This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2011 7:29 AM by 890539 RSS

ODBC driver doesn't appear in ODBC data source

237415 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

Before I posted this information request, I check in the forum if I could find information regarding my ODBC Driver installation problem bout I didn't find anything.

I am looking to connect to an application created with Visual Basic. The application must to connect to the Oracle database via ODBC

I installed the ODBC client which come with a package ODAC101040 the installation went smoothly and I did configure the database as well.

I tried to create a data source, I couldn't find the Oracle Driver. I opened the registry and there is not Oracle ODBC Driver under the ODBC

if I have to create the oracle registry link how do I do this?

I need your help and I have a reward for this help
  • 1. Re: ODBC driver doesn't appear in ODBC data source
    gdarling - oracle Expert
    According to the download info, 10204 odac comes iwth ODBC.. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-101290.html

The Oracle ODBC driver won't be called "Oracle ODBC Driver", it will be named after the home you install it into. For example, "Oracle in OraHome101".

Do you have sqora32.dll in your BIN directory?

Do you have "Oracle In OraXXXX" in your registry under HKLM\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers\ ?

Did you by chance install onto a 64 bit OS? If so, you'll need to look in the 32 bit administrator instead of the 64 bit administrator.

Note that 10.1 has been desupported for quite a while now.. I'd recommend using something more current. 11.1 can connect to a database as far back as 9.2.0.4.

Hope it helps,
    Greg
  • 2. Re: ODBC driver doesn't appear in ODBC data source
    795263 Newbie
    I'm having the same problems...I installed 11.2....I tried the instantclient...still nothing shows up when I create new data source. Only SQL shows up...no oracle....how can add an oracle odbc data source on windows 7?
  • 3. Re: ODBC driver doesn't appear in ODBC data source
    gdarling - oracle Expert
    You need to provide more info:

1) Did you install Instant client from the IC download, or via the OUI?
    2) Did you install 32 bit or 64 bit software?
    3) Is the OS 32 bit or 64 bit?
    4) does Sqora32.dll exist in the Oracle home?

Thanks
  • 4. Re: ODBC driver doesn't appear in ODBC data source
    756733 Newbie
    Hi, I've the same problem.

I've installed the client via OUI.

The setup I've downloaded is a 32-bit installer, but my system is Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, and ye, the file Sqora32.dll exists in my Oracle Home.
  • 5. Re: ODBC driver doesn't appear in ODBC data source
    797374 Newbie
    Hi.

I am also having this problem. EDIT: Not having this problem anymore...
    I have Windows 7 64bit Ultimate.
    I have tried downloading both the 64bit and 32bit installation packages, and there is no change.
    The only driver showing in Reg: HKLM\Software\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers is the default SQL server.
    I've been installing the 11.2 version of Oracle, both the full package with ODBC and the instant-client with ODBC.
    None is giving me a selectable ODBC driver in Windows...
    EDIT:
    I just checked the HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers
    And there were a lot of drivers there.
    And I found them when i started the odbcad32.exe from c:\windows\SysWOW64 (Had to be started from the folder, and not from run only)

Edited by: user3029590 on Sep 13, 2010 12:32 AM
  • 6. Re: ODBC driver doesn't appear in ODBC data source
    798002 Newbie
    user3029590,

have you also found a solution to use these ODBC drivers?
  • 7. Re: ODBC driver doesn't appear in ODBC data source
    gcurrier Newbie
    the ODBC Administration you need to use is the 64 bit version. The 32 bit version that you are probably using does not know how to connect you to your database (which is why you are not seeing the driver in the -32 bit- list). Navigate to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe . Use that and your driver should pop up when trying to create a System DSN. (I pulled my hair out for a few hours looking for this answer - I hope it's what you needed).
  • 8. Re: ODBC driver doesn't appear in ODBC data source
    gdarling - oracle Expert
    Just to clarify, the odbc admin in c:\windows\syswow64 is the *32-bit* administrator. The odbc admin in c:\windows\system32 is the 64 bit administrator. Kinda bad naming convention there huh? :)

Greg
  • 9. Re: ODBC driver doesn't appear in ODBC data source
    804084 Newbie
    Hello,
    I am trying to use Access 2007 on Windows Server 2008 R2 64 to access an Oracle database.

I have installed client 10.2.0 which is visible from odbcad32.exe in C:\Windows\System32, however I need to see the client from C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32 since that is where Access gets the System DSN I need.

How can I get the SysWOW64 data source to list the Oracle ODBC driver? I fear I have screwed too much up in forum advice!

Thanks for your help!
  • 10. Re: ODBC driver doesn't appear in ODBC data source
    gdarling - oracle Expert
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32 is the 32 bit odbc admin, and you get drivers to show up it by installing 32 bit odbc drivers/software.
    If you see the driver in C:\Windows\System32 on a 64 bit OS, you have 64 bit oracle client software.
    Add a 32 bit home.

Greg
  • 11. Re: ODBC driver doesn't appear in ODBC data source
    815638 Newbie
    user3029590 wrote:
    Hi.

I am also having this problem. EDIT: Not having this problem anymore...
    I have Windows 7 64bit Ultimate.
    I have tried downloading both the 64bit and 32bit installation packages, and there is no change.
    The only driver showing in Reg: HKLM\Software\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers is the default SQL server.
    I've been installing the 11.2 version of Oracle, both the full package with ODBC and the instant-client with ODBC.
    None is giving me a selectable ODBC driver in Windows...
    EDIT:
    I just checked the HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers
    And there were a lot of drivers there.
    And I found them when i started the odbcad32.exe from c:\windows\SysWOW64 (Had to be started from the folder, and not from run only)

Edited by: user3029590 on Sep 13, 2010 12:32 AM
    Thank you so much! I was having a similar issue with the 32bit drivers on a 64bit system. WHY on earth Microsoft named its 64bit driver manager AND the 32bit manager the same name is beyond me. Ran the odbcad32.exe from SysWOW64 and my oracle drivers were there!
  • 12. Re: ODBC driver doesn't appear in ODBC data source
    846512 Newbie
    i am using windows-7 64 bit.
    i did whatever you told here.
    test connection was successful but when i used in code it didnt work ,its showing ERROR [IM002] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified.please help
  • 13. Re: ODBC driver doesn't appear in ODBC data source
    696513 Newbie
    nkulu1,

I do the same thing you do. What I have found is:

1) it is best to compile and run my VB.NET (& C#) apps as 32 bit apps (even though they are running on 64 bit Windows 7).
    2) Install the 32 bit version of 11gR2 (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/112010-win64soft-094461.html and download the “Oracle Database 11g Release 2 Client (11.2.0.1.0) for Microsoft Windows (x64)”.
    3) Use the 32 bit version of ODBC Administrator (C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe) as the default 64 bit version won't see 32 bit drivers.

When I tried to write my app to work only using the 64 bit drivers, it didn't work. The answer I got was that I was using libraries that only worked in 32 bit mode. As I am only using the Oracle ODBC drivers, I wasn't sure what I was using that caused the problem, but when I compiled and ran in 32bit mode it all worked on the win 7 systems. End users can not tell any difference between the 32 bit version and the 64 bit version except that the 32 bit version doesn't crash the way the 64 bit version did.

Take care,

JustMe
  • 14. Re: ODBC driver doesn't appear in ODBC data source
    856275 Newbie
    Did you get a fix for this ? I am also facing the same issue. Pls post the fix if you ever got one. Thanks.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points