13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2010 2:56 PM by user9034165 RSS

OBIEE 11G AdminServer Windows Service Not Deploying EM

JFuter
      All,

I've installed OBIEE 11G on a 64-bit Windows 2003 server and everything seems to be working fine when I run the BI services via the start menu. I'd like to get the Windows services created so I can logoff the machine and keep the environment running. I manually installed the Weblogic server and can create a Windows service for my sample non-OBIEE domain without issue. When I try basically the same script, with the parameters changed accordingly, my OBIEE domain's Weblogic Administration Console comes up fine, but EM is not working. When I look at the Administration Console's Deployments it's saying there are errors deploying the biadminservices and biadminutils Enterprise Applications. When I run the OBIEE AdminServer via the startup script, startWebLogic.cmd, there are no issues. When I debug the service (beasvc -debug "service_name"), my -delay parameter does not seem to be working. I've tried it with quotes around the delay number and without to no avail.

If anyone has any thoughts on what might be going on here I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm thinking it must have something to do with the delay since when running via the startWebLogic.cmd script it states there is a 16 millisecond delay.

Thanks in Advance,

Josh
        • 1. Re: OBIEE 11G AdminServer Windows Service Not Deploying EM
          JFuter
          All,

Anyone have anything similar happening? Anything closely related at this point would be appreciated as I'm quite stuck on this and having to bring up the environment every morning and shut it down every night is quite annoying.

Thanks,

Josh
          • 2. Re: OBIEE 11G AdminServer Windows Service Not Deploying EM
            JFuter
            When I try to start the biadminservices and biadminutils via Administration Console, it gives me the following error: 'java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: oracle.as.jmx.framework.wls.spi.JMXFrameworkProviderImpl'. I tried adding the .jar file to the classpath for my Windows service script and it didn't help. Also, when I look at Startup and Shutdown classes, I see 'JMX Framework Startup Class' listed.
            • 3. Re: OBIEE 11G AdminServer Windows Service Not Deploying EM
              JFuter
              Somnath,

They actually do provide scripts with the install: 'Create_Windows_Service.cmd', 'InstallSvc.cmd', and 'Remove_Windows_Service.cmd'. The first one I've listed is very similar, if not the same thing, as you've posted. I've been following the instructions in the manual, and it does not work. I went ahead and logged a SR, to which they logged a bug: 'Bug 10117712 - ADMIN SERVER SET UP AS WINDOWS SERVICE CAUSE EM TO FAIL'.

Thanks,

Josh
              • 4. Re: OBIEE 11G AdminServer Windows Service Not Deploying EM
                Turribeach
                We had the same problem and this is the solution a colleague of mine came up with. In the script that you create to install the Admin Server as a Windows Service add an extra call to the following environment file just before the call to installSvc.cmd:

call "[full path to OBIEE 11g install]\user_projects\domains\bifoundation_domain\bin\setDomainEnv.cmd"

It's very flaky and a bit of a hack. This batch files are clumsy and prone to have errors. But it works if you add the above. A proper enterprise system should really install services automatically.

Edited by: Turribeach on Sep 21, 2010 5:00 PM Edited message to make clear where the change needs to be done
                • 5. Re: OBIEE 11G AdminServer Windows Service Not Deploying EM
                  JFuter
                  Turribeach,

When you say 'before you install the service modify uninstallService.bat', I assume you meant to say 'modify Create_Windows_Service.cmd'. I did as you mentioned, adding an additional call before the call to 'installSvc.cmd', and it wouldn't even bring up my Administration Console. I then kept the call to 'setDomainEnv.cmd' inside 'Create_Windows_Service.cmd' but moved the call to 'installSvc.cmd' to the end of 'setDomainEnv.cmd'. I was then able to bring up the Administration Console but EM is still not working with the same issue as before. I'm assuming you are using 32 bit Windows? I'm on 64.

Thanks,

Josh
                  • 6. Re: OBIEE 11G AdminServer Windows Service Not Deploying EM
                    Turribeach
                    Sorry, just edited my post. Here is the script we used, Windows Server Enterpise 2003 32bits:

echo off
                    SETLOCAL
                    set DOMAIN_NAME=bifoundation_domain
                    set USERDOMAIN_HOME=[OBIEE11 Full Path]\user_projects\domains\bifoundation_domain
                    set SERVER_NAME=bi_server1
                    set PRODUCTION_MODE=true
                    set JAVA_OPTIONS=-Dweblogic.Stdout="[OBIEE11 Full Path]\user_projects\domains\bifoundation_domain\servers\bi_server1\logs\WinService.out" -Dweblogic.Stderr="[OBIEE11 Full Path]\user_projects\domains\bifoundation_domain\servers\bi_server1\logs\WinService.err"
                    set MEM_ARGS=-Xms40m -Xmx250m

set ADMIN_URL=http://[SERVER NAME]:7001/

call "[OBIEE11 Full Path]\user_projects\domains\bifoundation_domain\bin\setDomainEnv.cmd"
                    call "[OBIEE11 Full Path]\wlserver_10.3\server\bin\installSvc.cmd"
                    ENDLOCAL
                    • 7. Re: OBIEE 11G AdminServer Windows Service Not Deploying EM
                      Turribeach, thank you for the information. I'd like to offer one addendum / clarification, please.

In your post of 20-Sep at 9:10 a.m., you stated:

"In the script that you create to install the *Admin Server* as a Windows Service, add an extra call ..."

I added that call (to setDomainEnv.cmd) into the script that creates the Admin Server service, and created both services. However, that only allowed the Fusion Middleware Console to be available. OBIEE 11g (port 9704) was still not available.

I deleted both services, and added the call to setDomainEnv.cmd into the script that creates the Managed Server (bi_server1) service.

And BINGO! All WebLogic services and OBIEE are working fine now.

So... the call to setDomainEnv.cmd is required in BOTH scripts - the one that creates the AdminServer service (beasvc bifoundation_domain_AdminServer) and the one that creates the Managed Server service (beasvc bifoundation_domain_bi_server1).
                      • 8. Re: OBIEE 11G AdminServer Windows Service Not Deploying EM
                        Turribeach
                        Thanks for the correction Mark. Yes we might have added the extra call to both scripts. It's a pitty that we need to fix Oracle's mess. We effectevely doing free testing for them. I look at the MOS weekly updates and nearly 20% of the SRs are for OBIEE 11g. If I was the PM of the OBIEE 11g Testing Team I will be hiding away where no one could see me...
                        • 9. Re: OBIEE 11G AdminServer Windows Service Not Deploying EM
                          I have to agree. They left us waiting on this release for how long? And it still looks like this? Geeze...

Unfortunately, like all things at Oracle, the first time out of the gate is never right.

It's amazing that Larry is a multi-billionaire, because his staff, from top to bottom, are lousy at ever getting anything right the first time, and usually the second time. I don't think they really care about doing a good job. They sure don't act like it. What a pathetic effort.
                          • 10. Re: OBIEE 11G AdminServer Windows Service Not Deploying EM
                            Well, I THOUGHT everything was good to go. As it turns out, I have another problem.

I have two servers, with OBIEE 11g and WebLogic installed on both.

Server #1 runs just fine with the solution mentioned above. Both the AdminServer and the biserver_1 services run perfectly, the WebLogic console and OBIEE both run normally. Looking at the log files, both services show a status of RUNNING at the very end of the startup. All is well on Server #1.

Now let's move to Server #2. The services install OK, they start OK, and I can open the WebLogic console in the browser, but I can't run OBIEE (Error 404 - Not Found). Diagnosis shows that the startup of the Managed Server service (bi_server1) ends with a status of ADMIN when its service starts. But when I start the services using Start ... All Programs ... Oracle Business Intelligence ... Start BI Services, the startup of the Managed Server service ends with a status of RUNNING.

Any idea why the manual startup would result in a RUNNING status, while the service-based startup would result in an ADMIN status?
                            • 11. Re: OBIEE 11G AdminServer Windows Service Not Deploying EM
                              JFuter
                              All,

The 64-bit environment will act a little differently, at least it did with mine. The above mentioned is part of the solution, adding the call to the setDomainEnv.cmd file for both the AdminServer and the ManagedServer (bi_server1). You must also modify the commEnv.cmd file in the %MW_HOME%/wlserver_10.3/common/bin directory. Look for the section that starts with '@rem set up JVM options' and find your type of Java, either Oracle or Sun. Modify the MEM_ARGS liine to something like this 'set MEM_ARGS=-Xms512m -Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -XX:+UseSpinning'. Without the increase I was getting a 'PermGen space' error, once I increased it a little bit I was getting a 'Java heap space error'. When I increased it a second time to the above it finally worked.

I was finally able to get this going with the help of a SR that went to a bug that went back to an SR which then got transferred to the WebLogic team who finally had the solution.

Thanks,

Josh
                              • 12. Re: OBIEE 11G AdminServer Windows Service Not Deploying EM
                                Turribeach
                                Many thanks for the update Josh. This just proves that there was zero testing done by Oracle in some of the different types of set ups. Even our Oracle Pre Sales reps were telling us wait at least for .4 patch release, if not .5.
                                • 13. Re: OBIEE 11G AdminServer Windows Service Not Deploying EM
                                  user9034165
                                  I took a slightly different route on W2k8 (32-bit), by creating a scheduled task that runs at startup to execute the "Start BI Services" script. I had to modify one of the config files so it didn't ask for the weblogic password, but it works.