12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2013 7:06 AM by EdStevens RSS

Oracle 11gR2 ODBC driver

Hi,

I have installed Oracle 11gR2 client(Admin Option) on Windows 7. I am struggling to add a Data Source using ODBC DataSource Administrator wizard. I could not find the Oracle ODBC driver in the list of drivers available in the wizard. Oracle Universal Installer is showing that ODBC driver is installed. Could anyone help me how to add an Oracle ODBC data source using this wizard?

Thanks in advance,
      Sreekanth
        • 1. Re: Oracle 11gR2 ODBC driver
          Zoltan Kecskemethy
          Hm this could be a bug.
          I just checked my client and I have the same issue.

I hacked 10g installer and installed it to W7 and its ODBC driver does show up...
          It is in the driver tab. I found it uses one dll which is ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqora32.dll
          and it has its registry keys at HKLM\Software\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers\Oracle in Oracle_HOME_NAME

but nothing similar registry keys for 11g ODBC driver however dll exists (ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqora32.dll) in 11g home too...

(I have multiple oracle install, 10gR2 + 11gR2)
          • 2. Re: Oracle 11gR2 ODBC driver
            apex_disco
            I haven't try it yet; but possibly http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-101290.html might help?

Download Includes
            Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio 11.2.0.1.2
            Oracle Data Provider for .NET 4 11.2.0.1.2
            Oracle Data Provider for .NET 2.0 11.2.0.1.2
            Oracle Providers for ASP.NET 4 11.2.0.1.2
            Oracle Providers for ASP.NET 2.0 11.2.0.1.2
            Oracle Database Extensions for .NET 4 11.2.0.1.2 -- for upgrade only
            Oracle Database Extensions for .NET 2.0 11.2.0.1.2 -- for upgrade only
            Oracle Provider for OLE DB 11.2.0.1.0
            Oracle Objects for OLE 11.2.0.1.0
            Oracle Services for Microsoft Transaction Server 11.2.0.1.0
            Oracle ODBC Driver 11.2.0.1.0
            Oracle SQL*Plus 11.2.0.1.0
            Oracle Instant Client 11.2.0.1.0
            • 3. Re: Oracle 11gR2 ODBC driver
              I agree - this could be a bug; but not sure if it is of Oracle Installer or of Windows. I wanted to generate ER diagram of an existing schema in Oracle database using Enterprise Architect code enginerring feature which uses ODBC source. The interesting part is that Enterprise Architect is intelligent enough to add Oracle ODBC source.

Thanks,
              Sree
              • 4. Re: Oracle 11gR2 ODBC driver
                Same issue here, installed "Oracle 11g Release 2 ODAC 11.2.0.1.2 with Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio" and no ODBC Driver shows up.
                • 5. Re: Oracle 11gR2 ODBC driver
                  Forgot to mention running Windows 7.
                  • 6. Re: Oracle 11gR2 ODBC driver
                    If you are using 64bit win7 with a 32bit client (I think there is a bug with the 64bit client that wont let it install) it might be pointing at the wrong location. See metalink note ID 308645.1. Basically try this: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe and you should see all of your drivers. Hope this helps.
                    • 7. Re: Oracle 11gR2 ODBC driver
                      C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe is showing all the drivers. Thank you very much.
                      • 8. Re: Oracle 11gR2 ODBC driver
                        Its not a Bug

check both ODBC sources. I am you will find your drivers. :)

The 32-bit version of the Odbcad32.exe file is located in the %systemdrive%\Windows\SysWoW64 folder.
                        The 64-bit version of the Odbcad32.exe file is located in the %systemdrive%\Windows\System32 folder.

Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942976
                        • 9. Re: Oracle 11gR2 ODBC driver
                          Hi

I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit server, on which, I have installed Oracle 11 g (version 11.2.0.1.0).The ODBC drivers are available in the Administrative Tools -> ODBC. I believe they are the 64 bit ODBC drivers.The 32 bit drivers are not available in the C:/Windows/SysWOW/ODBC.exe. How can one install the 32 bit ODBC driver.

I found ODAC 11.2 Release 2 (11.2.0.1.2) with Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio in the link mentioned below
                          [http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-101290.html]

Is is okay to install the setup (Note: the versions do not match, however the installation file has the the ODBC drivers for 11.2.0.1.0 version as well.
                          If yes ,can some one help me install the same. I am finding it difficult to do the same as installation is a little complicated

Thanks in advance.

Regards
                          Vivek
                          • 10. Re: Oracle 11gR2 ODBC driver
                            EdStevens
                            986226 wrote:
                            Hi

I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit server, on which, I have installed Oracle 11 g (version 11.2.0.1.0).The ODBC drivers are available in the Administrative Tools -> ODBC. I believe they are the 64 bit ODBC drivers.The 32 bit drivers are not available in the C:/Windows/SysWOW/ODBC.exe. How can one install the 32 bit ODBC driver.

I found ODAC 11.2 Release 2 (11.2.0.1.2) with Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio in the link mentioned below
                            [http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-101290.html]

Is is okay to install the setup (Note: the versions do not match, however the installation file has the the ODBC drivers for 11.2.0.1.0 version as well.
                            If yes ,can some one help me install the same. I am finding it difficult to do the same as installation is a little complicated

Thanks in advance.

Regards
                            Vivek
                            ============================================================================

Welcome to the forum. Did you notice that you were responding to a message that is over TWO years old?

Before proceeding, please read the forum FAQ. The link is in the upper right corner of this very page.

After reading the FAQ, please open your own thread, describing your own problem and what diagnostic steps you have already taken.

Moderator - please lock this thread.

Before you open your own thread, I will tell you this ... the odbc drivers do not get installed with a default installation of the client. After doing your 'shake it out of the box' installation, go back and do a 'custom' installation. Pay attention at the screen where you specify ORACLE_HOME (Installation directory). It will want to install into a new home, and you need to override that to select the existing home. When you get to the screen that lists components to install, read the list and choose accordingly.
                            • 11. Re: Oracle 11gR2 ODBC driver
                              EdStevens
                              986226 wrote:
                              Hi

Thanks in advance.

Regards
                              Vivek

Welcome to the forum. Did you notice that you were responding to a message that is over TWO years old?

Before proceeding, please read the forum FAQ. The link is in the upper right corner of this very page.

After reading the FAQ, please open your own thread, describing your own problem and what diagnostic steps you have already taken.

Before you open your own thread, I will tell you this ... the odbc drivers do not get installed with a default installation of the client. After doing your 'shake it out of the box' installation, go back and do a 'custom' installation. Pay attention at the screen where you specify ORACLE_HOME (Installation directory). It will want to install into a new home, and you need to override that to select the existing home. When you get to the screen that lists components to install, read the list and choose accordingly.
                              • 12. Re: Oracle 11gR2 ODBC driver
                                EdStevens
                                986226 wrote:
                                Hi

Thanks in advance.

Regards
                                Vivek