8 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2011 9:01 AM by aksarben RSS

Oracle to change Sun Certification names

Oracle has changed the naming for all sun certifications,to fit existing oracle certification names,effective September 1st

for example SCJP 6 will be called "Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 6 Programmer"

May be Oracle will update all questions as well. Have a look:

Effective September 1, 2010, all Java, Oracle Solaris, MySQL, Open Office and Oracle Solaris Cluster certifications have been re-published and rebranded under the Oracle Certification Program. This change will not impact any of the exam objectives and with Oracle’s firm commitment to the growth of the program, these credentials will continue to be some of the highest recognized achievements in the industry.

I have taken one of the Sun training courses to help me prepare for the Sun Certification. Will the Sun courses prepare me for the Oracle exams?
      Yes, if you have taken any of the recommended training courses for the Sun certification, these courses will prepare you for the republished Oracle exams. The exam formats and objectives will remain the same as they were under Sun. Oracle will continue to launch new exams to align with the latest technology and product releases. To help you prepare for new releases, you should plan to take the training courses associated with the release of the exam you are taking.

So they will not change exam objectives and format. The statement doesn't say they would not change the exam questions.

For those who have gained Sun certificates before:

I currently hold a Sun Certification. How can I request a new certificate with an Oracle title?
      If you currently hold a Sun certification, we can only provide you with a certificate with the Sun Certification title.
        • 1. Re: Oracle to change Sun Certification names
          >

So? Do you have a question?
          • 2. Re: Oracle to change Sun Certification names
            forumKid2
            Does the name on the certificate really mean that much?
            • 3. Re: Oracle to change Sun Certification names
              ForumKid2 wrote:
              Presenting a certificate issued by an entity that is no more may be unacceptable to some.
              • 4. Re: Oracle to change Sun Certification names
                forumKid2
                Presenting a certificate issued by an entity that is no more may be unacceptable to some.
                Really? Do you have an example of such an entity? Are you saying a potential employer would frown upon let's say a Sun Java 6 certificate just because the company is now owned by Oracle?

I do agree that having the latest certification presented to a potential employer is a good thing, but not soley for a name change. For example someone I interviewed had on their resume that they were Java 2 certified. In that aspect they were better off telling me they had no certifications at all.
                • 5. Re: Oracle to change Sun Certification names
                  Skotty
                  forumKid2 wrote:
                  Really? Do you have an example of such an entity? Are you saying a potential employer would frown upon let's say a Sun Java 6 certificate just because the company is now owned by Oracle?

I do agree that having the latest certification presented to a potential employer is a good thing, but not soley for a name change. For example someone I interviewed had on their resume that they were Java 2 certified. In that aspect they were better off telling me they had no certifications at all.
                  "Java 2 certified" is not entirely clear. The marketers of Java first called it Java 2 for version 1.2, and continued to call it Java 2 up through version 1.4. In fact, the official title of the SCJP certification for version 1.4 is Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform 1.4. Even if it was for the quite old version 1.2, having the certification still demonstrates a number of Java skills having no certification does not, and also indicates that they have been in the Java field for a long time and likely have a lot of experience. Furthermore, updating to more recent certifications costs money. If that money is coming out of your own pocket, is it worth it? In many cases, I would say no.

Edited by: Skotty on May 10, 2011 5:51 PM
                  • 6. Re: Oracle to change Sun Certification names
                    EJP
                    Why? It doesn't change the nature of the certificate, or the fact that you got it.
                    • 7. Re: Oracle to change Sun Certification names
                      YoungWinston
                      forumKid2 wrote:
                      It does when they now make you take a damn Oracle "course". Five days, on average, at two and a half GRAND (there's Oracle rates for you), just to qualify, for (I suspect) exactly the same exam that USED to cost you two or three hundred. Wankers.

Winston
                      • 8. Re: Oracle to change Sun Certification names
                        aksarben
                        One approach would to search monster.com & other job sites & to see how many ads are specifically requiring "Oracle" certification. I suspect that, for now, the answer is very few. This will likely change over time, of course.