This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2012 7:44 AM by ondrej.balaz RSS

Exception occurring when starting SES's middletier

789771 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I receive this exception when I use searchctl start:

oracle.search.config.wls.OESException: Error while executing action: "startall"
Caused by: oracle.search.config.wls.WLSTException: oracle.search.config.wls.WLSTException: Traceback (innermost last):
File "<string>", line 5, in ?
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'setRotationType'

Caused by: oracle.search.config.wls.WLSTException: Traceback (innermost last):

at oracle.search.config.wls.SearchCtl.run(SearchCtl.java:1340)
at oracle.search.config.wls.SearchCtl.main(SearchCtl.java:1384)
Caused by: oracle.search.config.wls.WLSTException: oracle.search.config.wls.WLSTException: Traceback (innermost last):

at oracle.search.config.wls.EmbeddedWLST.setLogRotation(EmbeddedWLST.java:968)
at oracle.search.config.wls.WLSCtl.getServerStartupProperties(WLSCtl.java:1244)
at oracle.search.config.wls.WLSCtl.startNodeManager(WLSCtl.java:255)
at oracle.search.config.wls.WLSCtl.start(WLSCtl.java:122)
at oracle.search.config.wls.SearchCtl.run(SearchCtl.java:1241)
... 1 more

at oracle.search.config.wls.ExtendedWLSTInterpreter.executeCmd(ExtendedWLSTInterpreter.java:135)
at oracle.search.config.wls.EmbeddedWLST.setLogRotation(EmbeddedWLST.java:958)
... 5 more

This has occurred twice. One, when I attempted to install UCM on the same box the first time (this is a development box, so I'm not worried about performance of SES). I reinstalled both SES and UCM and SES worked fine. UCM, on the other hand, failed to start up, so it was removed and is headed for the only other machine available. The second time that this occurred, I started the install for a regular database on this machine (different directory, different SID, port, etc). After the installer performed the tests, I needed to reboot the machine for a different reason, so I exitted out of the installer and on reboot I got TNS access exceptions and this exception when starting from the command line. Is there a way to fix this or should SES be the only thing on this machine?
  • 1. Re: Exception occurring when starting SES's middletier
    imspgl Newbie
    Was this SES instance upgraded from 10.1.8? There is one bug (9303715) that mentions the same WLSTException AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'setRotationType' after upgrade, but the error is not deterministically reproducible. Please see if the index optimization or DB trace logs had flagged any corruption?
  • 2. Re: Exception occurring when starting SES's middletier
    794907 Newbie
    Hello, I'm dealing with the same problem and already analysed the DB traces but I didn't find anything.
    In my case, the power machine got down and during the process to restart I got the mentioned error, like follow below:

Informe admin_passwd (senha administrativa):

========================================================================
    Executing: /u01/app/oracle/product/11.1.2.0.0/ses/seshome/bin/sqlplus /nolog
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

========================================================================

oracle.search.config.wls.OESException: Erro ao executar ação: "start"
    Causado por: oracle.search.config.wls.WLSTException: oracle.search.config.wls.WLSTException: Traceback (innermost last):

Causado por: oracle.search.config.wls.WLSTException: Traceback (innermost last):

at oracle.search.config.wls.SearchCtl.run(SearchCtl.java:1340)
         at oracle.search.config.wls.SearchCtl.main(SearchCtl.java:1384)

at oracle.search.config.wls.EmbeddedWLST.setLogRotation(EmbeddedWLST.java:968)
         at oracle.search.config.wls.WLSCtl.getServerStartupProperties(WLSCtl.java:1244)
         at oracle.search.config.wls.WLSCtl.startNodeManager(WLSCtl.java:255)
         at oracle.search.config.wls.WLSCtl.start(WLSCtl.java:122)
         at oracle.search.config.wls.SearchCtl.run(SearchCtl.java:1204)
         ... 1 more

at oracle.search.config.wls.ExtendedWLSTInterpreter.executeCmd(ExtendedWLSTInterpreter.java:135)
         at oracle.search.config.wls.EmbeddedWLST.setLogRotation(EmbeddedWLST.java:958)
         ... 5 more
    Erro ao executar ação: "start"

I also tried to start WebLogic Server manually with the hope to start the Oracle SES Service, but the password chosen during the SES installation didn't work properly and I got "authentication denied" error.
    No more for now. Thanks.
  • 3. Re: Exception occurring when starting SES's middletier
    ondrej.balaz Newbie
    Hi,
    I've been facing same exception when I accidentally run searchctl with root privileges. I did ' find <OSES INSTALLATION DIRECTORY> -uid 0 -or -gid 0 -exec echo chown oracle:oracle \{\} \;' as root and then switched back to the 'oracle' user and did 'searchctl stopall' and 'searchctl startall' and everything worked as expected. Hope this is your case too and restoring original ownership of files will help.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points