6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2010 4:47 PM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle

DB migration from AIX to Linux

Dear Experts,
      We are planning to migrate our existing 10g database of 11.5.10.2 from AIX to Linux. Can anyone share their experiences? Some docs/URLS will be helpful. One of my friends told that it takes more than 36 hours to complete the database migration. Is it really true? The current database size is approx. 100GB.

After the migration does, apps function as usual?

Thanks in advance.
      SA
        • 1. Re: DB migration from AIX to Linux
          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
          Hi,

You can use export/import or transportable tablespaces to migrate the database.

10gR2 Transportable Tablespaces Certified for EBS 11i
          http://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/2010/04/10gr2_xtts_ebs11i.html

Migrating E-Business Suite Release 11i Databases Between Platforms
          http://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/2008/08/migrating_ebusiness_suite_databases_between_platfo.html

Note: 362205.1 - 10g Release 2 Export/Import Process for Oracle Applications Release 11i

How long the task would take? Depends on the hardware resources you have. The best practice is to try this on a test instance first.

The application should work as expected once the task is completed.

Thanks,
          Hussein
          • 2. Re: DB migration from AIX to Linux
            Thank you hussein.

Will keep you posted about the progress.

Regards,
            SA
            • 3. Re: DB migration from AIX to Linux
              Hi,
              Both the URLs embedded appears to be broken link. Not sure if it worked for you. Can you please check?

Thanks
              SA
              • 4. Re: DB migration from AIX to Linux
                Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                Hi,

I was able to access the link by the time I posted my previous reply, but looks like it is down now. However, you already have the export/import document referenced in my previous reply. For the transportable tablespace method, please refer to (Note: 729309.1 - Using Transportable Database to migrate Oracle E-Business Suite 11i Using Oracle Database 10g Release 2 Enterprise Edition).

Platform Migration using Transportable Database: Oracle Database 10g Release 2
                http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/pdf/MAA_WP_10gR2_PlatformMigrationTDB.pdf

Thanks,
                Hussein
                1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: DB migration from AIX to Linux
                  Hussein,
                  After reading the links and docs, i think the transportable database is a better option than using expdp and impdp. Whats your thoughts in this? Can we avoid invalid object errors if we use the "transportable database" approach?

Thanks
                  SA
                  • 6. Re: DB migration from AIX to Linux
                    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                    SA,

Using the transportable tablespace option should be a good approach. However, before having this approach available it was only through export/import and I never had any issues when using it.

Thanks,
                    Hussein