This content has been marked as final. Show 12 replies
Thanks for sharing your experience with oracle XE on Windows 7 64 bit
I installed on Windows 7 32 bit - and have the same problem with Object Browser which you reported with IE8 (32).
Oracle support on XE seems to be extremely backward. I would have thought thta they would have sorted out these gremlins long ago.
The only response I got from this group was to the affect that Windows 7 is not on their supported list (nor is Vista).
Your info on curing the Object Browser problem by changing from IE8 (32) to IE8 (64) got me thinking. I was experiencing the Object Browser problem on Windows 7 (32) with IE8 (32). I switched to Google Chrome (ver 5.0.375.127) - and Object Browser now works.
So it looks like IE8 (32) is the problem.
An earlier email from another user reported the Object Browser problem with Windows XP - I wonder if it is IE8 (32) that is the problem in that case also.
Is there anyone else out there with a recent installation of Oracle XE and IE8 ? Are you experiencing the Object Browser Problem? Is it cured by using another WWW Browser?
I keep having this problem with the home page...
I've installed everything by default, disabled my firewall, added 127.0.0.1 to the Intranet locations on IE8 settings, checked the availability of port 8080...
and still nothing!!
I've even uninstalled and reinstalled!
Neither IE nor Firefox would open the homepage...
Any help would do...
Many of the Apex glitches, especially the obiect browser can be fixed with an Apex upgrade. The out-of-the-box 2.1 version is older than firefox 2. Not much older than firefox 1.
For user 827434 ... is the database running, check the endpoints in a lsnrctl status and start a new thread ...
EmPhi - thank you very much.
I had this issue with Excel 2003 on Windows 7 64bit trying to connect to Oracle XE
ODBC problem using Access 2003
When trying to use a created ODBC connection in MS Access 2003 an “ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified” error occurs. The cause is that MS Access 2003 is located in Program Files (x86) and this name is in the pad string used in the ODBC connection data. The Oracle TNS can not handle the ( ) used in Program Files (x86). The solution for this is to copy the msaccess.exe file form C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11 to a different folder without using ( ) and use that file to start Access.
Moving the EXCEL.exe to the C:\ drive worked.
I was having the same TNS error using VFP9. I moved the VFP root folder from "Program Files (x86)" to "Program Files" and I was able to make a connection. However, this did not correct the error in using SQLPro. I still cannot get SQLPro to connect.
I have not upgraded my IE7 to IE8 on Windows 7 64bit and have not had any issues.
After configuring XE on Windows 7 , if you are getting a TNS connection error , try the following.
1) In the ODBC connection , enter the TNS service name as localhost:1521/XE , where XE is my service name mentioned in my tnsnames.ora. This should solve the connection issue and can access the database using the sys user id.
Note : Each time you reboot your machine , the following need to be done.
(i) Navigate to C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\BIN
(ii) Locate the exe file LSNRCTL.EXE and run it with administrator privileges ( right click asn select run as administrator )
(iii) enter stop ( e.g LSNRCTL > stop ) and wait until it is successfully completed
(iv) Turn-off the Wireless ( if ON)
(v) enter start ( e.g LSNRCTL > start ) and wait until it is successfully completed
(vi) Navigate to All Programs --> Oracle Database 10g Express Edition
(vii) Run the "Stop Database" as Administrator and wait for the successfully completed message.
(viii) Turn-on the Wireless and wait for few seconds.
(ix) Navigate to All Programs --> Oracle Database 10g Express Edition
(x) Run the "Stop Database" as Administrator and wait for the successfully completed message.