I'm experiencing a problem running TSAM on a Windows 7 platform - I had the following non-fatal error during the installation (extract from TSAM_11gR1_InstallLog.log):
Execute Script/Batch file: reg.bat
Additional Notes: ERROR - java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\malcolm.freeman\AppData\Local\Temp\007563.tmp\executeScriptTmp.bat (The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process)
TSAM appeared to start OK using startup.cmd (I was able to login to the console), but when I ran tmboot I got the following error in the ULOG from LMS:
150627.494.johannesburg!LMS.7464.7808.0: 08-13-2010: Tuxedo Version 188.8.131.52.0, 32-bit
150627.494.johannesburg!LMS.7464.7808.0: LIBTUX_CAT:262: INFO: Standard main starting
150627.502.johannesburg!LMS.7464.7808.0: ERROR: TSAM is not installed properly
150627.508.johannesburg!LMS.7464.7808.0: LIBTUX_CAT:250: ERROR: tpsvrinit() failed
Does anyone have a suggestion for overcoming this problem?
I am aware that TSAM is probably not supported on Windows 7, but it is a useful OS to use for demonstrating the capability, since you can run multiple MACHINES on a single platform. Tuxedo itself runs without a problem on Windows 7.
Any and all advice gratefully received!
When you installed Tuxedo and TSAM, did you run the installers with elevated privileges, i.e., Run as Administrator? I think the security hardening that is in Windows 7 is probably what is causing your problems.
Also, I find I prefer to use VirtualBox and run Linux or other supported OS and use that for demonstrations, testing, and the like. But to each his own.
Oracle Tuxedo Chief Architect
I actually did run the install as administrator after a complete reboot (although I guess I could be mistaken .......). Anyway, I was able to sucessfully install in stages, firstly the TSAM Manager, and then the TSAM agent. I'll try the full install again, and if I have a different outcome I'll post the details.
Thanks for your advice regarding VirtualBox, I must have a look at that option.
If you've got it working, can you please post exactly what you did? As you say, Windows 7 isn't a supported Tuxedo server platform, although in the past, Tuxedo has worked on pretty much any NT derivative, which is handy for developers using Windows.
Good luck with VirtualBox. I've found it really handy, especially if you have the disk space. I just leave machines in a saved state and they restore within a small number of seconds. So if you have the disk space, you can pretty much have any combination of OS, Tuxedo versions, etc., all on the same machine.
Oracle Tuxedo Chief Architect
It was quite a straightforward process - I ran the uninstaller to remove the installation that was giving the problem, and then removed the remnants of the c:\tsam11gR1 directory (contained derby.log and tsam.log). After rebooting the machine I then executed the install using "Run as administrator", choosing the TSAM Manager option - this was successful (the C:\uninstall_tsam11gR1\TSAM_11gR1_InstallLog.log showed no errors); I then ran the install again (as administrator), this time installing the TSAM agent, also with no errors. I then booted Tuxedo, and the two LMSs started with no problems, and then started the TSAM manager which immediately picked up the Tux configuration.
TSAM appears to work fine (I'm using a generic client and server to model various Tuxedo configs); but if I come across any issues I will post the details.
It's probably also worth mentioning than I did the installations first thing on Monday after booting the laptop, before starting any other apps; and I had not used the laptop since the Friday. I'm pretty certain I ran the installation as administrator as my last attempt on the Friday, so I don't know if my previous unsuccessful attempts immediately beforehand influenced that failure. Understandably, I'm a little reluctant at this stage to uninstall and try the full install again now that I have a working installation!