This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2012 5:58 PM by Victor Armbrust RSS

Oracle 11gR2 RAC installtion on Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.5

OraUser Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi RAC Experts,

I have two 2 GB Intel Machines ( P3 processor ) connected via LAN and having one NIC ( Network Interface Cards ) card each. I want to install RAC on these for testing high availability.

I went through the setup guide and found that we need to have additional NIC to configure a interconnect between these tow nodes. Also i read that we need cluster-aware storage that is connected to each server in the cluster. Oracle Clusterware supports NFS, iSCSI, Direct Attached Storage (DAS), Storage Area Network (SAN) storage, and Network Attached Storage (NAS) at least 10GB in size. No where it is mentioned that we can use local hard drive for storage. I don't have any additional storage and only have these two machines with local hard drives in them.

I am also not clear about the network configuration we need to do for configuring the private IPs, VIP, SCAN ect as specified in the installation guide. Also does these IP needs to be static?

I want to know whether it is feasible to configure two node RAC with two 2 GB machines and having additional NIC for the interconnect between these two. I don't have any other SAN etc.

It would be a great help if anyone can point me to a detailed document that can be clearly specify how to configure the interconnect on Linux between these two machines and the steps to install RAC. For installing RAC first i need to install Oracle Grid Infrastructure ( clusterware ).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards
  • 1. Re: Oracle 11gR2 RAC installtion on Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.5
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Clusters are not Volkswagens.. You cannot take a Volkswagen and think you're able to race in a F1GP race.

If you do not have the correct h/w architecture, you will be limiting RAC and restricting its capabilities severely. RAC is not a mickey mouse throw-a-couple-of-PC-servers-together architecture. On the NIC side, you need at least 4 + 1. 2 NICs for the public network, bonded. 2 NICs for the Interconnect, bonded. This is the RAC part. Then 1 NIC to the service processor for lights out management access.

RAC is only as good as the hardware architecture used. For the Interconnect, it means at bare minimum using a dedicated network and switch, running 1Gb Ethernet. And that is scraping the bottom of the barrel. The standard today (as used by Oracle Database Machine RAC) is 40Gb Infiniband. And not running UDP using IPoIB (IP over Infiniband), but SDP (Sockets Direct Protocol).

A fast I/O fabric layer is a must. 2Gb dual fibre channels via Host Based Access (HBA) hardware, as often used for SANs and storage system arrays, barely suffices. What does Oracle's Exadata storage server for RAC use? SRP (SCSI RDMA Protocol) over paired 40Gb channels running over an IB fabric layer to the storage system.

I cannot emphasise enough that RAC is a high-end state of the art architectures. No, that does not mean expensive. But that means using specific hardware and software technologies aimed at clusters. I have seen RACs using 100Mb Ethernet as Interconnect - and I have seen how utterly pathetic performance is, the frustrations and problems experienced. Simply because the so-called architects that choose the h/w components were brilliant in their total ignorance of HPC (High Performance Computing) and RAC.

Do not make the same mistake.
  • 2. Re: Oracle 11gR2 RAC installtion on Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.5
    OraUser Newbie
    Thanks Billy for the information.

But in my case i don't want to build a production capable RAC. It is just a test setup. Performance also doesn't matter much. I want to configure this with the bare minimum resources that are needed for just a test purpose.

It would be a great help if someone can provide me some useful documentation ( on configuring the virtual IP address on Linux etc and other configuration ) to setup RAC with the limited resources i have. I gone through the setup guide but found that it is explained at a high level and i am a novice.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards
  • 3. Re: Oracle 11gR2 RAC installtion on Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.5
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Ora User wrote:

But in my case i don't want to build a production capable RAC. It is just a test setup. Performance also doesn't matter much. I want to configure this with the bare minimum resources that are needed for just a test purpose.
    Test exactly what? The actual installation of Oracle s/w is easy. You simply click the next button.. and again.. and again. And that's about it. The only manual interaction is selecting a home directory, selecting the public and interconnect interface and so on.

The complex part is prepping the servers and setting up the Interconnect, shared storage, and so on. Getting the hardware up and running, the drivers installed and configured, and testing it for stability. And as these will not be the real thing (e.g. not using Infiniband or 10Gb GigEther, etc), one need to question what the value is of this exercise.

Once installed, it would be pretty useless as far as RAC goes. Cache Fusion is used as an I/O layer over the Interconnect. Using a 100Mb Ethernet for the Interconnect now means that this is quite likely actually slower than doing physical I/O to shared storage used. Which is kind of a fatal flaw...
    It would be a great help if someone can provide me some useful documentation ( on configuring the virtual IP address on Linux etc and other configuration ) to setup RAC with the limited resources i have. I gone through the setup guide but found that it is explained at a high level and i am a novice.
    For example, configure another IP on Linux is as simple as running ifconfig and creating a second logical NIC on a physical one, e.g.
    ifconfig eth0:1 <ipaddress> <netmask>

But this is not going to solve the RAC requirement for a dedicated and private Interconnect NIC. Or how you're going to address the requirement for shared storage?

I question the usefulness of such an exercise. IMO there's very little that you will learn about RAC using the "limited resources" to hack something together.

If you do decide to push ahead anyway, then consider virtualisation instead. With this approach you can at least create a number of virtual NICs to use, setup shared storage as SCSI devices and so on. And even if RAC knowledge gained with this approach is limited, it is a good learning curve for dealing with virtualisation.
  • 4. Re: Oracle 11gR2 RAC installtion on Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.5
    robinhalabicki Newbie
    Can you explain/justify this statement:

" The standard today (as used by Oracle Database Machine RAC) is 40Gb Infiniband. And not running UDP using IPoIB (IP over Infiniband), but SDP (Sockets Direct Protocol)."

Based on what is SDP perferred over UDP using IPoIB
  • 5. Re: Oracle 11gR2 RAC installtion on Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.5
    onedbguru Pro
    You need a MINIMUM for a TEST-ONLY environment

4-8G memory
    2 NIC cards
    SHARED Storage (ISCSI,NAS) - you CANNOT use local drives only!

You must be able to read the requirements for ASM and be able to connect/use/test if you want to become proficient in RAC and ths configuration is only a very small test. It will barely(if at all) give you enough knowledge to maybe pass a test.
  • 6. Re: Oracle 11gR2 RAC installtion on Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.5
    LANCERIQUE Newbie
    Hi,

I created an inexpensive RAC for test porpose on my laptop(Configuration as below). You may follow below link to build the same.

HDD - 500GB
    RAM - 8GB
    VMWARE workstation.
    Storage - Iscsi.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/hunter-rac11gr2-iscsi-088677.html

Regards,
    Nikhil Mehta.

Edited by: LANCERIQUE on Nov 29, 2012 9:54 PM
  • 7. Re: Oracle 11gR2 RAC installtion on Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.5
    user12288492 Newbie
    SETUP AND PLAY WITH 11G R2 RAC AT YOUR HOME PC

U can try following set up using Linux virtual machines and openfiler for virtual shared storage.

http://koenigocm.blogspot.in/search/label/SETUP%20AND%20PLAY%20WITH%2011G%20R2%20RAC%20AT%20YOUR%20HOME%20PC
  • 8. Re: Oracle 11gR2 RAC installtion on Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.5
    Victor Armbrust Oracle ACE
    There is a lot of pre-requisites you need to pay attention before you implement Oracle RAC 11.2

I think the gurus on later posts had clarify your needs, however I would like to share some content with you guys. I made a install guide (you can found a lot of guides on the web) but this one is exactly you need (OEL 5.5 + Oracle GI DB 11.2.0.2). My blog is in portuguese, but I`m sending you the english version:

http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fvictor-dba.blogspot.com.br%2Fp%2Fclusterware.html&langpair=pt%7cen&en=pt&en=utf8

If you plan to use HAIP you'll need 2 or more NIC interfaces (max 4 interfaces)...

Victor

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points