6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2011 12:12 PM by 830522

11.1.2 SEVERE: Listener is not up or database service is not registered.

I set out to learn Essbase but along the way one needs learn about the Oracle db.

I’ve installed, uninstalled and then reinstalled the Oracle db and Essbase a number of time. 11.1.2 on Windows 7 Ultimate. Along with the usual supporting apparatus such as Weblogic and the Oracle Http Server.

I currently have only the db (11.1.2) installed and am trying some simple operations that should better acquaint me with its use. One pretty obvious thing is to create a second database (in addition to ORCL that is).

I’ve used the Database Configuration Asst several times. I can CREATE the database and then explore it in sqlplus however I consistently have a problem integrating the new database with Enterprise Manager. These are briefly the key errors messages (from the emca log files):

Jul 27, 2010 11:29:25 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.ParamsManager checkListenerStatusForDBControl
      CONFIG: ORA-12541: TNS:no listener
      Jul 27, 2010 11:29:25 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig perform
      SEVERE: Listener is not up or database service is not registered with it. Start the Listener and register database service and run EM Configuration Assistant again .
      Refer to the log file at D:\oracle\app\Administrator\cfgtoollogs\emca\TEST1\emca_2010_07_27_23_28_54.log for more details.
      Jul 27, 2010 11:29:25 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig perform
      CONFIG: Stack Trace:

Either the listener isn’t there or the (new) database service isn’t registered with the listener. However it would appear that the listener is there and the new database service is registered. The new database and service is TEST1:

d:\Oracle\app\Administrator\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\BIN>lsnrctl status
      LSNRCTL for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 28-JUL-2010 10:26:57
      Copyright (c) 1991, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.
      Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1521)))STATUS of the LISTENER
      ------------------------
      Alias LISTENER
      Version TNSLSNR for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Produ
      ction
      Start Date 27-JUL-2010 23:58:49
      Uptime 0 days 10 hr. 28 min. 7 sec
      Trace Level off
      Security ON: Local OS Authentication
      SNMP OFF
      Listener Parameter File D:\oracle\app\Administrator\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\ne
      twork\admin\listener.ora
      Listener Log File d:\oracle\app\administrator\diag\tnslsnr\hostname\li
      stener\alert\log.xml
      Listening Endpoints Summary...
      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROC1521ipc)))
      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=127.0.0.1)(PORT=1521)))
      Services Summary...
      Service "CLRExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
      Instance "CLRExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
      Service "TEST1XDB" has 1 instance(s).
      Instance "test1", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
      Service "orcl" has 1 instance(s).
      Instance "orcl", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
      Service "orclXDB" has 1 instance(s).
      Instance "orcl", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
      Service "test1" has 1 instance(s).
      Instance "test1", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
      The command completed successfully

d:\Oracle\app\Administrator\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\BIN>

After investigating a number of different things, at this point I’m suspecting some underlying network problem that’s not directly reported in the Oracle log files.

I’ve seen that machines using DHCP can, from Oracle’s point of view, have funky things going on as regards differing variants of what the local machine address is. It’s my understanding that on Windows this can be remedied with the Windows Loopback Adapter and I do have it installed. Actually, I’ve tried my above db problem with the Loopback Adapter both installed and uninstalled and it didn’t seem to make a difference.
        • 1. Re: 11.1.2 SEVERE: Listener is not up or database service is not registered.
          As you didn't post your emca command, it is difficult to see what is going on.
          However you also seem to suffer from the misunderstanding, common to people who don't read documentation, Enterprise Manager will manage n databases.
          Enterprise is a GUI only, which gets its data from DbControl. DbControl will however manage one (1) database only, so either you need two dbcontrols running on two different port numbers, or you need to buy Grid Control.

--------------------
          Sybrand Bakker
          Senior Oracle DBA
          • 2. Re: 11.1.2 SEVERE: Listener is not up or database service is not registered.
            Thanx – that was actually somewhat useful. I was thinking that a second port should figure in somehow but only now do I realize (I believe) that I need to create a second instance of dbcontrol with emca.

I finally did do a ‘direct’ emca command (drawn from the forums here) but prior to that all the ‘listener is not up or database service is not registered’ messages I got came back from the GUI Database Configuration Asst and so I never saw the emca commands that it generated – should try to see if the GUI tool generates a log file. The one direct emca command I ran did generate a LOG file (so the GUI should also) but I see that the LOG file doesn’t contain the command one issues (I do remember needing to set ORACLE_HOME before emca would run properly).

As for documentation, I first so much as started with the Oracle software maybe 3 weeks ago. And the documentation, like the software, is vast. My experience is that there’s a sort of dialectic between software one is new to and its documentation. In principle one should also be able to ask possibly ignorant questions in forums like this one.
            • 3. Re: 11.1.2 SEVERE: Listener is not up or database service is not registered.
              EdStevens
              user13093351 wrote:
              <snip>
              As for documentation, I first so much as started with the Oracle software maybe 3 weeks ago. And the documentation, like the software, is vast. My experience is that there’s a sort of dialectic between software one is new to and its documentation. In principle one should also be able to ask possibly ignorant questions in forums like this one.
              True. But after you've been around a while (and if you're not part of the problem) you'll start to see that MANY people post questions where it is obvious that they seem to think that this forum is the only resource available. The very nature of the Oracle product is such that one would assume that anyone in this forum is (in theory) a professional and, as such, should have and exhibit some degree of self-reliance. Unfortunately that expectation is far (far, far) too often thwarted.

As for the docs - yes they are vast and can be intimidating. When I first started with Oracle (and this was with several years experience as a programmer/analyst) it seemed one had to understand everything else in order to understand anything at all. There is a way to start breaking it down, however.

=================================================
              Learning how to look things up in the documentation is time well spent investing in your career. To that end, you should drop everything else you are doing and do the following:

Go to tahiti.oracle.com.

Drill down to your product and version.

<b><i><u>BOOKMARK THIS LOCATION</u></i></b>

Spend a few minutes just getting familiar with what is available here. Take special note of the "books" and "search" tabs. Under the "books" tab you will find the complete documentation library.

Spend a few minutes just getting familiar with what <b><i><u>kind</u></i></b> of documentation is available there by simply browsing the titles under the "Books" tab.

Open the Reference Manual and spend a few minutes looking through the table of contents to get familiar with what <b><i><u>kind</u></i></b> of information is available there.

Do the same with the SQL Reference Manual.

Do the same with the Utilities manual.

You don't have to read the above in depth. They are <b><i><u>reference</b></i></u> manuals. Just get familiar with <b><i><u>what</b></i></u> is there to <b><i><u>be</b></i></u> referenced. Ninety percent of the questions asked on this forum can be answered in less than 5 minutes by simply searching one of the above manuals.

Then set yourself a plan to dig deeper.
              - Read a chapter a day from the Concepts Manual.
              - Take a look in your alert log. One of the first things listed at startup is the initialization parms with non-default values. Read up on each one of them in the Reference Manual.
              - Take a look at your listener.ora, tnsnames.ora, and sqlnet.ora files. Go to the Network Administrators manual and read up on everything you see in those files.
              - When you have finished reading the Concepts Manual, do it again.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

=================================
              1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: 11.1.2 SEVERE: Listener is not up or database service is not registered.
                Thanx Ed – I’m checking out tahiti.orcale.com

As for self-reliance, I don’t think one can fully judge from posts here. Last night (or was it the night before?), I tried this:

http://kr.forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=622380

That is, temporarily use a fixed (not DHCP) IP address; reinstall Oracle; and then switch back to DHCP except install the MS Loopback Adapter making sure to assign it the fixed IP address that you’d previously used. That all worked except it didn’t fix my problem.

Along the way (a wk ago?) I wiped my hard drive and reinstalled the OS; my applications; Oracle; etc. I’m getting fairly fast at the procedure – it helps that I have a shared data and applications partition. Shared that is between Windows 7 and Kubuntu.

I’ve built a Kubuntu virtual machine with VirtualBox (in Windows 7) but haven’t used it yet because the question in my mind is how does one shove the (large) memory requirements of both Oracle and Essbase into the the 1.5 GB that I allocated for the machine? (I have 6 GB of physical RAM).

And if I were to write all this up it would take 10 html pages.
                • 5. Re: 11.1.2 SEVERE: Listener is not up or database service is not registered.
                  EdStevens
                  user13093351 wrote:
                  Thanx Ed – I’m checking out tahiti.orcale.com

As for self-reliance, I don’t think one can fully judge from posts here. Last night (or was it the night before?), I tried this:

http://kr.forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=622380

That is, temporarily use a fixed (not DHCP) IP address; reinstall Oracle; and then switch back to DHCP except install the MS Loopback Adapter making sure to assign it the fixed IP address that you’d previously used. That all worked except it didn’t fix my problem.

Along the way (a wk ago?) I wiped my hard drive and reinstalled the OS; my applications; Oracle; etc. I’m getting fairly fast at the procedure – it helps that I have a shared data and applications partition. Shared that is between Windows 7 and Kubuntu.

I’ve built a Kubuntu virtual machine with VirtualBox (in Windows 7) but haven’t used it yet because the question in my mind is how does one shove the (large) memory requirements of both Oracle and Essbase into the the 1.5 GB that I allocated for the machine? (I have 6 GB of physical RAM).

And if I were to write all this up it would take 10 html pages.
                  I wasn't necessarily trying to accuse you. Just explaining why many here can seem hypersensitive. Like I said, after you've been around a while and seen how many people seem incapable of even looking up an error message or a question about simple SQL syntax ..... ;-)
                  • 6. Re: 11.1.2 SEVERE: Listener is not up or database service is not registered.
                    To Senior DBA, I couldnt help but noticed you have a really bad attitude. If you dont like helping, dont help and keep your mouth shut. For a DBA, you're really arrogant. Sheezus, how much do you earn anyway?
                    Get a life mate..We're all good at different things.