3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2012 1:16 PM by mrigg RSS

"All Data Points" option missing on Totals

mrigg
      In one particular workbook (Discoverer Desktop 10.1.2.2) , when I go to edit or create a total for any of the Table worksheets, the "All Data Points" option isn't there. I can still create sums, counts, etc. on the individual columns. Am I forgetting something obvious? Is there some set of circumstances where "All Data Points" wouldn't be an option?
        • 1. Re: "All Data Points" option missing on Totals
          mrigg
          This was my question from a couple of years ago, and I'm bringing it up again because I'm running into the same issue. Maybe since then someone has run into the same issue or has some insight...?

Still the same version as before (Discoverer Desktop 10.1.2.2). On the worksheet I'm dealing with now, the items I'm hoping to sum are all based on calculations similar to this (at the detail level):

item: "A Grades" - Calculation: case when student_grade like 'A%' then 1 else 0 end
          item: "B Grades" - Calculation: case when student_grade like 'B%' then 1 else 0 end

... and so on - basically I want to get a sum of all A+/A/A- grades, of all B+/B/B- grades, etc.

I can create totals for the individual calculations, but the "All Data Points" option is missing. I'm wondering if it doesn't consider the items to be data points, for some reason. (There are no "data points", as defined in Admin, among the other items I'm selecting - just "top".)

This is not a show-stopper, since I can create the totals individually, just wondering if there's something I can do differently in the calculation to make it a "Data Point".

Any thoughts?
          Thanks,
          Martha

Edited by: mrigg on Aug 1, 2012 12:41 PM
          to correct typo in "B Grades" calc.
          • 2. Re: "All Data Points" option missing on Totals
            Rod West
            Hi,

You will only have the "All Data Points" option when creating a new total if there is a data point in the report. Unlike a crosstab report where you can drag an item into the crosstab table to make it a data point, in the table report there is no way to tell Discoverer that a calculation is a data point.

Items (including calculated items) in a folder can be changed to be a data point by changing the default position property to "Data point" using Disco Administrator. If you add a data point item into the report then the "All Data Points" option will be available.

Also you can trick Discoverer into using a calculation as a data point by using an aggregate function e.g. sum(case when student_grade like 'A%' then 1 else 0 end), but Discoverer will then use a group by in the query and this may give you a different result.

Rod West
            • 3. Re: "All Data Points" option missing on Totals
              mrigg
              Thanks, Rod, that confirms what I'm seeing as well. I later made some updates to the sheet I was referring to - users decided they only wanted summaries, not detail - so I created calculations with "sum" like your example. Sure enough, I had the "all data points" option for totals. Minor mystery solved, I guess.