9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2010 6:07 PM by 687909 RSS

configuring maximum protection mode in dataguard with oracle 10g

Dear All,
      I am facing a big problem in my configuration for oracle dataguard in maximum protection mode. as per oracle documentation i have done the following.

on the primary database i configured the floowing parameter.

LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2='SERVICE=CDER LGWR SYNC AFFIRM
      VALID_FOR=(ONLINE_LOGFILES,PRIMARY_ROLE)
      DB_UNIQUE_NAME=CDER'

on the standby i configured the following parameters.

LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2='SERVICE=REDC LGWR SYNC AFFIRM
      DB_UNIQUE_NAME=REDC'

i created standby redo logs on the standby database as per documentation.

I shut down the primary database and started it in mount stage and i executed the following commands.

SQL> ALTER DATABASE SET STANDBY DATABASE TO MAXIMIZE PROTECTION

after database was sucessfully alterd, i execute it the following command to open the database.

SQL > ALTER DATABASE OPEN;

what is happening is that i am recieving the Error end of communication channel and also after i look at the log file the following error is in place

Thu Jul 22 23:33:37 2010
      Errors in file c:\oracle\product\10.2.0\admin\redc\bdump\redc_psp0_1088.trc:
      ORA-16072: a minimum of one standby database destination is required

though when i reset the dataguard to maximize performance it work really successful and the database open;

please guys guide me through this
        • 1. Re: configuring maximum protection mode in dataguard with oracle 10g
          NS
          Oracle recommends using two standby databases if you are using Maximum protection mode.
          • 2. Re: configuring maximum protection mode in dataguard with oracle 10g
            So you are saying until i have atleast 2 standby database, this configuration will not work
            • 3. Re: configuring maximum protection mode in dataguard with oracle 10g
              Dear Oracle Fond,

Below link's poster has the same problem with you;

http://orasnap.blogspot.com/2008/06/dataguard-ora-16072.html

To correct your problem please refer;

http://ora-16072.ora-code.com/

You have to check Metalink note 245731.1 and i could not paste the contents of the note here.

Hope That Helps,

Ogan
              • 4. Re: configuring maximum protection mode in dataguard with oracle 10g
                Dear, Thanks for the post. I have checked the content above, they are removing the standby configuration, in my case i just want to move from maximum performance to maximum protection. that is it.
                • 5. Re: configuring maximum protection mode in dataguard with oracle 10g
                  kabuataya,

Can you please show the pfile that has been created from the spfile on your primary database. I really want to check the other system parameters.

Ogan
                  • 6. Re: configuring maximum protection mode in dataguard with oracle 10g
                    you got it

redc.__db_cache_size=1056964608
                    redc.__java_pool_size=16777216
                    redc.__large_pool_size=16777216
                    redc.__shared_pool_size=318767104
                    redc.__streams_pool_size=0
                    *.audit_file_dest='C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\admin\REDC\adump'
                    *.background_dump_dest='C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\admin\REDC\bdump'
                    *.compatible='10.2.0.3.0'
                    *.control_files='C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\oradata\REDC\control01.ctl','C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\oradata\REDC\control02.ctl','C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\oradata\REDC\control03.ctl'
                    *.core_dump_dest='C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\admin\REDC\cdump'
                    *.db_block_size=8192
                    *.db_domain=''
                    *.db_file_multiblock_read_count=8
                    *.DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT='C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\oradata\CDER','C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\oradata\REDC','D:\oracle\oradata\CDER','D:\oracle\oradata\REDC'
                    *.db_name='REDC'
                    *.DB_UNIQUE_NAME='REDC'
                    *.dispatchers='(PROTOCOL=TCP) (SERVICE=REDCXDB)'
                    *.FAL_CLIENT='REDC'
                    *.FAL_SERVER='CDER'
                    *.job_queue_processes=10
                    *.LOG_ARCHIVE_CONFIG='DG_CONFIG=(REDC,CDER)'
                    *.LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_1='LOCATION=D:\oracle\Archives
                    VALID_FOR=(ALL_LOGFILES,ALL_ROLES)
                    DB_UNIQUE_NAME=REDC'
                    *.LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2='SERVICE=CDER LGWR SYNC AFFIRM
                    DB_UNIQUE_NAME=CDER'
                    *.LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_STATE_1='ENABLE'
                    *.log_archive_dest_state_2='ENABLE'
                    *.LOG_ARCHIVE_FORMAT='%t_%s_%r.arc'
                    *.LOG_ARCHIVE_MAX_PROCESSES=5
                    *.LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT='D:\oracle\Archives','D:\oracle\Archives'
                    *.open_cursors=300
                    *.pga_aggregate_target=471859200
                    *.processes=150
                    *.REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE='EXCLUSIVE'
                    *.sga_target=1417674752
                    *.STANDBY_FILE_MANAGEMENT='AUTO'
                    *.undo_management='AUTO'
                    *.undo_tablespace='UNDOTBS1'
                    *.user_dump_dest='C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\admin\REDC\udump'
                    • 7. Re: configuring maximum protection mode in dataguard with oracle 10g
                      kabuataya,

I have checked the parameters that are related with the data guard configuration and they seem fine but one parameter. Why do you need 5 log archive processes? (LOG_ARCHIVE_MAX_PROCESSES=5). You may decrease it two but i guess it is irrelevant in you situation, this is just an information. If your standby has the same parameters and the other parameters that need to be configured for the standby, than its absolutely OK.

You need to add a standby archivelog destination on both sites. This destination could be the same with the current archive log destination for log_archive_dest_1.

For instance;
                      sql> alter system set standby_archive_dest='LOCATION=USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST' scope=both sid='*';
                      OR
                      sql> alter system set standby_archive_dest='D:\oracle\Archives' scope=both sid='*';
                      About you problem, do you have standby redologs on the primary database? (select * from v$standby_log). You must configured standby redologs for maximum protection and availability but not for performance. Switch or two logfiles and post the above query on both sites.

Hope That Helps,

Ogan
                      • 8. Re: configuring maximum protection mode in dataguard with oracle 10g
                        Dear,
                        I Tested your solution but i am still having the same issue, anyway. below is hte result of v$standby_logs

Primary

GROUP# DBID THREAD# SEQUENCE#
                        ---------- ---------------------------------------- ---------- ----------
                        BYTES USED ARC STATUS FIRST_CHANGE# FIRST_TIM LAST_CHANGE#
                        ---------- ---------- --- ---------- ------------- --------- ------------
                        LAST_TIME
                        ---------
                        4 UNASSIGNED 0 0
                        524288000 512 YES UNASSIGNED 0 0

standby

GROUP# DBID THREAD# SEQUENCE#
                        ---------- ---------------------------------------- ---------- ----------
                        BYTES USED ARC STATUS FIRST_CHANGE# FIRST_TIM LAST_CHANGE#
                        ---------- ---------- --- ---------- ------------- --------- ------------
                        LAST_TIME
                        ---------
                        4 UNASSIGNED 0 0
                        524288000 512 YES UNASSIGNED 0 0
                        • 9. Re: configuring maximum protection mode in dataguard with oracle 10g
                          Hi,

Did you get it resolved ? Was that your db_unique_name set wrongly ?

Thanks !