc command and add as mentioned:
                      snip ... -lnmemso -lcore11 -lnnz11 ...snip

thanks to user13306069, some more how to hints would be nice!

Michael
                      • 8. Re: installation error in invoking target 'agent nmhs'
                        Dear all,
                        First of all, I would like to thank all of you for your contributions towards solving the above mentioned problem. The solution that is provided by the user user13306069 is confusing, and when I came to apply it, I lost my way and got confused. I would appreciate if some one could help in writing that solution in more detailed way, preferably as steps, in order to be much easier for all those willing to deal with Oracle 11gR2 on Fedora 13 to cope this installation problem.

My question here, where can I apply the solution, before starting the installation, after the installation or during the installation when I got alerted about the linking error?

Regards,
                        Bassam
                        • 9. Re: installation error in invoking target 'agent nmhs'
                          Thanks for the clue, I managed to do it.

Bassam
                          • 10. Re: installation error in invoking target 'agent nmhs'
                            Hi.
                            So you want to build for fedora 13 without getting the error...

When you start to install with ./runInstaller, run in another terminal window (as root)
                            ls $ORACLE_HOME/sysman/lib/ins_emagent.mk

At first this will produce an error, as the installer wont have created this file yet.
                            Once the file exists, do:
                            vi $ORACLE_HOME/sysman/lib/ins_emagent.mk
                            Search for the line
                            $(MK_EMAGENT_NMECTL)
                            Change it to:
                            $(MK_EMAGENT_NMECTL) -lnnz11

If you do it within 30-40 seconds of the file appearing, you should not get any errors and the build will go fine. If you get an error, finish your edit then click on retry.

Hope that helps.
                            Gordon.

Edited by: me@grussell.org on 07-Jul-2010 06:54
                            • 11. Re: installation error in invoking target 'agent nmhs'
                              you are a living legend!
                              thankyou!
                              • 13. Re: installation error in invoking target 'agent nmhs'
                                thanks. It works for me
                                • 14. Re: installation error in invoking target 'agent nmhs'
                                  WalterAuma
                                  wow, thanks ur a genius! it worked for me
                                  1 2 Previous Next