3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2010 7:08 AM by 791266 RSS

Java Runtime Performance Issue

I have observed that over a period of time performance of Java gets degraded.
      There are few Java programs which are taking considerably more time to execute than it used to take before. I have found this senario on other developer's PC too. Same program takes less time to execute on non-developer's machine although their JAVA_HOME is of JDK and not JRE.
      I believe that Java stores some program log which degrades this performance.
      Does any one has any idea to restore Java performance without re-installing Java?

Thanks,
      Gaurav

Edited by: Gaurav_Joshi on ?? ??????, ???? ?:?? ???????
        • 1. Re: Java Runtime Performance Issue
          Generally non-developer's PC is used lightly - no heavy weight applications occupying the RAM/CPU. However, a developer's PC is always pushed to the limits....so, along with the java apps you are mentioning, there might be other processes consuming CPU/RAM.

If you really want to compare these two PCs, then you got to restart them and just run the java app being tested. Have you tried this?

I haven't heard of Java storing logs. Even if it does, it will only eat up the hard disc space. I believe that Java app's performance is directly related to the available CPU time, RAM (heap size) and the efficiency of the programming.
          • 2. Re: Java Runtime Performance Issue
            Slow degradation of performance have multiple causes, related to infrastructure, memory or the application problems itself. I have tried to consolidate thought over it in this article may be of your help.
            http://www.myhomepageindia.com/index.php/2010/02/09/investigating-java-lang-outofmemoryerror.html
            • 3. Re: Java Runtime Performance Issue
              >

Hi,

Please, don't resurrect old threads. I'm locking this one.

Kaj