6 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2011 6:56 AM by Stefan Obermeyer

No Connections at startup of SQLDeveloper on MAC OS X

OraTone
      PROBLEM: when I start SQLDeveloper on MAC OS X, I cannot access any previous connections, nor can I create any new ones, I just have a blank SQLDeveloper window with nothing in it.

DETAILS:
      I was running SQLDeveloper 1.5.4 Build MAIN - 5940 on a Mac Pro running OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard) for months without any problems, then I upgraded to Java 1.6.0 and that's when the database connections vanished from the interface and I don't have the ability to create new database connections. When I try to create a new database connection, I can select the all the appropriate menu options, but the window to create a new connections just never appears.

TROUBLESHOOTING ATTEMPTS:
      I tried downloading the latest release of SQLDeveloper 2.1.1.64.45 from Oracle, unarchiving it in a new empty directory and starting it, but it has same problem, unable to create new database connections.

Then I figure I'd squash the problem by upgrading to Snow Leopard (10.6.4) and I did that successfully, then confirmed I am using Java 1.6 in terminal:
      $ java -version
      java version "1.6.0_20"
      Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02-279-10M3065)
      Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.3-b01-279, mixed mode)

In an attempt to get a clean install of SQLDeveloper, I removed the following directories:
      rm -r $HOME/Library/Application\ Support/SQL\ Developer
      rm -r $HOME/.sqldeveloper/

then started the newest version of SQLDeveloper I had just downloaded and still has same problem, unable to create new database connections. I can select the menu items to create a new database connection, but the window to define the database connections just never appears.

I have laptop running the same version of Snow Leopard and Java as my MacPro machine, and SQLDeveloper works on the laptop, so I copied the functioning SQLDeveloper.app directory from that machine to my Mac Pro, but SQLDeveloper would still not work on my Mac Pro, it has the same problem, no connections appear in the interface.

Has any one else solved this problem in Mac OS X 10.6.4 ( SnowLeopard ) ?
        • 1. Re: No Connections at startup of SQLDeveloper on MAC OS X
          OraTone
          When I start SQLDeveloper in terminal window, here are the errors I get:

cd /SQLDeveloper 4.app/Contents/Resources/sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper/bin

$ ./sqldeveloper

Oracle SQL Developer
          Copyright (c) 1997, 2009, Oracle and/or its affiliates.All rights reserved.

Exception initializing 'oracle.dbtools.raptor.RaptorDBAddin' in extension 'Oracle SQL Developer': java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: oracle.i18n.text.converter.CharacterConverterOGS.getInstance(I)Loracle/i18n/text/converter/CharacterConverter;
               at oracle.i18n.text.OraLinguistic.getInstance(OraLinguistic.java:321)
               at oracle.i18n.text.OraCollator.getInstance(OraCollator.java:487)
               at oracle.i18n.util.OraLocaleInfo.getOraCollator(OraLocaleInfo.java:1256)
               at oracle.i18n.util.OraLocaleInfo.getLinguisticSort(OraLocaleInfo.java:337)
               at oracle.dbtools.raptor.config.DBConfig.<clinit>(DBConfig.java:324)
               at oracle.dbtools.raptor.RaptorDBAddin.initialize(RaptorDBAddin.java:126)
               at oracle.ideimpl.extension.AddinManagerImpl.initializeAddin(AddinManagerImpl.java:407)
               at oracle.ideimpl.extension.AddinManagerImpl.initializeAddins(AddinManagerImpl.java:214)
               at oracle.ideimpl.extension.AddinManagerImpl.initProductAndUserAddins(AddinManagerImpl.java:128)
               at oracle.ide.IdeCore.initProductAndUserAddins(IdeCore.java:1949)
               at oracle.ide.IdeCore.startupImpl(IdeCore.java:1573)
               at oracle.ide.Ide.startup(Ide.java:703)
               at oracle.ideimpl.DefaultIdeStarter.startIde(DefaultIdeStarter.java:35)
               at oracle.ideimpl.Main.start(Main.java:184)
               at oracle.ideimpl.Main.main(Main.java:146)
               at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
               at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
               at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
               at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
               at oracle.ide.boot.PCLMain.callMain(PCLMain.java:62)
               at oracle.ide.boot.PCLMain.main(PCLMain.java:54)
               at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
               at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
               at oracle.classloader.util.MainClass.invoke(MainClass.java:128)
               at oracle.ide.boot.IdeLauncher.bootClassLoadersAndMain(IdeLauncher.java:189)
               at oracle.ide.boot.IdeLauncher.launchImpl(IdeLauncher.java:89)
               at oracle.ide.boot.IdeLauncher.launch(IdeLauncher.java:65)
               at oracle.ide.boot.IdeLauncher.main(IdeLauncher.java:54)
               at oracle.ide.boot.Launcher.invokeMain(Launcher.java:713)
               at oracle.ide.boot.Launcher.launchImpl(Launcher.java:115)
               at oracle.ide.boot.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:68)
               at oracle.ide.boot.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:57)
          Exception initializing 'oracle.dbtools.raptor.standalone.RaptorStandaloneAddin' in extension 'Oracle SQL Developer Extras': java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class oracle.dbtools.raptor.config.DBConfig
               at oracle.dbtools.raptor.utils.URLChooserShortcuts.<clinit>(URLChooserShortcuts.java:35)
               at oracle.dbtools.raptor.standalone.RaptorStandaloneAddin.initialize(RaptorStandaloneAddin.java:178)
               at oracle.ideimpl.extension.AddinManagerImpl.initializeAddin(AddinManagerImpl.java:407)
               at oracle.ideimpl.extension.AddinManagerImpl.initializeAddins(AddinManagerImpl.java:214)
               at oracle.ideimpl.extension.AddinManagerImpl.initProductAndUserAddins(AddinManagerImpl.java:128)
               at oracle.ide.IdeCore.initProductAndUserAddins(IdeCore.java:1949)
               at oracle.ide.IdeCore.startupImpl(IdeCore.java:1573)
               at oracle.ide.Ide.startup(Ide.java:703)
               at oracle.ideimpl.DefaultIdeStarter.startIde(DefaultIdeStarter.java:35)
               at oracle.ideimpl.Main.start(Main.java:184)
               at oracle.ideimpl.Main.main(Main.java:146)
               at oracle.ide.boot.PCLMain.callMain(PCLMain.java:62)
               at oracle.ide.boot.PCLMain.main(PCLMain.java:54)
               at oracle.classloader.util.MainClass.invoke(MainClass.java:128)
               at oracle.ide.boot.IdeLauncher.bootClassLoadersAndMain(IdeLauncher.java:189)
               at oracle.ide.boot.IdeLauncher.launchImpl(IdeLauncher.java:89)
               at oracle.ide.boot.IdeLauncher.launch(IdeLauncher.java:65)
               at oracle.ide.boot.IdeLauncher.main(IdeLauncher.java:54)
               at oracle.ide.boot.Launcher.invokeMain(Launcher.java:713)
               at oracle.ide.boot.Launcher.launchImpl(Launcher.java:115)
               at oracle.ide.boot.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:68)
               at oracle.ide.boot.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:57)
          Exception in thread "EditorLoader" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class oracle.dbtools.raptor.config.DBConfig
               at oracle.dbtools.raptor.oviewer.base.ViewerAddin.loadXMLEditors(ViewerAddin.java:221)
               at oracle.dbtools.raptor.oviewer.base.ViewerAddin$1$1.run(ViewerAddin.java:130)
               at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:637)
          Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class oracle.dbtools.raptor.config.DBConfig
               at oracle.dbtools.raptor.oviewer.base.NavSelectionListener.viewSelectionChanged(NavSelectionListener.java:176)
               at oracle.ide.view.View.fireViewSelectionChangedImpl(View.java:495)
               at oracle.ide.view.ViewDecorator.fireViewSelectionChangedImpl(ViewDecorator.java:59)
               at oracle.ide.view.View.fireViewSelectionChanged(View.java:485)
               at oracle.ide.view.View.updateSelectionImpl0(View.java:444)
               at oracle.ide.view.View.updateSelectionImpl(View.java:429)
               at oracle.ide.view.View.updateSelection(View.java:306)
               at oracle.ideri.navigator.DefaultNavigatorWindow$4.viewSelectionChanged(DefaultNavigatorWindow.java:1108)
               at oracle.ide.view.View.fireViewSelectionChangedImpl(View.java:495)
               at oracle.ide.view.View.fireViewSelectionChanged(View.java:485)
               at oracle.ide.view.View$2.actionPerformed(View.java:349)
               at javax.swing.Timer.fireActionPerformed(Timer.java:271)
               at javax.swing.Timer$DoPostEvent.run(Timer.java:201)
               at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
               at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:633)
               at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:296)
               at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:211)
               at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
               at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:196)
               at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:188)
               at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)
          • 2. Re: No Connections at startup of SQLDeveloper on MAC OS X
            This resolved my issue with not being able to import/see any connections from an older version of SQL Developer -

I created a export of my connections, called it connections.xml

Then installed the latest version SQL Dev.

I could import the connections but when I exited and started SQL Dev back up, all my connections were gone, this included any new ones I created.

So, I tried this and it's working for me so far...

On a Windows PC, I went to: program files - UserID - Application Data - SQL Developer - system2.1.1.64.39

Within this directory, there is a directory names something like o.jdevelper.db.connection.<bunch of numbers>

I copied my "connections.xml" into this directory.

Started SQL Dev, and boom, I have my connections back. I have even created new ones and changed some exsiting ones without any issues. I have restarted SQL Dev several times to make sure everything was still there.
            • 3. Re: No Connections at startup of SQLDeveloper on MAC OS X
              OraTone
              Although your solution is for Windows and I am on a Mac OS X, I appreciate the details that may help someone else or myself if this problem happens again in the future.

I was able to resolve my problem and found the root cause on my Mac running OS X Snow Leopard. I resolved my problem the hard way, then stumbled upon the easy way.

First, I resolved my problem the really hard way, I just rebuilt my MacPro machine, formatted the hard drive and reinstalled Snow Leopard OS. Following installation, I first installed SQL Developer and made sure it worked, then installed JDeveloper and made sure it worked. This was the long way to solve my problem.

Remarkably, shortly after installing some additional software the problem resurfaced, none of my database connections would show up in SQL Developer and Jdeveloper often crashed with errors related to same oracle.dbtools.raptor.RaptorDBAddin seen in terminal window output in prior forum entry above.

THE PROBLEM:
              The problem was related to a piece of software I installed called SQLEditor, a data modeling tool. To connect to Oracle databases with SQLEditor, I must install Oracle's JDBC drivers.

The Oracle drivers are available from Oracle at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/jdbc-10201-088211.html
              I had to download two files from this page:
              ojdbc14.jar

orai18n.jar
              Both of which then go into directory /Library/Java/Extensions/ on my Mac.

Upon installing this JDBC drivers, I was able to connect to SQLEditor for Mac to Oracle, but when I returned to using Oracle's SQLDeveloper and JDeveloper, all the database connections vanished. So there was a definite conflict between using Oracle's JDBC drivers for a third party data modeling tool (SQLEditor) and the JDBC drivers (or whatever database connection drivers) that are used by Oracle's SQL Developer tool and Oracle's Jdeveloper product.

THE SOLUTION: remove the JDBC drivers needed for 3rd party product.
              cd /Library/Java/Extensions/
              rm ojdbc14.jar

rm orai18n.jar

Following the removal of the JDBC drivers used by SQLEditor tool, I restarted SQL Developer and Jdeveloper and all my database connections were back!
              The SQL Editor tool's ability to connect to Oracle was now removed, but for me, I prefer to use data modeling tools in Jdeveloper, so I am fine with that lose.

So, it appears if you install database connection drivers, like Oracle's JDBC drivers, for 3rd party products that connect to Oracle, it may conflict with the ability of SQL Developer and Jdeveloper to connect to Oracle. If I was a Java guru, I probably could have figured out a way to make my 3rd party data modeling tool using Oracle's JDBC driver live harmoniously together with SQL Developer and Jdeveloper on the same machine, but perhaps some else can post a fix for that issue.

Edited by: OraTone on Sep 15, 2010 10:55 AM
              • 4. Re: No Connections at startup of SQLDeveloper on MAC OS X
                I was facing the similar issue on "Sql Developer Version 2.1.1.64", that helped me to restore connections on startup.

Thanks
                • 5. Re: No Connections at startup of SQLDeveloper on MAC OS X
                  John McGinnis-Oracle
                  Copying the Oracle JDBC drivers and internationalization support into /Library/Java/Extensions will put those versions of the files as first on the classpath for all java programs executing on the machine. As SQL Developer has some version dependencies as far as the JDBC drivers, this can cause problems for us. What you might be able to do is to copy the drivers from the SQL Developer install instead of the Oracle Client install. It's still not going to be ideal - should a future version of SQL Developer change the drivers it is using, you will need to re-copy the drivers. A better solution is to see if you can specify a classpath just for SQLEditor.

- John
                  SQL Developer Team
                  • 6. Re: No Connections at startup of SQLDeveloper on MAC OS X
                    Stefan Obermeyer
                    Thank You very much for this suggestion. I was stuck with this problem on my Mac for months and this finally did the trick.
                    Btw.: if You still want to use SQL Editor besides SQLDeveloper you can do by copying the newest Oracle JDBC Drivers to /Library/Java/Extensions/
                    after removing the old drivers that where shipped with SQL Editor. You can find the appropriate drivers in
                    /Applications/SQLDeveloper.app/Contents/Resources/sqldeveloper/jdbc/lib. (ojdbc6.jar and ojdbc6dms.jar)
                    After copying them I was able to connect to Oracle from both programs.