3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2010 12:34 PM by EdStevens RSS

TNSNames.ora missing ?

hi
      i installed Oracle 10g recently. and since i had a patch to install, i disbled installing the startup DB. after installation was successful, i then installed the patch and everything was successful.
      finally, since everything was successful, i invoked dbca and then started to created the first SID. here, when the creation started, immediately it gave an error saying that "ORA-12638:Credential retrieval failed". after googling, i found that its due to the parameter change in sqlnet.ora and hence i changed the SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES into (none). after this modification the database creation went smoothly and successfully i installed the db.

the problem is this.
      i can access the database through sql*plus but when i tried to connect through sql navigator, it gave an error saying that the TNS name could not be resolved (something like this)
      then i tried to locate the TNSnames.ora file but i the only file in the Network/admin folder was the sqlnet.ora file and the samples folder. it seems that the tnsnames,ora and the other files are missing.

can u please tell me what has happened and what can i do to get the TNS names.ora file back ??
      i am new to oracle so descriptions are highly accepted :)
        • 1. Re: TNSNames.ora missing ?
          Rajesh Lathwal
          use netca/netmanager to configure tnsnames.ora.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe/2day_dba/network/network.htm#t4a

Regards
          Rajesh
          • 2. Re: TNSNames.ora missing ?
            Hi Rajesh,

Good day to you.
            I have installed the Oracle Client 10g Release 2 in the VM environment.However I could not track the file TNSNames.ora
            I have tried the link provided by you, there is no Net Manager available to select. Do u have any other solutions to track the missing TNSNames.ora or alternative methods to configure TNSNames.ora?

I'm new to Oracle and need your help.

Thanks in advance.

Warmest Regards,
            Sze Khin
            • 3. Re: TNSNames.ora missing ?
              EdStevens
              804253 wrote:
              Hi Rajesh,

Good day to you.
              I have installed the Oracle Client 10g Release 2 in the VM environment.However I could not track the file TNSNames.ora
              I have tried the link provided by you, there is no Net Manager available to select. Do u have any other solutions to track the missing TNSNames.ora or alternative methods to configure TNSNames.ora?

I'm new to Oracle and need your help.

Thanks in advance.

Warmest Regards,
              Sze Khin
              Did you try netca instead of netmgr?