1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2010 11:23 AM by 567090 RSS

Fixed Assets Mass Addition

Hi,

We have the below requirement in 11i:

When there is a mass addition, there should be an option to assign accounting code combinations at a category or setup level so that it defaults to all items on a divisional accounting basis. This is to enable divisional accounting for Balance Sheet and Depreciation (Profit & Loss).

Is this possible using standard functionality?

thanks.
      S.Sriram
        • 1. Re: Fixed Assets Mass Addition
          As far as i know, we define/assign the accounting code combinations for all the accounts at the asset category level. And the accounts defined above are used across assets module.

Do you need to achieve something specific at the mass additions level, if yes than please calrify, since i was not able to understand clearly.

Thanks and Regards
          Manish Jain.
          • 2. Re: Fixed Assets Mass Addition
            Hi Manish,

Thanks for the response.

Here is what we are trying:

While we do the Category set up, we tried to assign accounting code combinations for P&L and Balance Sheet postings.

When we run the Mass Additions to create Assets, only the P&L assigned at the category level gets defaulted on the Assets and we still have to assign Balance Sheet accounts manually.

I would like to know why it doesnt get defaulted from the category setup.

Please let me know if you need further information.

thanks.
            S.Sriram
            • 3. Re: Fixed Assets Mass Addition
              These are the accounts which are defined at the asset category level:

Asset Cost
              Asset Clearing
              CIP Cost
              CIP Clearing
              Depreciation A/c
              Accumulated Depreciation A/c
              Revaluation Reserve

Now when you create the mass additions, which accounts are defaulted from the asset category level and what accounts you are specifying manually?

Thanks and Regards
              Manish Jain.
              • 4. Re: Fixed Assets Mass Addition
                Hi Manish,

Only the Asset Clearing and CIP Clearing accounts are getting defaulted. For all other accounts, even if a value is entered at the Category level, they do not get defaulted when we do Mass Addition.

Are we missing some setup step?

thanks.
                S.Sriram
                • 5. Re: Fixed Assets Mass Addition
                  Hi

I am using Solution beacon vision instance and have tried entering an asset using mass additions and below are my observations:

I entered the Asset book, Transaction date, asset category, number of units and than clicked on the Assignments button and entered the Expense Account and Location.

For the expense acount the system is automatically defaulting the following:

Company Segment Value - 01 as company value (since the default value has been set at the Key Flexfields segments window)
                  Account Segment Value - Depreciation expense account (This value is being defaulted from the Asset category window based on the Category setup)
                  Sub-Account - Defaulted as 0000 (since the default value has been set at the Key Flexfields segments window)
                  Product - Defaulted as 0000 (since the default value has been set at the Key Flexfields segments window)

The system is prompting me to enter the value for the department segment as it is not automatically defaulted. (No Default value has been set at the Key flexfields segments window)

I didnt find a place where in i can see the asset clearing account or cip clearing account was being asked or used while creating mass additions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the asset is being brought from other module such as Payables, than the Asset clearing account or CIP Clearing account would have been entered at the Invoice distributions level and that is being brought into the Mass additions window and is displayed in the source tab screen.

But apart from the above i have not been able to find a tab/field wherein system asks or prompt me to enter the other accounts as mentioned by you.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on the above, do you find any difference of what you might be seeing or the accounts being defaulted.

Thanks and Regards
                  Manish Jain.
                  • 6. Re: Fixed Assets Mass Addition
                    vinitp
                    Hi Sriram

In the prepare mass additions screen, you can specify only the Expense Account (whcih is the depreciation account). The asset account is picked up automaitcally by the system. The logic for obtaining the asset account code comoniation is as follows: The balancing segment is obtained from the balancing segment specified in the expense account, the natural account from the asset category and remaining all segment value is picked up from the asset book default account.

Please specify exactly which screen and which balance sheet accounts you are referring to.

Vinit
                    • 7. Re: Fixed Assets Mass Addition
                      Hi Manish / Vinit,

Thanks for the reply.

Here is what I'm trying to do:

1) I navigate to Asset Categories.
                      2) Create a new asset category with the below accounts:

Asset Cost : 01-50-10-138-09012-0000
                      Asset Clearing : 01-00-00-000-09999-0000
                      Depreciation Expense Segment : 61070
                      Accumulated Depreciation : 01-50-10-138-09014-0000
                      Bonus Expense : 61070
                      Bonus Reserve : 01-50-10-138-09014-0000
                      CIP Cost : 01-50-10-138-09995-0000
                      CIP Clearing : 01-00-00-000-09999-0000

3) I click on 'Default Rules'
                      4) Under 'Depreciation' I give values for 'Method', 'Life years'.
                      5) I give the 'Proprate Convention' and 'Retirement Convention' as 'FOLL-MONTH'
                      6) I save the changes.
                      7) I navigate to Mass Additions -> Prepare Mass Additions
                      8) I give the expense account as 01-50-138-61070-0000
                      9) Once the Mass Additions is run, I check for the JOURNALS.
                      10) Instead of Asset Cost 01-50-10-138-09012-0000, I have 01-00-00-000-09012-0000
                      11) The CIP Cost shows as 01-00-00-000-09995-0000
                      12) Accumulated Depreciation 01-50-10-138-09014-0000 gets defaulted to 01-00-00-000-09014-0000

I would not want the accounts segments to get defaulted to '01-00-00-000'.

Please let me know what setup change needs to be done to get this solved.

thanks.
                      S.Sriram
                      • 8. Re: Fixed Assets Mass Addition
                        vinitp
                        Hi Sriram

As mentioned in my previous update,

The logic for obtaining the asset account code comoniation is as follows: The balancing segment is obtained from the balancing segment specified in the expense account, the natural account from the asset category and remaining all segment value is picked up from the asset book default account.

Please check the default account set in the asset book. The remaining accounts are getting defaulted from there.

Thanks
                        Vinit
                        • 9. Re: Fixed Assets Mass Addition
                          Hi Vinit,

Could you please let me know the navigation to check it.

Should I check in Setup -> Asset Systems -> Book Controls ?

thanks.
                          S.Sriram
                          • 10. Re: Fixed Assets Mass Addition
                            The navigation is as mentioned below:

Setup>Asset System>Book Controls - This will take you to the Asset book definition window wherein under the natural accounts tab you can find the accounts details

Setup>Asset System>Asset Categories - This will take you to the Asset Categories window where in you will find the asset book attached to the categories and also the accounts defined.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards
                            Manish Jain.
                            • 11. Re: Fixed Assets Mass Addition
                              Hi,

Is there a way in Standard Oracle where I can make the Mass Additions program to default account code combinations from the Asset Category rather than the SoB level ?

thanks.
                              S.Sriram
                              • 12. Re: Fixed Assets Mass Addition
                                If you need to do something like that , you probably are asking for customization of the Account Generator in some way or the other.

Secondly, you also need to check whether the customization will work or not in Mass Additions window screen, since it relates to at the time of asset accounting when Run Depreciation is executed.

What is the need for such a requirement that you need the accounts to be defaulted from Asset Category, than SOB Level?

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards
                                Manish Jain.
                                • 13. Re: Fixed Assets Mass Addition
                                  Hi Manish,

My understanding is that the 'Account Generator Defaults' under the 'Natural Accounts' tab in 'Book Controls' form decides the default segments that are reflected in the Journals.

We would not want to modify the defaults at the Book level as more than one Asset Category use the same Book.

As an alternate, can we customise the code such that when Mass Additions is run, the program should:

1) Check for Accounts in the Asset Category level. If there is a value that should be considered rather than the 'Account Generator Defaults' under the 'Natural Accounts'.
                                  2) Else if there is no value, then 'Account Generator Defaults' should be used.

Please let me know if this is possible and if it might have implications elsewhere.

thanks.
                                  S.Sriram
                                  • 14. Re: Fixed Assets Mass Addition
                                    When the Run Depreciation process is executed in FA, it triggers the Accounting process which in turn is controlled by the FA Account Generator.

The FA Account Generator is designed as such to pick up the specific accounts from specific places i.e. from the Book and the Category level.

And this generator process kicks in when the asset is already existing in the FA module and we need to create the accounting and close the periods.

However what you are trying to achieve is something different i.e. when you are doing mass additions, you want the accounts to be populated from the Asset category level, but remember one thing, that is there any accounting entry created when the mass additions is being done, i presume none.

Coming to the account generator stuff, the value which is provided over there is just for the setup purposes and as such it does not effectively control what accounts will be picked up and not.

The FA Account generator has by default been defined to pick up the accounts from Asset Category and SOB level based on the transactions performed and the type of transactions.

I would sugegst you to get in touch with Oracle Consulting to get an idea from them as to what are the possibilities.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards
                                    Manish Jain.
                                    1 2 Previous Next