0 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2010 9:43 AM by 843798 RSS

Why do the jmx agent needs a network connection in order to properly start?

I have the following problem:

I have a linux system where a java web server application runs. The eth0 of this system is configured /started after the java application successfully starts, hence, when the jvm starts there is no network available.

The etc/hosts file contains the following:
      *127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost*
      *::1 localhost.localdomain localhost*

I want to monitor the JVM with Jconsole, hence I did change my startup script with the following:

-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate="false"
      -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl="false"
      -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port="port_number"

But when I start my system I get the following error in my logging:
      Error: Exception thrown by the agent : java.net.MalformedURLException: Local host name unknown: java.net.UnknownHostException: (none): (none)

And basically my server doesn’t start and as a consequence network stays down.

My question is why do the jmx agent needs a network connection in order to properly start???

I have as well the possibility to have a second network connection via an usb key.

ethusb0   Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr
      inet addr:134.188.254.100  Bcast:0.0.0.0  Mask:255.255.255.192
      inet6 addr:

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
      inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
      inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

This should be up before my start.sh is executed. I had added to my start script the following:

-Djava.rmi.server.hostname=134.188.254.100

Bu I still get the same error
      Error: Exception thrown by the agent : java.net.MalformedURLException: Local host name unknown: java.net.UnknownHostException: (none): (none)

Can you please help me with some suggestions??? I don't know how the jmx agent and the MBean Server are starting within the jvm hence i can't really understand my problem.

Thank you!

Roxana