1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2011 7:13 AM by Udo

Images not showing - Weblogic 10.3.3 - APEX 4.0

swright1
      I followed the instructions and deployed apex.war and i.war but when the images are not showing when I go into APEX. Is there something that I could have missed in the instructions? I've been going over and trying them repeatedly hoping for better results, but no luck so far...

I'm using WebLogic 10.3.3 and APEX 4.0. I get into APEX fine and see the images using the PL/SQL Gateway, but not using WebLogic.

I've googled up others that have had this problem but found no solutions. I'm about to give up on WebLogic and assume that it doesn't work with the APEX Listener. I only used it since it seems to be Oracle's preferred platform, but then, I haven't found any clear statement from Oracle as to what is the preferred platform for APEX.

How do I fix the problem, and if it can't be fixed, which web technology would you recommend? I figure glassfish or tomcat might be possibilities...

Thanks.

- Scott
        • 1. Re: Images not showing - Weblogic 10.3.3 - APEX 4.0
          Kris Rice-Oracle
          I'm not sure what went wrong for you and with no error log it make is difficult to diagnose .

Give this a try to use the listener.
          http://krisrice.blogspot.com/2010/08/getting-running-with-apex-listener-101.html

-kris
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Images not showing - Weblogic 10.3.3 - APEX 4.0
            Haakon
            Have the exact same problem.
            Installed everything as per instructions, but no images are showing.

The chapter +"Create Web Archive for Oracle Application Express Images"+ could've been a bit more detailed, still not sure I've done this part correct.....
            Like for instance, if you run the jar command from the <apex directory>, do you still have to enter full strings for <temp directory> and <apex directory>?
            I ran the jar command without any directory naming and then copied the war-file to the WebLogic server for deployment there.

Edited by: Haakon on 24.aug.2010 14:59
            • 3. Re: Images not showing - Weblogic 10.3.3 - APEX 4.0
              swright1
              Thanks Kris!

I've looked at your blog and many others many times while trying to solve this problem. Your blog entries are very helpful since I've found that APEX documentation is somewhat lacking on certain issues such as this one.

I've had an SR in with Oracle for several days with no results. So far they are just collecting information. They had me set <entry key="apex.debug.debugger">true</entry> in /tmp/apex/apex-config.xml and upload the log after trying to access the apex login page where the images are not showing. Is this the best way to find the problem, or are there other methods I should be using? I looked over the log that I uploaded but didn't see anything that I new how to use... Hopefully the analyst will see something.

I noticed on your blog that you have listed command line options like:

-Dapex.images=/images/location : Path to the folder containing static images

Do you think that these commands might be used somehow to help weblogic find the images that I deployed via the i.war?

I also noticed that you said "Grizzly" from glassfish was used. Would it be better to switch to Glassfish from WebLogic since I am having problems with WebLogic that I can't seem to solve? I haven't been able to figure out which method is best for deploying APEX. I assume that Oracle prefers WebLogic since they list it first in the APEX listener installation documentation. It is also my understanding that the APEX listener is and will continue to be the prefered method of deployment. Am I correct?

Thanks.

- Scott

Edited by: swright1 on Aug 24, 2010 10:50 AM
              • 4. Re: Images not showing - Weblogic 10.3.3 - APEX 4.0
                swright1
                Kris,

I tried the command from your website but it failed.

java -jar apex.war

resulted in the following error:

Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from apex.war

Can you tell me why I am getting this error and how to resolve it? I didn't see this step in the apex listener installation instructions. What is this step for and how did you know to do it?

Thanks.

- Scott
                • 5. Re: Images not showing - Weblogic 10.3.3 - APEX 4.0
                  swright1
                  Haakon,

As I understand it, if you use the full paths, don't forget the "." at the end of the command since it looks like punctuation but it is actually needed. The final period argument instructs jar to archive all the contents of that directory, but not the directory itself. I used something like this:

/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/jdk/bin/jar -cvf0 /dba/apex_listener/i.war -C /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/apex/images .

which in my case is:

jar –cvf0 <temp directory>\i.war –C <apex directory>\images .

If you are in the file system with the images (in my case /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/apex/images) then I think that you could also just run the command:

jar -cvf i.war *

I tried and deployed it both ways and still am not getting the images to appear, but maybe your problem is different...

Hope this helps!

- Scott
                  • 6. Re: Images not showing - Weblogic 10.3.3 - APEX 4.0
                    Kris Rice-Oracle
                    If you re-download, it's fixed there was a bad zip loaded for about 6 hours and you must have gotten that one.
                    -kris
                    • 7. Re: Images not showing - Weblogic 10.3.3 - APEX 4.0
                      swright1
                      Kris,

I downloaded the new one and it was quite different than the one I downloaded before.

What should I enter at the following prompt? I followed the instructions for the i.war file so the images are deployed as an application. What should I enter for the path to the directory?

java -jar apex.war
                      INFO: Starting: /u01/listen/apex.war
                      See: 'java -jar apex.war --help' for full range of configuration options
                      INFO: Extracting to: /home/oracle/.apex/8080
                      Enter the path to the directory containing the APEX static resources
                      Example: /Users/myuser/apex/images
                      or press Enter to skip:

I originally downloaded:
                      apex_listener.1.10.179.10.43.zip

My most recent download is:
                      apex_listener.1.10.230.17.38.zip

Thanks.

- Scott
                      • 8. Re: Images not showing - Weblogic 10.3.3 - APEX 4.0
                        Kris Rice-Oracle
                        When you download apex and unzipped it there's an images directory. Or if you are just using apex that is default in the database it's $ORACLE_HOME/apex/images

-kris
                        • 9. Re: Images not showing - Weblogic 10.3.3 - APEX 4.0
                          swright1
                          Kris,

WebLogic is installed on a different server than APEX, so I can't access the images from the WebLogic server via $ORACLE_HOME/apex/images and I originally unzipped APEX with the images on the database server to install APEX.

I went to the database server and created the i.war file from the images in $ORACLE_HOME/apex/images by using the command:

/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/jdk/bin/jar -cvf0 /dba/apex_listener/i.war -C /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/apex/images .

I copied the resulting i.war file to the server with WebLogic installed and then I deployed it as an application as per the APEX listener instructions. The APEX listener instructions don't seem to mention anything else, so I assume that this puts the images somewhere on the WebLogic server. I'm not sure where.

Searching for an arbitrary gif image file on the WebLogic server, I got the following results prior to copying over additional images (I explain later in this post):

find /u01 -name list_button_left_hl.gif
                          /u01/oracle/Oracle/Middleware/user_projects/domains/base_domain/servers/AdminServer/tmp/.appmergegen_1281987400744_i.war/themes/theme_1/list_button_left_hl.gif
                          /u01/oracle/Oracle/Middleware/user_projects/domains/base_domain/servers/AdminServer/tmp/.appmergegen_1281987400744/i.war/mco05k/themes/theme_1/list_button_left_hl.gif
                          /u01/oracle/Oracle/Middleware/user_projects/domains/base_domain/servers/AdminServer/tmp/.appmergegen_1282144341561_i.war/themes/theme_1/list_button_left_hl.gif
                          /u01/oracle/Oracle/Middleware/user_projects/domains/base_domain/servers/AdminServer/tmp/.appmergegen_1282144341561/i.war/mco05k/themes/theme_1/list_button_left_hl.gif
                          /u01/oracle/Oracle/Middleware/user_projects/domains/base_domain/servers/Server-0/tmp/_WL_user/i/6ac9lg/war/themes/theme_1/list_button_left_hl.gif
                          /u01/tmp/_WL_user/i/6ac9lg/war/themes/theme_1/list_button_left_hl.gif

As per the instructions on your blog I tried:

java -jar apex.war
                          Enter the path to the directory containing the APEX static resources
                          Example: /Users/myuser/apex/images
                          or press Enter to skip: /u01/oracle/Oracle/Middleware/user_projects/domains/base_domain/servers/Server-0/tmp/_WL_user/i/6ac9lg/war
                          INFO: Using classpath: file:/home/oracle/.apex/8080/apex/____embedded/start.jar:file:/home/oracle/.apex/8080/apex/WEB-INF/lib/apex.jar:file:/home/oracle/.apex/8080/apex/WEB-INF/lib/ojdbc6.jar:file:/home/oracle/.apex/8080/apex/WEB-INF/lib/ojmisc.jar:file:/home/oracle/.apex/8080/apex/WEB-INF/lib/poi-3.6-20091214.jar:file:/home/oracle/.apex/8080/apex/WEB-INF/lib/commons-fileupload-1.2.1.jar:file:/home/oracle/.apex/8080/apex/WEB-INF/lib/ucp.jar:
                          INFO: Starting Embedded Web Container in: /home/oracle/.apex/8080
                          Enter a username for the APEX Listener Administrator [adminlistener]:
                          Enter a password for adminlistener:
                          Confirm password for adminlistener:
                          Enter a username for the APEX Listener Manager [managerlistener]:
                          Enter a password for managerlistener:
                          Confirm password for managerlistener:
                          Aug 24, 2010 4:19:37 PM ____bootstrap.Deployer deploy
                          INFO: Will deploy application path=/home/oracle/.apex/8080/apex/WEB-INF/web.xml
                          Aug 24, 2010 4:19:38 PM ____bootstrap.Deployer deploy
                          INFO: deployed application path=/home/oracle/.apex/8080/apex/WEB-INF/web.xml
                          Aug 24, 2010 4:19:38 PM com.sun.grizzly.Controller logVersion
                          INFO: Starting Grizzly Framework 1.9.18-o - Tue Aug 24 16:19:38 EDT 2010
                          INFO: Please complete configuration at: http://localhost:8080/apex/listenerConfigure

It didn't work. So I copied everything in $ORACLE_HOME/apex/images on the database server to a file system on the WebLogic server and tried:

java -jar apex.war -Dapex.images=/dba/apex_images

and I get:

java -jar apex.war -Dapex.images=/dba/apex_images
                          INFO: Using classpath: file:/home/oracle/.apex/8080/apex/____embedded/start.jar:file:/home/oracle/.apex/8080/apex/WEB-INF/lib/apex.jar:file:/home/oracle/.apex/8080/apex/WEB-INF/lib/ojdbc6.jar:file:/home/oracle/.apex/8080/apex/WEB-INF/lib/ojmisc.jar:file:/home/oracle/.apex/8080/apex/WEB-INF/lib/poi-3.6-20091214.jar:file:/home/oracle/.apex/8080/apex/WEB-INF/lib/commons-fileupload-1.2.1.jar:file:/home/oracle/.apex/8080/apex/WEB-INF/lib/ucp.jar:
                          INFO: Starting Embedded Web Container in: /home/oracle/.apex/8080
                          Aug 25, 2010 9:52:54 AM ____bootstrap.Deployer deploy
                          INFO: Will deploy application path=/home/oracle/.apex/8080/apex/WEB-INF/web.xml
                          Aug 25, 2010 9:52:55 AM ____bootstrap.Deployer deploy
                          INFO: deployed application path=/home/oracle/.apex/8080/apex/WEB-INF/web.xml
                          Aug 25, 2010 9:52:55 AM com.sun.grizzly.Controller logVersion
                          INFO: Starting Grizzly Framework 1.9.18-o - Wed Aug 25 09:52:55 EDT 2010
                          INFO: http://localhost:8080/apex started.

It still doesn't work. What should I try next? Do I need to move the web.xml and/or other files somewhere to make this work?

Also, my server that I setup was on port 8001 and I was accessing it via that port. It seems what I just did insists on port 8080. Can this method only be used for port 8080?

Thanks.

- Scott
                          • 10. Re: Images not showing - Weblogic 10.3.3 - APEX 4.0
                            swright1
                            Another interesting thing... This is my first time using WebLogic.

I notice that what would normally be in logs/Server-0.out is shown on the screen where I am running java –jar apex.war

I imagine that I should do something like "nohup java –jar apex.war 2>&1 &"

I checked the WebLogic logs and WebLogic doesn't seem to be logging whatever this command is doing. I assumed from the APEX Listener instructions that I would create an application from the apex.war file and run it from an existing server. This seems to be running in some other manner. How does this work and why do the APEX Listener Instructions not mention using "java –jar apex.war"?

The instructions I am using are at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/apex-listener/apex-listener-v1-157668.pdf

Thanks.

-Scott
                            • 11. Re: Images not showing - Weblogic 10.3.3 - APEX 4.0
                              I had the same problem. I applied the patch for APEX 4.0.1, recreated the i.war file from the patch/images folder, and redeployed it to WebLogic. That solved the problem for me.
                              • 12. Re: Images not showing - Weblogic 10.3.3 - APEX 4.0
                                swright1
                                I can see the images!

As suggested by Greg, I applied the patch for APEX 4.0.1, recreated the i.war file from the patch/images folder, and redeployed it to WebLogic. BTW - I had some issues with instructions for applying the 4.0.1 patch. The file locations in some of the commands didn't seem to match up with the way the patch was unzipped, but after some time consuming creative interpretations of the instructions on my part, I got the patch installed. I think that there is considerable room for improvement on the instructions for all of the products (APEX patch, Weblogic, and the APEX listener).

As suggested by Oracle Support via the SR, rather than using the java version that comes with 11gR2, I upgraded java on the WebLogic server and created i.war using that version. Also as recommended by the Oracle analyst from the SR, I also used shorter path names in my commands like:

jar -cvf0 /u01/war/i.war -C /u01/images401

The analyst's recommendation was:

"There seems to be slight differeneces in the way scott created his i.war. Informed customer that he needs to use Java 6 Update 20 JDK or higher and it is preferable to use the one that comes with WLS. Also, directory tree structure should be short as explained in the APEX 4.0 Install guide > Section 3.3.6"

I also used the newer version of the apex.war file that Kris suggested using.

I also redeployed everything and bounced the WebLogic server. I had some difficulty deploying the war files, WebLogic seems to be a bit fusy and I had to deploy uninstall and redeploy a few times before everything seemed to be right.

Some or all of these may have solved the problem, since now I can see the images!

Thanks to Kris and Greg and Sudha (the analyst on the SR)! This was an aggravating time burner of a problem, and I appreciate all the help!

- Scott
                                • 13. Re: Images not showing - Weblogic 10.3.3 - APEX 4.0
                                  Haakon
                                  Ok, this looks promising... I'll start on the patch path and see if I can get this thing working...
                                  It strikes me that we're probably on the "bleeding edge" here in regards to using this latest APEX version. Patches and files are released as we speak, instructions are somewhat dim :-)

I'll update this thread as I go along.

Regards,
                                  Haakon
                                  • 14. Re: Images not showing - Weblogic 10.3.3 - APEX 4.0
                                    Haakon
                                    kris, just to clarify and eliminate any doubt; it is the APEX Listener your're referring to as having been a bad zip for 6 hours?
                                    I downloaded a new zip-file of this, but the version number is the same as the previous one. All filesizes are the same too.
                                    Will give it a new try though.
                                    1 2 Previous Next