8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2010 3:48 AM by Philippe Florent RSS

RAC on active/passive nodes

We have configured Oracle 10G RAC on hp servers with service guard enabled.The problem is the servers are in active/passive mode.
      Can you tell me the advantages & disadvantages of this kind of setup.

• 1. Re: RAC on active/passive nodes
          Can anybody share their views on this plz....
          • 2. Re: RAC on active/passive nodes
            The main advanages of active/passive nodes is that

----Node A is active
            ----Node B is passive until/unless Node A fails
            ----Only one Oracle license is required

Oracle RAC (2 nodes) supports active-passive mode enabling 1 node to "do the work" whilst node 2 remains comparatively idle,s so here we are not utizing the resources of node2.

Why dunt you use active/active

Active/active failover clusters achieve load balancing. Since at least one instance is active on each node at any given time (assuming no failover), workload can be spread across the servers. The efficiency of workload balance depends on the ability to partition workload across multiple, independent instances.
            • 3. Re: RAC on active/passive nodes
              Hi thanks for the reply,

The scenario here is,the servers are on os level clustering.So at operating system level it is active/passive mode.
              But at database level it is in active/acvtive mode only.

Please share your views on this regarding the advantages & disadvantages.

• 5. Re: RAC on active/passive nodes
                Can anybody confirm whether RAC setup is possible on active/passive os clustering??

• 6. Re: RAC on active/passive nodes
                  Khaja ,

as per I know , it's possible . But I am not sure it's call RAC or not.

OS level you can have active / passive connecting to same storage . If active fails , it gets switched to passive . Heard this in one training . Don't have much details.

• 7. Re: RAC on active/passive nodes

I am not an OS expert, but as per your current configuration.You are using Active/Passive for OS clustering.but as per the current mode one node will be sitting idle unless and until primary nodes gets failed.It means that oracle clients will be connecting to only primary OS and another node will be sitting idle,s o it means that here we are not utilising RAC features here. I may be wrong
                    • 8. Re: RAC on active/passive nodes
                      Philippe Florent
                      To build a cluster in active/passive mode you don't even need RAC. We still have active/passive Tru64 clusters in 8i/9i for old applications and no RAC : the instance is only part of the Digital (then Compaq then HP...) CAA service.
                      Beginning with HP-UX on the new servers (Tru64 won't be supported for long) we used RAC but we didn't use McServiceguard. Oracle Clusterware is OK, it is very similar to Digital's even in the commands (crs_stat instead of caa_stat etc.)
                      McServiceGuard could have enhanced the configuration (port aggregation for network redundancy for example) but a lighter solution like APA can be used.
                      Best regards