This content has been marked as final. Show 4 replies
It sounds like you're a little further along than I am. I installed Oracle 8i Client 18.104.22.168.0 (Ent. Ed.) on a W2K SP1 PC and am able to use the Oracle ODBC driver to access an Oracle database. But when I try to use the "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle" driver (v2.573.5303 and then updated to v2.573.6526) I get an error message:
--taken from the Microsoft website as a problem with the DEC Alpha version only--
When you attempt to create a Data Source Name (DSN) for the Alpha version of the Microsoft Oracle ODBC Driver (v2.573.2927) for use with the Oracle8 client components, you receive the following error:
"The Oracle(tm) client and networking components were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3 (or greater) client software installation.
You will be unable to use this driver until these components have been installed."
The Alpha version of the Microsoft Oracle ODBC Driver is looking for specific Oracle 7.3 dynamic-link libraries (DLLs) which are not part of the Oracle8 client component install.
This problem is corrected in MS Oracle ODBC Driver for Alpha found in MDAC 2.1. (not SP2).
Well I'm running under Windows 2000 SP1 on a Pentium III, not an Alpha, but this is exactly the message I see. And the Oracle Client is installed according to the Oracle Universal Installer and fact of working database access using Oracle ODBC. Even though I was using MDAC 2.5 SP1, I updated to MDAC 2.6 with no change.
Did you get this message after you installed Oracle 8i and tried to open the "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle" driver to config it? Did you have to anything to work around it?
The MS website makes comments about some features not working with the MS ODBC for Oracle driver but states that in general it works with Oracle 8x. I thought it was interesting that the message refers to Client "7.3 or later" and wondered if something changed between Oracle 7 and 8 that is confusing the MS ODBC setup.
If I can get past this, I'll let you know if I'm able to connect (i.e. your problem).
It's possible that the Microsoft ODBC driver doesn't work with the 8.1.7 Oracle client. Is there a reason that you need to use the Microsoft driver rather than the Oracle driver?
"Need" probably isn't correct. At the moment I'm planning to use the Oracle ODBC driver with some PERL scripts since the MS ODBC doc says that the later doesn't support some Oracle functions (not sure if it matters yet).
I was just concerned that MS ODBC didn't work since it does work on another PC (NT4.0 SP6a, set up with older ODBC and Oracle drivers by an admin) using earlier ODBC & 8x Oracle driver & client. I'm just trying to make sure that I have everything installed and set up correctly.
Although I haven't gotten to it yet, I've heard anecdotal reports that some MS apps work "better" with the MS ODBC driver rather than the Oracle ODBC driver. I was just trying to find it I had both available and why the MS ODBC wasn't working. The message I'm getting is that the Oracle client isn't installed, not that some function doesn't work.
Also, the MS support area (for MDAC 2.5. I was using 2.5 SP1 and now 2.6) specifically says (Q244661, 11/14/2000):
The Microsoft Oracle ODBC Driver and Oracle OLEDB Provider that ship with Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.5 and later have been tested and are written to work with Oracle 8i Database Servers. Previous versions of the driver and provider were not tested against Oracle 8i and are not supported against the Oracle 8i database.
My concern is that they may be referring to 8.1.5 when they say that their products support Oracle 8i. Given that 8.1.7 was just released, I'm not sure that Microsoft has certified their drivers on 8.1.7 yet.