2 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2010 11:30 PM by EJP RSS

Marker Interface Usage

Hi All ,

Was wondering on the usage of the marker interface . Rather than Classes extending a interface would it not be good feature if Marker interface could follow the Dependency Injection path .
      For ex : if a user wants a class to behave a marker implementation it could be added as part of the constructor restricting the usage to the sudden class rather.This would rather provide a control on whether a subclass requires to be marked as well .

Any suggestion on the same .

Regards,Rajesh
        • 1. Re: Marker Interface Usage
          Could you try to rephrase your question a bit, I'm not entirely sure I understand what you ask.

Marker interfaces have always been kind of strange beasts and not everyone agrees that they are a good idea.

With the introduction of annotations their importance has been reduced further as annotations are often a better fit for a given goal than marker interfaces.

And from what I understand about your questions annotations also support the scenario you talk about: marking a base class while not forcing derived classes to carry the same mark works just fine with annotations.

Additionally annotations make the intention of simply providing some meta-data even clearer and have the added benefit of allowing additional data to be provided.

The only advantage that marker interfaces still have is type safety. If I have a method that handles some object and serializes it, then I can simply require a Serializable object, which wouldn't work if that would be indicated by an annotation.
          • 2. Re: Marker Interface Usage
            EJP
            Rather than Classes extending a interface would it not be good feature if Marker interface could follow the Dependency Injection path.
            Why would it be a good feature?
            For ex : if a user wants a class to behave a marker implementation it could be added as part of the constructor restricting the usage to the sudden class rather.This would rather provide a control on whether a subclass requires to be marked as well.
            Is that important?