11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2010 12:16 PM by 646075 RSS

exclamation mark on script output tab

Hi,

I am new to the latest version of sqldeveloper. I was running a sql statement on the sql worksheet.
      Nothing came out except an exclamation mark was posted on the script output tab.
      I was pretty sure that I had the privilege to execute the select statement.
      I knew there was some kind of problem but did not know what.
      And there was no help message on the exclamation mark.
      Does anyone know how to look up the error message from sqldeveloper?
      What does the exclamation mark mean?

Here is the select statement I ran and I had the select any table privilege

select * from all_views
      where owner = 'ACCEPT_EOLETL'
      and rownum <= 100

Thanks,

Andrew
        • 1. Re: exclamation mark on script output tab
          -K-
          OS/DB/JDK/sqldev versions?
          When running as script (F5) you should get the errors right in the Script Output tab. When running as statement (F9), the errors should pop up. Try the latter...

K.
          • 2. Re: exclamation mark on script output tab
            I was using version 2.1.1.64.
            I was executing the statement (F9), but there was no error output to the screen. It just popped an exclamation mark.
            Was this a configuration problem?
            • 3. Re: exclamation mark on script output tab
              -K-
              Please answer the questions asked...
              • 4. Re: exclamation mark on script output tab
                K,

I try to figure out which question has I not answered.
                I guess you also want the version of OS/DB/JDK. Here are the versions:
                DB: Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - 64bi
                PL/SQL Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
                CORE     10.2.0.1.0     Production
                TNS for Linux: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
                NLSRTL Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
                JDK: 1.6.0_21
                sqldev: 2.1.1.64

As I said before, I was executing the statement (F9). But there was no error output to the screen. It just popped an exclamation mark.

Thank you for your help.

Andrew
                • 5. Re: exclamation mark on script output tab
                  -K-
                  And F5?
                  Also see if there's an entry in View - Task Progress. If so, something more on mouseover?

K.
                  • 6. Re: exclamation mark on script output tab
                    Irian
                    Probably you got some kind of unexpected error, i got this once myself but i was never able to reproduce it afterwards.

If you actually get this behavior constantly, try to execute with F5 and see if there is an error reported in the script output window, you can also start up SQLDeveloper from sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper/bin/sqldeveloper.exe and see if you get some error reported there.
                    • 7. Re: exclamation mark on script output tab
                      The Task Progress dockable would surely be showing a failed task. Double click on the progress bar of the task..it would popup a dialog containing the error message.

-Raghu
                      • 8. Re: exclamation mark on script output tab
                        This is strange. I was able to run F5 on the same sql query, but fail on F9. Can anyone explain to me why???
                        When it failed on F9. Nothing came out on the "Script Out" tab but an exclamation mark.
                        When I ran the same query on F5, the output went to the "Query Result" tab without any problem.
                        Here is the query. Nothing fancy. I was the owner and also had the select any table privilege:

select * from all_views
                        where owner = 'ACCEPT_TEST1_611_ETL'

Raghu, I found the task progress dockable and double clicked on the progress bar.
                        It showed java.lang error "Out of Java heap space". But why did it not show the same error on F5???
                        It might be that the "Query Result" tab had more Java heap space than the "Script Out" tab???

Thank all. Mystery solved.

Andrew
                        • 9. Re: exclamation mark on script output tab
                          Raghu, I found the task progress dockable and double clicked on the progress bar.
                          It showed java.lang error "Out of Java heap space". But why did it not show the same error on F5???
                          It might be that the "Query Result" tab had more Java heap space than the "Script Out" tab???

Thank all. Mystery solved. Do you know how to resize the heap space of Java VM or SQLDeveloper??

Andrew
                          • 10. Re: exclamation mark on script output tab
                            "Out of Java heap space" is odd.
                            Whats the value of "sql array fetch size" preference ?
                            How much is the RAM ?

Also, did you see any exceptions in console ?

-Raghu
                            • 11. Re: exclamation mark on script output tab
                              The sql array fetch size is set at 50 rows. It should not run out of heap memory.
                              My ram size is 3.4G. Something definitely wrong here.
                              Is this a configuration problem? Any idea how to fix this????

Thanks,

Andrew