This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2012 1:04 PM by 972235 RSS

DAC Server As Windows Service in 7.6.1

646090 Expert
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Everyone,

I hope this is an easy question. I was hoping to start the DAC Server on a Windows Server 2003 64bit OS as a service. When I run startserver.bat and log off, the DAC Server dies and I don't want to leave a user logged in all the time so I would like to run the DAC Server as a Windows Service.

I found this blog: http://obiee-tips.blogspot.com/2010/06/dac-server-as-service-in-101341.html

He shows me how to do it using that javaservice command, which I'm not entirely opposed to, however, is this the correct way to do it? Is it supported by Oracle?

I couldn't find anything to in the documentation that indicated the correct route to take. Ironcially, it shows how to nohup on Unix/Linux but it doesn't show the equivilent for windows. Were they just being lazy?

Thanks for the help.

-Joe
  • 1. Re: DAC Server As Windows Service in 7.6.1
    user11173172 Explorer
    Joe,

In most of OBIEE/OBIA implementations, I have seen customers using javaservice to setup OC4J & DAC server as a Windows service. I never heard of any objections from Oracle, but used to let the client know that this was not a part of Oracle Documentation.

DAC Server as Windows Service

call config.bat
    javaservice -install "Oracle BI DAC Server Service" "<Java path>\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll" -Xms256m -Xmx1024m "-Djava.class.path=%DAC_CLASSPATH%"
    "-Duser.dir=%DAC_HOME%" -start com.siebel.etl.net.QServer -description "Oracle BI DAC Server Service"

Regards,
  • 2. Re: DAC Server As Windows Service in 7.6.1
    646090 Expert
    Thanks user11173172!

That's kind of what I thought.

-Joe
  • 3. Re: DAC Server As Windows Service in 7.6.1
    972235 Newbie
    I have tried to create a windows service for DAC but I am getting an error. Could you please help me in solving that.

I was able to create the windows service. But when I tried to start it, it is throwing an error "The service on Local computer started and stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do" and service is not starting.

In the event viewer I have observed that it "Could not find the service class" and "Failed to invoke service start function".

Please help me solve this.

DAC version: 10.1.3.4.1
    Windows server 2003 R2

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points