This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2010 9:24 PM by DarrylBurke RSS

Forums should have a {code} button

amardeep.sidhu Pro
Currently Being Moderated
Not sure if it is possible in Jive or not but it should have a { code } button (along with Bold, Italic etc etc) on Post New Thread page. How simple the job of asking someone to the post the stuff using { code } tags would become !
  • 1. Re: Forums should have a {code} button
    783956 Journeyer
    amardeep.sidhu wrote:
    Not sure if it is possible in Jive or not but it should have a { code } button (along with Bold, Italic etc etc) on Post New Thread page. How simple the job of asking someone to the post the stuff using { code } tags would become !
    I support that idea. Less typing is always good :)

John.
  • 2. Re: Forums should have a {code} button
    PhHein Guru Moderator
    I'm certain that that will happen after the migration of the Java forums. With the amount of code posted there it's inevitable to have a code button.
  • 3. Re: Forums should have a {code} button
    amardeep.sidhu Pro
    Also it is easier to tell a newbie to "select the code and click the CODE button" than "wrap it with { code } [remove space...blah blah...]"

;)
  • 4. Re: Forums should have a {code} button
    amardeep.sidhu Pro
    PhHein wrote:
    I'm certain that that will happen after the migration of the Java forums. With the amount of code posted there it's inevitable to have a code button.
    That would be great !

Cheers !!!
  • 5. Re: Forums should have a {code} button
    PhHein Guru Moderator
    amardeep.sidhu wrote:
    Also it is easier to tell a newbie to "select the code and click the CODE button" than "wrap it with { code } [remove space...blah blah...]"

;)
    Why remove spaces?

Post your code between a pair of {code} tags.
    That is: {code} .. your code goes here ... {code}
  • 6. Re: Forums should have a {code} button
    783956 Journeyer
    amardeep.sidhu wrote:

;)
    It would certainly make it easier to explain what they should do. Some of them will do it (which is nice) ... others... I wonder if ease has much to do with their not using it ;) (I don't want to mention the "virtues" that prevent them from using the currently available tags) ;)
    select code_tag 
      into forum 
      from javascript_table;
    John.
  • 7. Re: Forums should have a {code} button
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    PhHein wrote:
    As if there's no code posted on the non Java based Oracle forums? ?:|
    amardeep.sidhu wrote:

;)
    No need to tell them to remove space if you write it yourself using { noformat } tags around it.
    i.e. you can use {noformat}
    {noformat} in your posts without it being effective.  (to see what I did, just reply to my post and quote it and you'll see the tags)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
  • 8. Re: Forums should have a {code} button
    amardeep.sidhu Pro
    Why remove spaces?
    BluShadow's post explains that :)
  • 9. Re: Forums should have a {code} button
    amardeep.sidhu Pro
    No need to tell them to remove space if you write it yourself using { noformat } tags around it.
    {noformat} in your posts without it being effective.  (to see what I did, just reply to my post and quote it and you'll see the tags)
    Oh yes...Thanks !!! I was missing this.

I myself need a {noformat}
    {noformat} button...along with a {noformat}{noformat}{noformat} one ;)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
  • 10. Re: Forums should have a {code} button
    jgarry Guru
    amardeep.sidhu wrote:
    Oh yes...Thanks !!! I was missing this.

I myself need a {noformat}
    {noformat} button...along with a {noformat}{noformat}{noformat} one ;)
    I for one would like to be able to use something like the code tag,
    except for the annoying irrelevant colors on keywords
    . Have I missed an option that already does that?
    (I don't want to argue with word wrapping using the greater than sign on each line).
  • 11. Re: Forums should have a {code} button
    DarrylBurke Guru Moderator
    The [code][/code] tags also work. [code]CODE[/code] will display as
    CODE
    And {code} can also be posted without a {noformat}.

db
  • 12. Re: Forums should have a {code} button
    6363 Guru
    jgarry wrote:

I for one would like to be able to use something like the code tag,
    except for the annoying irrelevant colors on keywords
    . Have I missed an option that already does that?
    Yes.

There used to be a {noformat}
    {noformat} tag in an older version of the forum software that just used plain mono spaced font, that allowed you to make your own bold and italicized highlights within it. When the forum was upgraded to use the new tags it broke all the previously formatted code, as well as removed the greater than and less than inequality symbol, long threads and the read thread indicators, fondly remembered as red dotty thingies.

This use of the word upgrade of course redefines what we think of as up.

Edited by: 3360 on Sep 22, 2010 3:09 PM

Forgot { noformat } tags around {noformat}[pre]{noformat} which still does something, just not anything reliable or useful.

Edited by: 3360 on Sep 22, 2010 3:11 PM                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
  • 13. Re: Forums should have a {code} button
    tschodt Pro
    Using [i][/i] to "post-escape" [ and {
    ([[​i][​/i]code], {[​i][​/i]code}, {[​i][​/i]noformat})
    Darryl Burke wrote:
    The [code][/code] tags also work. [code]CODE[/code] will display as
    CODE
    Using ​ to "post-escape" [ and {
    ([​code], {​code}, {​noformat})
    The [​code] tags also work. [​code]CODE will display as
    CODE
    And {​code} can also be posted without a {​noformat}.
    Using &amp#91; ("[") and { ("{")
    ([code], {code}, {noformat})
    The [code] tags also work. [code]CODE will display as
    CODE
    Using %5d ("]") in links
    ([url http​://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/String.html#String%28byte[%5d%29]String(byte[] bytes))
    for [url http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/String.html#String%28byte[%5d%29]String(byte[] bytes)
  • 14. Re: Forums should have a {code} button
    tschodt Pro
    [url http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/String.html ] String  ^Javadoc^

It would be nice if we could use superscript in link text, but that seems to interfere with the tag

[url http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/String.html ] String ^Javadoc^
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points