This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2010 6:31 AM by 843798 RSS

Get declared methods

843798 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm using the following :
Method[] methods = c.getDeclaredMethods();
, in order to get the declared methods but this doesn't work correctly if the return type is of type generic eg.
 public LinkedHashSet<String> returnHash (String fileName)
I only get :
 public LinkedHashSet returnHash (String)
Is there a way to solve this?? I want to know the exact return type.
  • 1. Re: Get declared methods
    EJP Guru
    You can't. Generic types are erased. That's how it works.
  • 2. Re: Get declared methods
    843798 Newbie
    Is there another way to do this??
  • 3. Re: Get declared methods
    EJP Guru
    To do something you can't do? No.
  • 4. Re: Get declared methods
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert
    Jigsaw23 wrote:
    Is there another way to do this??
    1. Add a step to the build process that parses Java files.
    2. Collect the return type in a file with appropriate information so you can tie it to the original class.
    3. Modify your code so it looks up the return type from the file rather than via reflection.

Not sure how you would use it once you had it but there it is if you want it.
  • 5. Re: Get declared methods
    843798 Newbie
    Jigsaw23 wrote:
    Is there a way to solve this?? I want to know the exact return type.
    Extend the collections you want this for;
    class LinkedHashSet_String extends LinkedHashSet {} // so you know from the name
    or
    public LinkedHashSet.returnHash(String fileName, String dummyReturnTypeIndicator); // so you know from the second parameter
  • 6. Re: Get declared methods
    843798 Newbie
    Method.toString() only goes so far as to render the result of getReturnType() of the receiver. If the return type of a method might be a parameterized type, you can ask the Method getGenericReturnType(), decide whether the result is a Class or ParameterizedType, and if a ParameterizedType downcast the result and ask it getActualTypeArguments()...etc.

Depends on what you're looking to do.
  • 7. Re: Get declared methods
    843798 Newbie
    Advice for the OP: slow down. From your previous posts, you're trying to do things you're not ready to do. Reflection is a tricky sod, and I can see you don't yet understand fundamentals such as the difference between your filesystem and a view in an IDE, or why infinite recursion will cause a stack overflow. Seriously, don't try and do everything, you'll only ever end up not understanding anything. I'm not putting you down, or taking the mickey, seriously. Just do yourself a favour and don't overload yourself.